• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Music you played the shit out of!

It's weird, but I don't think I ever heard any NWA tracks until long after Dr. Dre and Ice Cube had established solo careers. I mean, I guess I'd heard of NWA as a kid, but I didn't know much about them other than that they were supposed to be badass. (I spent most of my time listening to awesome stuff like Poison and Chicago back in the late 80s.) I still haven't heard NWA's music for the most part. Though, I did used to have an MP3 of NWA's "Appetite For Destruction" on my iPod. That song has a beat that just hits hard. It starts driving and it just doesn't quit.

Kazaam said:
It's weird, but I don't think I ever heard any NWA tracks until long after Dr. Dre and Ice Cube had established solo careers. I mean, I guess I'd heard of NWA as a kid, but I didn't know much about them other than that they were supposed to be badass. (I spent most of my time listening to awesome stuff like Poison and Chicago back in the late 80s.) I still haven't heard NWA's music for the most part. Though, I did used to have an MP3 of NWA's "Appetite For Destruction" on my iPod. That song has a beat that just hits hard. It starts driving and it just doesn't quit.

where was i during the late 80's... oh yeah, i was into the cure back then! the smiths, morrissey, new wave stuff - both the A tracks and the B side too (depeche mode for example)...

i listened to NWA pretty much later too, almost after the chronic come to think of it. I had a deeper appreciation for old school rap AFTER listening and reading up on Dre. Tupac nor Big Poppa got nuthin on em.

After my NWA stint came another group that stayed pretty much in my cassette player...

Guns-N-Roses-37475.jpg

I used to be pretty big into Van Hagar. Played my 5150 and OU812 cassettes quite a bit. That's respectable, but unfortunately I also spent part of the Eighties listening to Journey. (I had friends who thought it they were cool. Well... At least 'Wheel in the sky' was good. But I cringe if I hear a lot of Journey's 80s stuff these days.)

Kazaam said:
I used to be pretty big into Van Hagar. Played my 5150 and OU812 cassettes quite a bit. That's respectable, but unfortunately I also spent part of the Eighties listening to Journey. (I had friends who thought it they were cool. Well... At least 'Wheel in the sky' was good. But I cringe if I hear a lot of Journey's 80s stuff these days.)

When this one came out, it was FANTASTIC!!!!!!

I guess it still is, just don't listen to it much.......

Attachments

• j.jpg
    j.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 179
Like I said, Escape was one of my earliest and most listened-to purchases. I still think Journey is awesome, no matter what Kaz thinks. :snooty: Ok maybe infinitesimally less awesome without Steve Perry, but the new guy - Arnel - is pretty darn good.

PaulyT said:
Like I said, Escape was one of my earliest and most listened-to purchases. I still think Journey is awesome, no matter what Kaz thinks. :snooty: Ok maybe infinitesimally less awesome without Steve Perry, but the new guy - Arnel - is pretty darn good.

Agreed, Steve really changed the band when he joined and Arnel just kept the band trying to sound like it was when Steve was in it!

PaulyT said:
Like I said, Escape was one of my earliest and most listened-to purchases. I still think Journey is awesome, no matter what Kaz thinks. :snooty:.

Yeah, yeah... whatever. ;)

Let me ask: Were either of you guys members of "The Journey Force"---the band's official fanclub? Because if not, then you weren't nearly as hard core as me! Keep in mind, I was probably only 12 years old; so I was allowed to do that kind of dopey thing. As part of my membership, I received a couple of 8x10 glossies of the band, plus a fancy card that supposedly granted me exclusive access to special Journey Force seating when the tour would run through town. Gosh, I was a stupid little kid.

I, too, listened to Escape a lot. As well as Frontiers and Raised On Radio. (Oh... that reminds me. Who here had an official Raised On Radio tour tee-shirt? I did, even though I never got to see the band live.)

Songs I still really like:

Wheel In The Sky
Lights
Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'
Stone In Love
Still They Ride

Songs that I still "kinda" like:

Who's Crying Now
Don't Stop Believing
Only The Young
Ask The Lonely

Songs that I don't hate entirely, but don't exactly like either:

Separate Ways (World's Apart)
Send Her My Love
After The Fall

Songs that I absolutely can't stand, anymore:

Faithfully
I'll Be All Right Without You
And all of the "Raised On Radio" album, to be honest

And this next song gets a category all its own because it's so flippin' horrible that it makes Ice Ice Baby sound good:

Open Arms

I often wonder how much awesomer Journey would have been had Greg Rollie stuck around and they could have made more songs like this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZLfjsqbx90[/youtube]

and

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-jUcrYsq4o[/youtube]

An interesting dynamic, to be sure; but if Jonathan Cain hadn't replaced him, then we might have been deprived of the "keytar".

Randy said:
Never been a poser and I have ALWAYS been a fan.

Well, I am a bit of a poser these days, cuz I soold my Harley and kept my T-Shirts, but that is another story.

NNNNOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scared-yipes:

Kazaam said:

Hmm, Girl Can't Help It is my favorite Journey song (favorite albums were the first two with Perry). I'll type more but right now I'm falling asleep (12-hour day on the flight line, cold at the beginning and end, hoisting 4x4's and dunnage, oof-dah).

But no argument about "Open Arms", right? Admittedly I loved that sh!t back in the day, but not now. Open Arms has gotta be like the most ballady of all of Journey's ballads. And I mean that in the worst way possible. Great back then, I suppose. Terrible now.

I also thought "Faithfully" was flippin' awesome back in the day, too. I remember a buddy of mine and I were listening to "Faithfully" on my brother's Fisher rack system---had 12" woofers---and we thought the drums sounded great on such a hi-fi system. Must've played it a gazillion times. I don't care for the song all that much nowadays, but I'll admit it's still a thousand times better than "Open Arms".

(P.S. - Just giving "Girl Can't Help It" a quick listen. I guess it ain't too bad, so you may be right about that one.)

Ok yeah some of those ballads were admittedly over the top.

STILL THEY RIDE..............is one of my favorites, and yes the ballads, the ballads..............

Attachments

• Cry-icon.png
    Cry-icon.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 141
Botch said:
Kazaam said:

Hmm, Girl Can't Help It is my favorite Journey song (favorite albums were the first two with Perry). I'll type more but right now I'm falling asleep (12-hour day on the flight line, cold at the beginning and end, hoisting 4x4's and dunnage, oof-dah).

I love that song, and played the shit out of it driving back and forth to work when I was 19.

Back