• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Man of Steel!!

^ MOS is getting A LOT of good buzz inside of WBs studios..so much so that they are considering bringing back Christian Bale's Batman and teaming him up with Henry Cavill's Superman in a future Justice League/World's Finest type flick.

Trailer 3

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY[/youtube]

Batman said:
^ MOS is getting A LOT of good buzz inside of WBs studios..so much so that they are considering bringing back Christian Bale's Batman and teaming him up with Henry Cavill's Superman in a future Justice League/World's Finest type flick.
Now it seems this statement has a snowballs chance in hell, in other words, practically 0% chance of happening. I always knew it was a LONG shot but really wanted to see that happen.

DIYer said:
Batman said:
Trailer 3

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY[/youtube]
Looks like they hinted some Wolverine in that video (1:30).

Doubtful as one is Marvel and the other is DC, and I think what you thought was Wolverine, was just Henry Cavill(sp) with a beard.

Huey said:
Doubtful as one is Marvel and the other is DC, and I think what you thought was Wolverine, was just Henry Cavill(sp) with a beard.
I know but what I'm saying is that there's a resemblance.

About 15 of us saw it at an IMAX theater last month during Batman's GTG.

I can't speak for anyone else but I was left wanting and a bit disappointed.

Yeah I went in expecting SO much more. It wasn't a bad film in any sense. But it wasn't the HOME RUN I felt WB/DC desperately needed with this legendary character. I thought the overlaping styles during the film brought about by the story writing team of Nolan/Goyer clashing with Snyders directorial style were distractingly obvious too often throughout the movie. There were some high points though, the cast was superb, (especially Michael Shannon as Zod) the touching moments between Clark/Kal-el and his earth parents were well done. And I also thought Russell Crowe was BADASS as Jor-el.

I DO think that it's still the best Superman Movie and that I'll come to enjoy it more with repeated viewings, although some things will still be hard to overlook. Admittedly my expectations were stratospheric, so I was pretty ripe for a letdown. It's a solid base to move forward with a planned trilogy, and "move forward" in a positive way is exactly what I hope they do.

I thought mainly the fights were overdone and excessively long. Ok we get it, he's a badass. I just got tired of them smashing through buildings for like 20 minutes at the end.

Zing said:
About 15 of us saw it at an IMAX theater last month during Batman's GTG.

I can't speak for anyone else but I was left wanting and a bit disappointed.

That's how I took it also. Two and a half hours and that's all we got was my feeling. I also got so tired of the fight scenes between Zod and Superman got old and stale how many buildings can you get punched and crash through before enough is enough. This one should have been titled Zod of Krypton because he was more interesting and stole the show over Superman I thought. For me the 1st Christopher Reeves Superman is still King.

You guys are touching on some reasons why Superman is so incredibly difficult to get right. And TOTAL annihilation of whatever city these genre movies take place in is starting to get old. The more powerful the combination of both heroes & foes, the body count of innocent bystanders and demolished real estate multiply to ridiculous proportions...I'm just not sure there are many ways, if any, to get around that. That makes the failure of Green Lantern SO much more frustrating, the studio had the makings of a true space opera franchise within their reach and pissed it away. :angry-banghead:

Yeah... I think MOS suffers from three problems. Primarily is that based on the recent success of The Avengers and The Dark Knight franchises, expectations could not have been higher. It's a lot to ask for another franchise to live up to those standards. One other "problem" is exactly what Batman was talking about. These characters (Supes and Zod) are so powerful that shorter or less intense battles between them just wouldn't make sense. Finally Michael Shannon's portrayal of Zod did kind of steal the show.

Still. I'm a fan and I'll see MOS again as we'll and any sequels or spinoffs that may come.

from a technical point of view, i think what got to me the most was the whole 'syfy' camera effect as i call it. this is worse than the sun flares from star trek.

Syfy camera effect is essentially when they use the camera like our eyes, then they sway it a tad, then zoom into something that the director obviously wants you to see, then zooms out again to see the big picture, then zoom in a bit then a bit of sway.

That bothered me, especially with the spaceship scenes etc.

I also thought the fight scenes were, well, too long to a point it became bland.

The great part of it was showing how superman was a human first, then the afterthought of being an alien secondary was exceptionally done well. I like how he made us empathize with clark, as to how his being, his character, his principles were built. like a good sephia picture, this was done tastefully.

for some reason i wanted to see more costner movies (like er... that eastwood one, A perfect world), and see more of Crowe...

Good movie, hyperextended fight scenes to make it feel ... how do they call it these days? "epic", but other than the blitz and bang, his character buildup was exceptionally well done.

We watched this last night on BR in the HT. This is the first time we have seen this since seeing it at the IMAX in DelaWHERE, during Bats GTG this past summer.

Both of us thought that we could follow the story much better and it made much more sense this time. Could it be that we were just terribly hung over when we saw it at the IMAX, or was it just too overwhelming the first time.

All in all much better this second time, again WAY over the top, and they should have picked somebody much better for Lois.....

It does NOT make my list for demo material...............sorry!

Heeman I felt the insanely loud sound levels at the IMAX was more of a distraction. I loved being with all you guys at the theater but I enjoyed the movie itself more at home at a comfortable listening level.

Finally got a chance to see this yesterday. What is it with DC not having a sense of humor. The previous Superman movies all had their comedic moments, and Marvel does a great job of blending the action with moments of humor, but DC wants their movies to be so dark and non stop action. Like others, I was left a left a little disappointed with this as well.

^^ Hmmm it's always interesting to hear different takes. The movie isn't without it's flaws. I didn't take issue with the overall tone or lack of sense of humor. DCs two most marketable characters are Batman and Superman and there aren't many comic characters darker than Batman. But both are generally written very seriously in the comics. So if the studio stays true to the character that's what you're gonna get when it comes to those two. Also DC is desperately trying to establish a cinematic universe and they can't afford to gamble with comedic flops, it's bad for their goals in regards to the DCU and it's bad for the genre in general unless the main character's personality calls for it. In regards to MoS, I'll fully admit, Christopher Nolan (who's mostly responsible for the story along with David Goyer) really jives with my movie making tastes, even prior to TDK Trilogy and that only helped to reinforce my fandom. The problem for me is in the handoff to Zach Snyder and the execution of certain elements. I think you have to go a bit further down the lineup of DC characters to maybe get the sense of humor that's inherent with the character similar to Marvel's Spider-Man. The Flash or Green Lantern are more in line with that. I think they got the tone/personality correct with Superman in MoS. And the movie is not without it's moments of comic relief (I'm thinking of when Clark jacked up the trucker's cab when leaving the diner). Those moments ARE mostly in the beginning and drop off drastically when there's more at stake in the story...all that being said, I gave the movie a 6.5/10 when I first saw it and I'm sticking with that today. I was praying for and think the studio desperately needed a solid 9 at the time. It's a bit all moot now since the movie has a sequel that's been greenlit and they are moving forward with a DCU come hell or high water.

sidenote:

aside from the batman vs superman movie coming up, are there any new dcu movies coming out soon?

bats, have you seen the trailer for the new flash series coming out? i remembered the original 90's version, i liked it a lot. this one seems similar.

Back