• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Mumford & Sons

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Superstar
#21
Just pre-ordered their new album - Babel - due out in September.

:text-link:

Will be really interesting to see what they come up with, and whether it lives up to my rather extreme expectations based on their first album...
 

No-L

Well-Known Member
#22
I did some sampling. It IS interesting and well done, however, I'm just not sure I can get on board.

But then again, I like Tom Jones....'nuff said.
LOLOLOLOL!!!
 

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!
Superstar
#23
PaulyT said:
T, I wasn't 100% thrilled by it the first time I listened to it either. I think I probably had it for ~6 months before I really got into it. Not even sure what changed in that time... just one day after setting it aside for a while, I listened to it again and was floored. I can't explain it.
I was that way with Guinness... :think:
 

Flint

"Do you know who I am?"
Superstar
#24
Everyone I know in Ireland HATES this band... Hates them with anger. They all say the music is typical, common, and boring - the stuff they hear from amateurs in pubs and folk festivals everyday. They cannot understand why the band is so popular. I took a poll of my team in Dublin and all 55 of them hated the music and upon asking many went into a heated trade about how awful they are.


Isn't it interesting how locals treat their own. "A prophet is always a fool in his home town."
 

smgreen20

Active Member
#25
Well, they're back with another album titled "Bable" due out Sept 25th. Being part Irish I can say I love them and will be preordering the newest album.
 

TKoP

Well-Known Member
#26
Flint said:
Everyone I know in Ireland HATES this band... Hates them with anger. They all say the music is typical, common, and boring - the stuff they hear from amateurs in pubs and folk festivals everyday. They cannot understand why the band is so popular. I took a poll of my team in Dublin and all 55 of them hated the music and upon asking many went into a heated trade about how awful they are.


Isn't it interesting how locals treat their own. "A prophet is always a fool in his home town."
Did they offer up some other band that they did like?
 

Barney

Longhorns, Cowboys, Spurs, & Rangers...love Texas
#27
TKoP said:
Flint said:
Everyone I know in Ireland HATES this band... Hates them with anger. They all say the music is typical, common, and boring - the stuff they hear from amateurs in pubs and folk festivals everyday. They cannot understand why the band is so popular. I took a poll of my team in Dublin and all 55 of them hated the music and upon asking many went into a heated trade about how awful they are.


Isn't it interesting how locals treat their own. "A prophet is always a fool in his home town."
Did they offer up some other band that they did like?
I'd like to know that as well, along with a great band from Scotland...
 

Flint

"Do you know who I am?"
Superstar
#28
Scotland is full of great bands, but the Irish generally HATE the Irish style. They didn't like the Coors, Lorena McKinneck, Irish Thunder, and so on. They love American artists and more ethnic music from other regions. Irish music is common. Its kinda like Austinites getting a little bored with Austin country rock and getting more excited about more foreign sounding stuff.
 

Barney

Longhorns, Cowboys, Spurs, & Rangers...love Texas
#29
I only have OTA...so I really love the PBS channels I get (4 channels...one is Spanish). Besides Austin City Limits etc...I'm really starting to love " Music Voyager". The guy..Jacob Edgar goes everywhere to check out music....but here lately I'm really interested in musicians from Israel. Hope to hear one of his trips to Scotland area.
Here's a link about this programming:
http://musicvoyager.com/

Pauly....this group reminds me of a trip I did to Indiana back in the early 70's & back off in the hills..........
 

Flint

"Do you know who I am?"
Superstar
#30
Alright, alright, alright.

I finally took some serious time to listen to Mumford & Sons. Was at a friend's house and everyone was busy with something else and I wanted to sit and rest, so I put in the older CD and plugged in the headphones he got on my recommendation and I listened. First I just tried a casual relaxed approach to see if the feel and emotions were appealing. Then I tried the deeper analysis of the instruments and musicianship. Finally I studied the recording itself for style, character, and editing prowress.

After three passes of the CD, I have come to the conclusion that I don't really find this band appealing at all. The songwriting uses all the same tired gimmicks hoisted on us in the post Emo whiner era (think mad at Dad alternative baritone rock). The arrangements are not that appealing. And the performances are average, at best. While the combination of Irish acoustical instruments and Canadian misery rock is interesting and kinda different, it really doesn't rise above either for me. I'd rather listen to the Chieftons and Pearl Jam separately.

But that's just me. I also never figured out how anyone could like Radiohead or anything U2 did after 1989.

You guys enjoy!
 

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Superstar
#31
Thanks for the honest opinion, Flint.


I've got their new (second) album, but am waiting for a time when I can sit and listen carefully to it.
 

No-L

Well-Known Member
#34
I sampled the new stuff. Although I guess I can understand the appeal - I still can't get on board. To me, they are like The Punch Brothers without the interesting, unique cleverness.

btw...I like Radiohead. LOL
 

mcad64

Well-Known Member
#36
Flint said:
Alright, alright, alright.

I finally took some serious time to listen to Mumford & Sons. Was at a friend's house and everyone was busy with something else and I wanted to sit and rest, so I put in the older CD and plugged in the headphones he got on my recommendation and I listened. First I just tried a casual relaxed approach to see if the feel and emotions were appealing. Then I tried the deeper analysis of the instruments and musicianship. Finally I studied the recording itself for style, character, and editing prowress.

After three passes of the CD, I have come to the conclusion that I don't really find this band appealing at all. The songwriting uses all the same tired gimmicks hoisted on us in the post Emo whiner era (think mad at Dad alternative baritone rock). The arrangements are not that appealing. And the performances are average, at best. While the combination of Irish acoustical instruments and Canadian misery rock is interesting and kinda different, it really doesn't rise above either for me. I'd rather listen to the Chieftons and Pearl Jam separately.

But that's just me. I also never figured out how anyone could like Radiohead or anything U2 did after 1989.

You guys enjoy!

Canadian misery rock. Woohoo... we have a new musical genre!! Who exactly are you talking about ? The Weakerthans? Great Lake Swimmers? I gotta know cuz I need to go out and get me some of this Canadian misery rock!!!
BTW, these guys remind me of the Avett Brothers...but I would rather listen to the Avett Brothers!!
 
D

Deleted member 133

Guest
#37
mcad64 said:
Flint said:
Alright, alright, alright.

I finally took some serious time to listen to Mumford & Sons. Was at a friend's house and everyone was busy with something else and I wanted to sit and rest, so I put in the older CD and plugged in the headphones he got on my recommendation and I listened. First I just tried a casual relaxed approach to see if the feel and emotions were appealing. Then I tried the deeper analysis of the instruments and musicianship. Finally I studied the recording itself for style, character, and editing prowress.

After three passes of the CD, I have come to the conclusion that I don't really find this band appealing at all. The songwriting uses all the same tired gimmicks hoisted on us in the post Emo whiner era (think mad at Dad alternative baritone rock). The arrangements are not that appealing. And the performances are average, at best. While the combination of Irish acoustical instruments and Canadian misery rock is interesting and kinda different, it really doesn't rise above either for me. I'd rather listen to the Chieftons and Pearl Jam separately.

But that's just me. I also never figured out how anyone could like Radiohead or anything U2 did after 1989.

You guys enjoy!

Canadian misery rock. Woohoo... we have a new musical genre!! Who exactly are you talking about ? The Weakerthans? Great Lake Swimmers? I gotta know cuz I need to go out and get me some of this Canadian misery rock!!!
BTW, these guys remind me of the Avett Brothers...but I would rather listen to the Avett Brothers!!
Mike,

You beat me to the punch.

I even Googled "Canadian misery rock" to see if I'd missed something in the last decade or three and turned up nothing that semed relevant.

Then again it might be Flint's take on our Canuck friendliness as in "misery loves company"! :)

Jeff (feeling less miserable than usual right now)
 

Batman

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Moderator
Famous
#38
M&S has a new album, "Wilder Mind" to be released May 4, alt nation has been playing the first single "Believe" quite a bit. I REALLY like it. Admittedly I never did give their first album a beginning to end listen and skipped the second entirely, and in general I like the "Irish" sound. I really do need to give them a fair chance, they're just never on my radar...
 

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Superstar
#40


Listening to this now and... it's... different. More electric guitar, no banjo, fewer acoustic and more electric instruments. More traditional pop drums. Lots of keyboards. I don't know, don't have a strong musical opinion yet, but they're certainly exploring a different sound from their first two albums.
 
Top