• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My practice/project studio

Before I was a geeky loudspeaker nerd, I was a ripping-cool drum nerd. I got into every aspect of the instrument, and when I was making money playing, Pearl sponsered me and I got to work with them. While I don't work with them much anymore, I got back in touch with them when I decided to start playing again, this time only for a hobby. They are good guys and their R&D and marketing departments are very open to their customers' needs.

Lookie here! I got an amazing Aluminum snare from Pearl. The shell is 3mm thick, cast aluminum which has been machined to perfection (see the ridges in the close-up). The sound is stunning. This could very likely replace my 6.5" 8-Ply Maple Snare as my primary "go-to" Snare drum.

Pearl_Aluminum_Snare.jpg

I wish this wasn't a signature model, as I don't necessarily want Tico's signature on the badge.

RESPONSE: Looks beautiful! But a drum's a drum, right? J/k. What makes the sound "stunning"? Can you describe what you mean to a non-drummer?

ANSWER: Drums, like all acoustic instruments, are very complex mechanisms with all sorts of resonances and dynamic properties. Snares can range from low-pitch, "thud" sounding things (old Supertramp & Steeley Dan) to sharp, powerful, "Whack" sounding things (Police & XTC) to smooth, fuzzy, resonance rich things (The Who, the Beatles) to any of a million different sounds.

I am a fan of the tighter, sharper, "Whack" and "Snap" sound, but I want that sound to have depth and some gentle, non-ringing resonance. My old 8-Ply, 6.5" Deep snare was my favorite since I got it over 24 years ago. I would put a coated 2-Ply head on it and tune the batter side super high, the resonant side somewhat low, and tighen the snares pretty high. This sound resembled the famous Stewart Copeland (the Police) whack while still having lots of subtlety and rich character that allowed me to be more expressive and complex with my playing. This new snare has all those properties, but the metal shell has a more complex resonance with some gentle "ringing" I can control pretty easily with head dampeners. I need to hear it on a recording before I know for sure, but when my future step-son was pounding on it last night, it sounded nothing short of amazing in the other room where I was.

The Mahogany snare I posted above is only capable of being extremely deep and "thud" like, even if I tighted up the head and snares. It has it's place for certain types of music, and I will use it as needed. My other snares, a 3.5" deep, thin Brass shelled model, a 5" deep, 6-ply Maple Shell free-floater, and the 5" deep, 3mm Copper shell free-floater are also very interesting, but they all have their own unique character which makes them appropriate for different tasks. For instance, the 5" Maple model is ideal for mimmicking the old Stewart Copeland sound (better than his new "Signature" snare from Tama).

In total, I love all my snares, but one will be my "signature sound" tool I will use 80% of the time.

Now all I really want is a good, hand-hammered Phospher-Bronze 6.5" deep model for the hot, ringing, tone they offer.

Everything posted in this thread was written before June, 2010.

Here are some updated photos of my kit today (Aug,2011) and two new snares:

Attachments

• Ref_Kit_Aug2011.jpg
    Ref_Kit_Aug2011.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 4,145
  • Ref_Kit_B_Aug2011.jpg
    Ref_Kit_B_Aug2011.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 4,145
  • Rosewood_Snare.jpg
    Rosewood_Snare.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 4,145
  • Hammered_Brass_Snare.jpg
    Hammered_Brass_Snare.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 4,145
Wow, that hammered drum with the roses is a thing of beauty!

Thanks! That was a "retirement" present (actually a pay-off on a bet) from a good friend in the industry. I forgot the wager, but he remembered and sent me the snare on my son's 21st birthday.

Here's some more photos:

Attachments

• Hammered_Brass_Snare_B.jpg
    Hammered_Brass_Snare_B.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 4,140
  • Hammered_Brass_Snare_C.jpg
    Hammered_Brass_Snare_C.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 4,140
lulimet said:
:scared-eek: That's a lot of cymbals!

really?

Two Crashes
I have two fast response smaller sized crash cymbals - you cannot repeatedly hit them over and over because they will sound washed out if you do. But I like the way fast crashes sound in general because the go "crash" then get out of the way for the drums or other cymbals - they are defined and crisp. So, if I need to accent several "hits" in quick succession, I need at least two of those.

Two Splashes
Two splashes are needed for the same reasons as two fast crashes, but the two I have are also different pitches which adds a bit of tonality to using them - like a cymbal melody (or bongos).

Two Rides
While out of style these days, ride cymbals which offer plenty of stick definition come in dozens of tonal styles from light jazz, dark funk, clean light rock or country, tight prog rock, or heavy bell metal rock. I chose two, a Ping ride which has a very well defined "ting" but a weak bell tone and no depth and a "Armand Sweet Ride" which is more open, robust, and nuanced but still provides stick definition. It also has enough bell to play complex patterns on in heavy grooves, if I want.

Two Chinas
I have two china style cymbals, but the smaller one is for effects only and I rarely use it. I am considering removing it altogether. The other is the standard, dark china with lots of dark sustain. I love that sound, though it drives my wife nuts.

Crash/Ride
This is generally the type of cymbal modern rock drummers are using for rides. It offers that sustained sizzle sound that Ringo Star made famous in the mid-60s and todays rock drummers seem to really like. It can also act as a huge crash with lots of sustain when you need it. I don't use it much, but if I want to play like Bun E. Carlos or Dave Grohl, I have to have one.

Hi-Hats
Every set except Keith Moon's has a set of these.

It may look like a bunch if you are comparing to the current crop of minimalist drummers, but it isn't that much when compared to what drummers have used from 1970 forward. In fact, prog rock, classical metal, and jazz fusion drummers still use this many cymbals, or more.

What I don't want to do, since I am only having fun, is have to take the time to replace cymbals for every style I want to play that evening. If I were in the studio, I would only put up the cymbals I needed for the track I was recording, which would usually be just a few. But for a general set like mine where I want to sit down whenever I want and play any style I happen to be in the mood for at that moment, having them all setup is very handy and makes it more appealing to just hop behind the drums and go to town.

I also have other cymbals in my collection, like another set of hi-hats, two more rides, a couple of chinas, and a more middle of the road crash, I could put on the kit (I have mounting arms for three more), but I feel that would be overkill. :happy-smileygiantred:

Any chance you can post the sound of that bronze snare? I'm completely unfamiliar with them, and very intrigued.

Thanks for taking the time to repost these pics here, Flint! :handgestures-thumbup:

Thanks Flint for bringing that over from the old forum. I am sure it was a pain in the butt.

Here's an update on my drum kit - I am still using the same cymbals as before, but I rearranged them on the right side so the two ride cymbals are now at the same height and angle.

Currently I am playing my trusty old Pearl 14" x 6.5" MX-Series 8-Ply Maple snare. This snare has been with me in countless studios and appears on hundreds of recordings, some of which many of you hear many times a week. I also put a second snare to the left of my kit for effect and to allow me to jam with friends and get the tonality I want without having to swap snares.

Attachments

• Drums_May2012_A.jpg
    Drums_May2012_A.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 1,719
  • Drums_May2012_B.jpg
    Drums_May2012_B.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 1,719
I have also become enamored with the tattoo Skyn style snare heads Remo is selling. however, they only offer two rather hardcore biker style tattoo patterns, either in color or in black and white, for a whole range of options of exactly four different looks. So, I decided to pull out the ol' Sharpie and make my own tattooed snare head. I think it looks pretty good. I may do this to all my snare heads.

Attachments

• Rosewood_Snare_May2012.jpg
    Rosewood_Snare_May2012.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 1,718
I have been playing much more of late, thanks to two of my friends at work with similar tastes and a desire to jam coming over for a long lunch every Wednesday. We play for about an hour each week when we are free, which is probably 2 to 3 times a month. Also, my stepson finally decided he needed to properly learn to play drums, so I setup my original pro kit (the black Pearl kit at the beginning of this thread) across from his lefthanded kit in my library and we do exercises and rudiments together. That is working me out as much as him and I am regaining much of the muscle skill I had 20 years ago.

That kit looks awesome, Flint! Growing like a weed. You're like 3 toms and a kick away from having a Peart kit. :happy-smileygiantred:

I think it's time for a YouTube video of you playing.

Zing said:
That kit looks awesome, Flint! Growing like a weed. You're like 3 toms and a kick away from having a Peart kit. :happy-smileygiantred:

I think it's time for a YouTube video of you playing.

Hells Ya, there you go. OK Flint, I know you cant disclose a lot of the stuff you palyed on because of your contractual agreements, but it sure would be nice if we could see a youtube video of your chops.

C'mon brother give us a taste of your mad drummin skills. Post up a video so I can jam with it on youtube.

Back