• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

More new (to me) speakers

Maybe its just me, but why muck up a great looking living room like you have with A/V components which will look way out of place, no matter where they're positioned.

I do not want to put a system in that room at all, but there is no place else to put my main system until the basement is done. The family room was not an option, due to the fireplace and room dimensions. The living room is the only spot available. Once I get phase one of the basement remodel completed, I will move the system down there. I estimate that will take two years.

I would just store the extra speakers until you can do it right. I have absolutely no complaints with my Family Room system which consists of a pair of stereo speakers and a subwoofer. The video content I watch is perfectly fine with that system.

I would just store the extra speakers until you can do it right. I have absolutely no complaints with my Family Room system which consists of a pair of stereo speakers and a subwoofer. The video content I watch is perfectly fine with that system.
Gets my vote!

In the meantime, the only modification to the room will be a few wall plates with binding posts. This is a very temporary setup until I get the basement done.

Phase 1 - Foundation work
Phase 2 - Game Room. This will eventually house a pool table

I cannot put the main setup in the family room, because there is no place to put my primary display. I have no interest in shelving the $6000, 75-inch display for several years. The plan is to put the system in the living room for a couple of years until I recover from buying, moving into and furnishing the house. Phase one of the basement build will be to build out the game room at the bottom of the stairs and move the main system down there until the theater build is done. Phase two will be to build the home theater. Phase three will be to build out the half-bath and wet bar. The final phase will be to finish out the game room with a pool table, dart board, bar tables, etc.

I meant pit them away and use them in the big HT you said you'd build.

Oh, you mean the surround speakers. I thought you were talking about the whole system. We'll see. I haven't completely decided what I'm doing yet. We just ordered a really comfortable power reclining sofa that we are going to put in the living room for now. Once the main system moves downstairs, the reclining sofa will go to the family room and we will reconfigure our Lovesac Sactional into a nice L-Shaped sectional in the living room. There is a master plan. It's just going to take awhile to get there (2-3 years).

I do not want to put a system in that room at all, but there is no place else to put my main system until the basement is done. The family room was not an option, due to the fireplace and room dimensions. The living room is the only spot available. Once I get phase one of the basement remodel completed, I will move the system down there. I estimate that will take two years.

What about using a spare bedroom until the basement is completed? That would work well and leave your living room as is.

Oh, you mean the surround speakers. I thought you were talking about the whole system. We'll see. I haven't completely decided what I'm doing yet. We just ordered a really comfortable power reclining sofa that we are going to put in the living room for now. Once the main system moves downstairs, the reclining sofa will go to the family room and we will reconfigure our Lovesac Sactional into a nice L-Shaped sectional in the living room. There is a master plan. It's just going to take awhile to get there (2-3 years).
I would prefer with that amount of time to use the system to its fullest. Worst case then get a dry wall person to patch the holes if you don't want the speaker plates anymore. Kind of what I've learned towards. My room I'm using will almost not really be used for the next owner the way I'm using it. So the holes or plates probably won't be a selling point. But we will be there 5 years at least. So I'm doing what I want and then have someone patch it up if necessary.

I'm actually pretty good at patching drywall, so I wouldn't even have to hire someone.

I also looked at using the bonus room above the garage, but the height of the knee wall, width of the room and slope of the ceiling will not allow it. The other issues were that I need an office and you have to go through the master bedroom to get there.

Let's recap:
1. Bonus Room: bad dimensions and terrible location
2. Spare Bedroom: in use for something else
3 Family room: fireplace

The living room is the only available space that works. Not sure why this is such a huge deal. I'm not doing anything to the room that I cannot easily undo and I'm only leaving it this way for a few years. It is not ideal, but we can live with it until we get the first phase of the basement finished. The reason it will be a few years is that I have to pay off a few credit cards, rebuild my cushion, put about $10k into preventative foundation work and move both the furnace and hot water heater. I'm about $50k away from starting on the room, so until then, this will have to do.

It’s not a huge deal. I think most of us are just expressing thoughts based on our experiences and preferences and generally think that mounting surround speakers in a living room, while making a fine listening environment, actually detracts from the look/feel of the house more than you’d benefit from the very minor amount of sound that comes from those two speakers. But it’s your house, none of us know your sensibilities and none of us are there to see how it looks.

It’s not a huge deal. I think most of us are just expressing thoughts based on our experiences and preferences and generally think that mounting surround speakers in a living room, while making a fine listening environment, actually detracts from the look/feel of the house more than you’d benefit from the very minor amount of sound that comes from those two speakers. But it’s your house, none of us know your sensibilities and none of us are there to see how it looks.

Especially if you're building a proper HT later.

I'm not mounting them. I'm just putting a couple plates with binding posts into the walls with the cables under the floor. The speakers are going to sit on stands. No wonder you guys think I'm nuts. That would look terrible.

I'll post some pictures when it is all done. I'm going to keep those surrounds as low key as possible.

Back