• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Long Term Research/Purchase

mzpro5

Famous
In looking ahead I imagine I will be moving to Mom's by the end of the year.

I am going to be looking for a new pre/pro to replace the Outlaw 990 in large part for HDMI capabilities and have started a "pre/pro fund" to be used in about 10-11 months.

So what are some options I should consider. Would like to keep it at $1500 or less but could go as high as $2000 if it is a really quality product.

mzpro5 said:
Would like to keep it at $1500 or less but could go as high as $2000 if it is a really quality product.
I guess that rules out an Anthem Statement D2V. :teasing-tease:

I think in your situation you're only going to have 3 choices: Marantz, Integra and Onkyo Pro. If you're going to consider the latter, you know who to talk to. Of course, all of this is assuming you're after a dedicated processor. If you're open to using a receiver (with preouts), I think you'll find more features and lower prices.

Zing said:
mzpro5 said:
Would like to keep it at $1500 or less but could go as high as $2000 if it is a really quality product.
I guess that rules out an Anthem Statement D2V. :teasing-tease:

I think in your situation you're only going to have 3 choices: Marantz, Integra and Onkyo Pro. If you're going to consider the latter, you know who to talk to. Of course, all of this is assuming you're after a dedicated processor. If you're open to using a receiver (with preouts), I think you'll find more features and lower prices.

I am open to all serious suggestions at this time.

I am leaning to a pre/pro but would consider the receiver option if someone makes a good case for it with a specific product.

I think the Marantz gets the love these days, can't say it's better than the Onkyo, but it is sexy! Birdie says I know someone who might maybe be able to get some....maybe.

mzpro5 said:
I am leaning to a pre/pro but would consider the receiver option if someone makes a good case for it with a specific product.
The case would largely be price, followed by a variety of brands and feature set a close third.

In the pre/pro world, I think you're going to be looking at $1200-$2500, though two particular people I can think of will confirm that assertion. However, in the receiver world, you should know by now what the general consensus will be: find a receiver with all the features that YOU need for a price you're willing and able to pay and you're done. If you don't need 9.2 channels, HDMI 1.4, 3D, Audessey Superduper Room Correction EQ Anaylizing Setup Wizard and Extra Special SACD++++ decoding, you'll be able to find a receiver to suit your needs for a lot less.

-B- said:
I think the Marantz gets the love these days, can't say it's better than the Onkyo, but it is sexy! Birdie says I know someone who might maybe be able to get some....maybe.

^^^What he said.^^^

What are the true benifits of a Pre/Pro vs. using a receiver with Pre-outs?

Would you really notice a difference?

CMonster said:
I take it someone has lost faith that we'll ever see the Outlaw 978??? If so, you are not alone.

I lost faith quite a while ago.

If it weren't for the lack of HDMI support on the 990 I wouldn't be making the change. Sounds great and there are not any features I am necessarily interested in.

Perhaps that alone is not a sufficient reason to change.

I'm in the same boat Mz. I'm praying my old Toshiba HD ready RPTV (with no ATSC tuner & only has DVI/HDCP input) will last another year or more. My Marantz receiver is very old (1st one with DD decoding). The HDMI switching is important but I also think that in the coming year..........wifi, streaming of HD video options, USB, etc............are going to bust open (along time ago I heard rumors about wireless HDMI & I think Flint has heard some rumors as well).If history stays the same.............pre/pro's don't include all the latest tech till along time after the "smoke" clears on A/V receivers.
I'm leaning on a A/V receiver along with a new display (along with a newer BR player with apps/ethernet/wifi ). But I don't see me getting ESPN in my lifetime....I don't pay anyone for TV programing & have no plans to change.

I'm a bit irritated with HDMI handling on the Onkyo, which has been consistently flaky for me with both the 606 and the 885. If I were looking for a new pre/pro, I'd seriously look at Marantz.

PaulyT said:
I'm a bit irritated with HDMI handling on the Onkyo, which has been consistently flaky for me with both the 606 and the 885. If I were looking for a new pre/pro, I'd seriously look at Marantz.
I don't know what - if anything - they'd do different in their Integra line but I've not had one iota of HDMI issues. No handshaking problems, no nothing. It just works. Each and every time. So I'm surprised that this has happened to you enough that you'd mention switching brands because of it.

I looked around the web but cannot find any retailer/seller for the Integra 80.3. Anyone know who sells these?

Did see the Amazon has the Marantz AV7005 for $1600.

The Integra line is "not allowed to be shipped", technically speaking.

Would you consider a used unit?

Zing said:

So I would need to find a "physical" retailer? Hmmmmm

heeman said:
What are the true benifits of a Pre/Pro vs. using a receiver with Pre-outs?

Would you really notice a difference?

I think there are two reasons. While at Bat's GTG I mentioned that I really liked my Monitor Audio speakers but they seemed to sound a bit harsh at extreme listening levels (where I rarely if ever listen), and someone suggested buying a bigger power amp and using the front end of my receiver. That would be cheaper than buying a whole 'nuther receiver with more power.

The second reason: There's little in the way of advancements in power amp technology, but front-end tech seems to be changing yearly (HDMI 1.2, then 1.3, then 1.4, then 3D, then Dolby Digital TMX Pro EIEIO with Ninja™, etc; its cheaper to just buy a new front end and keep using your decent power amp, which can be perfectly sufficient for the next 20 or 30 years.

If I had it to do all over I think I would've gone with the Marantz prepro/power amp.

EDIT: I'm sorry Neil, I didn't read your question very well, your situation would require a separate power amp in both cases.
I guess starting from scratch it'd make no sense to buy a receiver knowing you'll be using the pre-outs, why pay for the amp section if you're not going to use it? But, in my case, where the receiver purchase has already been made, I'd see no problem using the pre-outs. Sure, a dedicated pre-pro might be designed better or have better features but that's an argument that could go either way depending on the specific equipment, and the "golden ears" in the room. ;)

CMonster said:
mzpro5 said:
Did see the Amazon has the Marantz AV7005 for $1600.

Outlaw has it for the same price plus they've re-written the user manual. And they'll buy back your 990: http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/av7005.html. Sorry, just holler if you're familiar with all the Outlaw stuff and you'd rather go in a different direction.

Thanks!

I used to follow the Outlaw website/stuff closely but got discouraged with them. I'll have to start following them again.

Zing said:

Sure always willing to consider.

Why miss out on a possible good deal?

Back