• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Long Term Research/Purchase

Do you need the balanced connections? My guess is no, so I'd look at the Integra 40.2. If you think you may ever utilize the balanced connections then the Integra 80.3, Onkyo Pro 5508, and Marantz AV7005 are all comparable. The Onkyo/Integras have a much prettier user interface AND output both HDMIs at the same time for dual monitor purposes while the Marantz doesn't, but they are ~$600 more. I just sold my 5507 in favor of the Marantz 7005 because it's cheaper than the 5508 and passes 3D over my outgoing 5507 which did not pass 3D. B and I can get you Onkyo easily, but curiously, they do not have an equivalent to the 40.2?!? I'm working on access to Marantz either directly or thru distribution, I simply have to send in the paperwork and hopefully we'll get approved. The truth is though that its a pretty big leap in cost beyond these 3 brands, although the Rotel rsp-1572 bridges the gap nicely from these 3 to the higher end w/o being ridiculously higher in price and it's damn pretty...

Integra DHC-80.3

1112.dhc803.jpg

And yes, it will process x 4000 video signal.

Rope

Rope said:
That will be hugely beneficial connected to his fixed pixel 58" flat panel. :teasing-tease:

Zing said:
Rope said:
That will be hugely beneficial connected to his fixed pixel 58" flat panel. :teasing-tease:

I do have long range plans for a projector in the final setup when I move.

But that will be a future thread.

Well it appears, that the 5508 from Onkyo is discontinued, or at least it isn't listed on their site any longer. Which tells me that the window is closing on that particular unit. I'd expect that quantities will be limited until they are gone for good. If you're looking a year out from now anyway, the market will be different both new and used, They all will have new products by then and perhaps some new players will step up to the plate with competitive products. If you were buying soon, this info would be useful, but really this info may not even apply a year from now unless you buy used. My guess a year from is that the same 3-4 companies will have similar options with up-to-date features for around the same money...

Batman said:
Well it appears, that the 5508 from Onkyo is discontinued, or at least it isn't listed on their site any longer. Which tells me that the window is closing on that particular unit. I'd expect that quantities will be limited until they are gone for good. If you're looking a year out from now anyway, the market will be different both new and used, They all will have new products by then and perhaps some new players will step up to the plate with competitive products. If you were buying soon, this info would be useful, but really this info may not even apply a year from now unless you buy used. My guess a year from is that the same 3-4 companies will have similar options with up-to-date features for around the same money...
Yeah I wondered about that myself. Haven't paid much attention to the market and just trying together a handle on what manufacturers are out there.

BUT I could juggle my budgets/financial plans if a really sweet deal was available. :eusa-whistle:

^ is there some kind of hidden meaning behind that last post? :think: :)

I just sold my 5507 on eBay for $850, the more recent 5508 screwed me on the value of that piece. I could have sold you that unit but it is in Michigan now...

EDIT: I'm sorry Neil... [/quote]
Who's Neil?[/quote]
Oh Jeez.
KEITH! I meant Keith. Sorry Keith! :doh: Brain Fart! [/Perry][/quote]

Who is Keith? heeman?[/quote]

Yea..............WTF????? :eek:bscene-buttred:

No one answered my stupid question anyway....... :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

heeman said:
EDIT: I'm sorry Neil...
Who's Neil?[/quote]
Oh Jeez.
KEITH! I meant Keith. Sorry Keith! :doh: Brain Fart! [/Perry][/quote]

Who is Keith? heeman?[/quote]

Yea..............WTF????? :eek:bscene-buttred:

No one answered my stupid question anyway....... :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:[/quote]

I thought Botch did, Neil. :teasing-tease:

Botch said:
heeman said:
What are the true benifits of a Pre/Pro vs. using a receiver with Pre-outs?

Would you really notice a difference?

I think there are two reasons. While at Bat's GTG I mentioned that I really liked my Monitor Audio speakers but they seemed to sound a bit harsh at extreme listening levels (where I rarely if ever listen), and someone suggested buying a bigger power amp and using the front end of my receiver. That would be cheaper than buying a whole 'nuther receiver with more power.

The second reason: There's little in the way of advancements in power amp technology, but front-end tech seems to be changing yearly (HDMI 1.2, then 1.3, then 1.4, then 3D, then Dolby Digital TMX Pro EIEIO with Ninja™, etc; its cheaper to just buy a new front end and keep using your decent power amp, which can be perfectly sufficient for the next 20 or 30 years.

If I had it to do all over I think I would've gone with the Marantz prepro/power amp.

EDIT: I'm sorry Neil, I didn't read your question very well, your situation would require a separate power amp in both cases.
I guess starting from scratch it'd make no sense to buy a receiver knowing you'll be using the pre-outs, why pay for the amp section if you're not going to use it? But, in my case, where the receiver purchase has already been made, I'd see no problem using the pre-outs. Sure, a dedicated pre-pro might be designed better or have better features but that's an argument that could go either way depending on the specific equipment, and the "golden ears" in the room. ;)

Wow.................I didn't see this..............sorry, Drinking Vodka!!!!

My Onkyo Receiver with Pre Outs was about $525 and I alreadtyhad a couple of Power Amps..............so I guess my question is that a PRE/PRO is about 2x the price so is there really a benefit???

Zing said:
PaulyT said:
I'm a bit irritated with HDMI handling on the Onkyo, which has been consistently flaky for me with both the 606 and the 885. If I were looking for a new pre/pro, I'd seriously look at Marantz.
I don't know what - if anything - they'd do different in their Integra line but I've not had one iota of HDMI issues. No handshaking problems, no nothing. It just works. Each and every time. So I'm surprised that this has happened to you enough that you'd mention switching brands because of it.

It's not an enormous huge deal, just irritations involving certain components working on certain hdmi inputs but not others - I have to swap them around until I find a configuration where all components work. Despite the fact that the hdmi input ports are supposed to be all equivalent and assignable. Even had this issue at T7's this summer, trying to get his system up and running after "the tip" and we were in a near panic because we were getting sound but no picture on the PJ, until we swapped around the inputs. No good explanation for why it happens.

Otherwise, I've been happy with my Onkyos.

I would be curious to know if the Marantz will allow one to use a BD player (sony or oppo) to do SACD audio only over HDMI without having the TV on, that's one of my "holy grail" type features. Again, not critically important, just something I'd like to be able to do. MZ can be a guinea pig. :laughing:

heeman said:
My Onkyo Receiver with Pre Outs was about $525 and I alreadtyhad a couple of Power Amps..............so I guess my question is that a PRE/PRO is about 2x the price so is there really a benefit???
I'll give you my personal experience. When I originally built my room, I got a very good deal on a Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver. I got it to hold me over until I was able to upgrade pre/pro w/ HDMI decoding and switching. I had it for several months before I made the upgrade to a pre/pro.

When I did upgrade, I was curious about the difference in 2 channel stereo. If memory serves, I originally connected the pre/pro w/ the same RCA cables I originally used w/ the Yamaha (as opposed to the XLRs I currently use). I do remember that the difference was real but not "night and day". The biggest different was what I'll call "precision" (no where close to the real definition of that word - but it's what I'll use). The instruments were more clearly placed in the soundstage and they had more detail. As I said, it wasn't draw-dropping, but it was definitely noticeable.

Now the big question: Is it worth the extra money? That is up to you. The improvement is not huge, but it is real and the only way to get that particular improvment is to go to a pre/pro, IMHO. I do believe in the improvement (along w/ the other benefits Botch mentioned) that whenever someone starts looking at receivers in the $1k price range, I highly recommend they look at seperates instead.

I'll tell you what, if you come to my GTG we can hook up the Mackies to my Yamaha RX-V867 and my Onkyo Pro 885 and play. Is that tempting?

John

PaulyT said:
I would be curious to know if the Marantz will allow one to use a BD player (sony or oppo) to do SACD audio only over HDMI without having the TV on, that's one of my "holy grail" type features. Again, not critically important, just something I'd like to be able to do. MZ can be a guinea pig. :laughing:
FWIW, my Yamaha will do that. Unfortunately you have to have the TV on to select the SACD audio, if the disk has more than one format or feature on it. Once I have the 5.1 playing, I then hit "Devices" on my Harmony and turn the TV off (it sends a couple hiccups to the receiver but after that it plays normally).

Botch said:
PaulyT said:
FWIW, my Yamaha will do that. Unfortunately you have to have the TV on to select the SACD audio, if the disk has more than one format or feature on it. Once I have the 5.1 playing, I then hit "Devices" on my Harmony and turn the TV off (it sends a couple hiccups to the receiver but after that it plays normally).
My Integra will do that too. The only time I "need" to turn on my PJ is when I want to watch a movie (and of course if I'm interested in seeing the content on a DVD-A). Otherwise, it never needs to be on.

just to chime in :
http://accessories4less.com/
is an authorized dealer for Marantz & I think also Onkyo (bough my factory refirbed Marantz MM9000 for $600 was listing new for around $1500) & I think Haywood bought his with them also.
Another authorized e-dealer for Marantz: ( & maybe Onkyo):
http://www.onecall.com/?PMNID=661
I bought some NHT SuperOnes from them....they are a dealer for NHT.
Just my :twocents-mytwocents:
I'm shy of Onkyo....they seem to have too many issues, but thats just me. I love Marantz and another brand that I'm considering is Denon (A/V receiver).
Here's a link for a factory refurbed (marantz refurbed) Marantz AV7005 for $1199.99 & free shipping...2 yr factory warranty:
http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-AV7005-Networking-AV-Preamp/Processor/1.html

Here's a link to authorized e-tailers for Marantz:
http://us.marantz.com/us/Dealer/Pages/Authorized_OnlineDealers.aspx

Back