• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My 2013 AXPONA show report

Another speaker I had been wanting to hear for a long time, was the open baffle Orion, by Siegfried Linkwitz. They sounded very good, however the bass while deeper and more slam than my 3.6's sounded a little boomy. They were in a pretty good sized room however, no room treatment though.

I also heard a pair of open baffle speakers Nightingale by Simitel, from Italy. They sounded way too diffuse to me.

Volti audio had two different rooms with two different horn loaded systems. One room had their modified La Scalla's, the speaker designer and his assistant were joking that the designer was a terrible presenter. Since they were running everyone who stopped by out of the room. I would tend to agree since he had a jacked up subwoofer hidden behind a curtain right next to a wall. This subwoofer was off the chart in level, worst room of the whole show to me.

FYI, a lot of rooms had vinyl set ups, some with huge turnable's, some were all computer based, a few dedicated CD player's, the majority rooms were running with the OPPO 95 or 103 player I believe. I would say about 75% would let you play your own music which I really like. Someone mentioned too much Diana Krall, Nora Jones,,,etc. Another complained against rooms that like to play the latest most esoteric bands nobody has ever heard of. Or all breathy jazz music, or all classical music, I saw a few room like this but not too many.

IMO the space where the speakers reside is the most important part of sound reproduction. A person can spend $100,000.00 on a pair of speakers, if placed in an inadequate environment, they'll sound like $1,800.00 speakers.

Attending a speaker/sound expo, where demo space is not optimal and time is limited to establish the products environment is not ideal for potential buyers, or the product being demonstrated. The one suggestion that continues to be excellent is finding a dealer who will permit the potential buyer to demo the speakers in his/her own home. What may trip your trigger at the showroom could be a real disappointment in your home.

Rope

TitaniumTroy said:
I finally got to hear the Audeze LCD 2's & 3's, the 2's sounded a little boomy in the bass. 3's were definitely better they should be as they cost about 1k more. I also heard Hi-FiMan HE400 sounded pretty good. However I still prefered the Audeze because of the angled placement on your head, so the imaging is more like speakers and less like headphones.

I saw the Beyerdynamic T1. Did you listen?

Another plus for good HP's. The listening environment always remains the same, well unless your head gets run over by a bus.

Rope

Well Great Dane, I did see those but did not try them. But I would have if I had known they cost $1400,00. :scared-eek: I did try the Sennheiser HD 700's, told the guy in the booth they sounded great. He mentioned it was the sound of the DAC, he was selling that made them sound great, opps my bad. :text-imnewhere: In Headphone land.

TitaniumTroy said:
Well Great Dane, I did see those but did not try them. But I would have if I had known they cost $1400,00. :scared-eek: I did try the Sennheiser HD 700's, told the guy in the booth they sounded great. He mentioned it was the sound of the DAC, he was selling that made them sound great, opps my bad. :text-imnewhere: In Headphone land.

Oh too bad, I was hoping to get your opinion on the T1.

I paid $950 for my new pair. I really like them.

Flint said:
Someone used my time alignment diagram!!!

Thanks!
I guess plagiarism is the new imitation, so you must feel flattered! :)

TitaniumTroy said:
Well Matt lives in AZ, he's probably been Boned in the Mesa, once or twice. I tried to get to all the rooms but sometimes they were too full, so missed the Salk room, sorry about that, Zing.

Heard some Meridian active digital speakers, room was pretty small though. So not sure about their sound.
Janzen: Hybrid electrostatic's had an impressive soundstage, but I think the monopole planer section was too small. They sounded strained in the midrange at medium volume levels.

Never been "Boned in Mesa" thank God but lived there for 8 years and with all the Mormons you did get the same feeling. Thanks for the review TT great job.

I did finally get to hear the KEF Blade speakers, was not impressed. Did not sound bad just ok. Sony had a 10k speaker the SS NA2ES that a lot of people seemed to like, me included. It was in a 4.0 surround setup very nice.

Also while I really liked the large MBL Radialstahler's the smaller MBL 101's did sound odd. Stereo everywhere but no imaging or soundstage, I got up close and discovered the source. The side firing mid/woofer's when I put my ear near them, everything returned to normal.

Thanks Matt.

Back