• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Marvel Luke Cage on NETFLIX

hawk52

Watched the 1st 4 episodes. Takes place in Harlem which is different and really cool. The 1st set up the story with alot of action. It's isn't until the 4th episode you get the back story of how Luke gets his super powers. If your a fan of Marvel, check it out. A lot of twists and turns.

I'll finish it this weekend! Ten episodes down.

Luke Cage, Hero for Hire was a comic book fave of mine. I have the first two issues in pristine condition that I bought new way back in 1972.

I've not looked at them to see how well the series is tracking with the comics, but it seems like they're staying pretty true.

One thing that I have noticed is that, in comparison to sister series Daredevil and Jessica Jones, the writers are really taking time to flesh out the key characters, and Luke Cage in particular. I'm thinking that it's perhaps because the character goes way way back and that a lot of folks are far less aware of him (or had never heard of him prior to Jessica Jones) than with the other two.

I have been extremely impressed by the quality of the black actors (actresses) - a few of whom I had not seen before. However I have been disappointed by Alfre Woodard. I don't know if its her acting, her character, the writing, or how she's being directed, but she's just not connecting like the others are; surprising given what an accomplished actress she is.

Jeff

Watched the first few episodes today, very impressed so far. Didn't know anything about this character before, but I like the way it's developing.

So how does it stack up against the rest of this "Manhattan Universe" to you folks?

Personally I think they are all terrific - and that relative ranking is possible.

I'd rank them (from best to least best) as follows:

Jessica Jones

Daredevil

Luke Cage

Granted Daredevil has two seasons under its belt. I think there's more space in the rankings between Jones and Daredevil, than there is between Daredevil and Cage. It would be like giving Jones a 9, and Daredevil a 7, and Cage a 6 - but only when ranking just those three shows. In other words if Cage were ranked against The Green Arrow and The Flash, I'd give Cage the 9, Flash a 5 and Arrow a 2.

Discuss.

Jeff

Diamondback: Ah. Nothing like an aged Scotch. You know there was a time you'd cross a Scotsman and he wouldn't think twice about cutting your head off with a sword. I like a drink that encourages such ... decisiveness.

[ ... drinking Scotch while watching ... ]

So how does it stack up against the rest of this "Manhattan Universe" to you folks?

Personally I think they are all terrific - and that relative ranking is possible.

Jessica Jones

Daredevil

Luke Cage

Granted Daredevil has two seasons under its belt. I think there's more space in the rankings between Jones and Daredevil, than there is between Daredevil and Cage. It would be like giving Jones a 9, and Daredevil a 7, and Cage a 6 - but only when ranking just those three shows. In other words if Cage were ranked against The Green Arrow and The Flash, I'd give Cage the 9, Flash a 5 and Arrow a 2.

Discuss.

Jeff

I'd rank them as follows:

Daredevil

Luke Cage

Jessica Jones

Jessica Jones for me was really hard to get through. The story just seemed slow to me.

Jessica Jones

Daredevil

Luke Cage

Discuss.

Jeff

I think you analysis is pretty spot on. My wife liked Luke Cage the most, but my opinion is closer to yours.

Have you guys noticed the use of surround channels? The musical track places the muffled rhythm track in the rear channels while the melodic instruments are in the front. In addition, i have now experienced three instances where I was convinced my wife was walking into the HT behind me and I paused the show only to find the sound I heard was an ambient effect.

Okay... so last night I was watching episode 8 of Luke Cage... man... WOW! there were introspective melancholy scenes where Luke was walking around the city and the subdued music was playing... that music... it was mixed such that it appears to be coming from the middle of the room... right smack in the middle of my HT - like it was mysteriously emanating from nowhere.

This is one amazing soundtrack audio engineer.

I also love how they capture the groove of classic 70's AA pop-culture with the music, clothes, camera angles, and so on. It is like they got the best of the genre and modernized it appropriately.

Watched 10 through 13 last night . Interesting ending. Can't wait till next season. When you think it's over???????

Have you guys noticed the use of surround channels? The musical track places the muffled rhythm track in the rear channels while the melodic instruments are in the front. In addition, i have now experienced three instances where I was convinced my wife was walking into the HT behind me and I paused the show only to find the sound I heard was an ambient effect.
Yes. Amazing sound engineering.

Jeff

I know DD has two seasons, but I'd say Luke Cage is just right behind DD season #2 if not just as good. I like all three shows a lot, but Luke Cage and DD#2 were about dead even for me as my favs (I like the Punisher, so there's that reason). Just like with Robert Downing Jr with Ironman, Mike Colter has convinced me no one but him can play Luke Cage. Marvel/ABC has really been hitting the nails on the heads with the casting of these shows. I love the chemistry between the actors. I'm looking forward to Iron Fist and The Defenders.

Is it just me, or do you find yourself doing a little grooving with the music when the intro comes on? That has got to be some of the cooliest theme music to a TV show I've heard. The music throughout the show is awesome as well.

Plus Simone Missick (Misty Knight) is a hottie. :hearteyes:

Simone-Missick-e1441254691931.jpg

Is it just me, or do you find yourself doing a little grooving with the music when the intro comes on? That has got to be some of the cooliest theme music to a TV show I've heard. The music throughout the show is awesome as well.
The "live" music in Harlem's Paradise has really stood out to me.

Just finished last night... to avoid any potential for spoilers, i'll just say "I liked it". For me the ranking would be:
  1. DD#2
  2. Jessica Jones (David Tennant was amazing)
  3. DD#1
  4. Luke Cage
But these were all pretty bunched together -- none was WAY better/worse than the others.

Back