• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Move Over, TrueRTA

soundhound

On a lark, I downloaded the RTA Pro audio analyzer program for my Droid X. Surprise, the Droid makes a pretty good RTA! I guess I shouldn't be too surprised with the microphone quality in the Droid since condenser mike capsules are getting very good for very cheap: after all, the capsule in my calibration microphone project is about $2, and is very flat.

Below is a plot of my left main speaker with 12 band/octave resolution. The curve isn't as flat as it could be since I had to lay the Droid on a chair in order to take the picture, but when held next to my Bruel & Kjaer instrumentation microphone using TrueRTA, the curves match pretty closely. Note that the extreme bass region is accurately captured. Not bad for less than $6.

Attachments

• RTA Pro on Droid X.jpg
    RTA Pro on Droid X.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 1,250
Yeah but until I can do "print screen", resize and post it online all in one, I'll stick with old TrueRTA. :snooty:

Yeah, I've been using the free version for a few months. I think it's pretty amazing, for what it is. To DIYer's point, I do wish that there was a screen capture option. Oh, and a gain control too.

DIYer said:
Yeah but until I can do "print screen", resize and post it online all in one, I'll stick with old TrueRTA. :snooty:

I'll post those recommendations to the software maker. :teasing-tease:

milpool said:
Yeah, I've been using the free version for a few months. I think it's pretty amazing, for what it is. To DIYer's point, I do wish that there was a screen capture option. Oh, and a gain control too.

Yes, it would be nice to have a gain control.

Buy an iPhone and you screen capture whatever you want when ever you want..... :banana-rock:

I'm kinda surprised that Android devices don't have a simple way to do screen captures. You have to install third party apps with root access. On an iOS device you simply click the home and top buttons and a screen shot is saved to your photo album.

Towen7 said:
I'm kinda surprised that Android devices don't have a simple way to do screen captures. You have to install third party apps with root access. On an iOS device you simply click the home and top buttons and a screen shot is saved to your photo album.

Native screen capture would be nice, but its not worthwhile enough for me to go the Apple route. I considered an iPhone, but I just can't stomach the whole Apple thing as they are nowadays, with their tight control of their customers. I used a Mac Plus in the late 1980s for music composition because at the time they were the only game in town with decent MIDI support, and still have a Mac that I use for ProTools, but the company has just turned into the new evil empire IMHO.

recent trends on the digital console and live sound have been to connect your ipad or iphone to the console to run sound. Would apple start to capture live sound from the controls?

soundhound said:
.....since condenser mike capsules are getting very good for very cheap: after all, the capsule in my calibration microphone project is about $2, and is very flat......
Can you elaborate more. I'm not sure if I'm missing something or not.

I have a HTC Inspire phone and the RTA app and while it gets me in the right direction, that's all it does. Is the mic in the phone different?

I got my daughter a Gen1 iPad, would I be able to use that? Download the app and all of course.

Back