• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My practice/project studio

Flint said:
Let's see you guys playing your respective instruments on youtube-

Dude, I totally suck or I would. I have only been playing since Christmas. If I was worth a hoot, I would. Hell, even though I suck, if my wife would have gotten any video of the two times I played live with my buddy's band, I would put them up.

:scared-eek: A Matt video I for one am sacred.

But hell ya, seeing Flint playing some chops do it! :music-rockout:

Flint said:
Let's see you guys playing your respective instruments on youtube-

Not many of us are professional, recorded, or even paid, musicians.

I haven't been paid to play in over 15 years. Heck, aside from a very short period in 2001 I went 13 years without touching a kit.

We'll see. Maybe a short solo can be arranged.

Alright gang, I spent the morning rigging up the recording equipment and placing cameras around my kit to make a video of me playing the drums. I will warm up for a bit, then lay down a little something to post as soon as my son edits the video for me. This is a new world for me, I've never attempted to show off on drums so openly before. I show off my knowledge all the time, even when I have all my facts wrong - but that's a different story.

Cool!

It's not showing off it it's by request. :laughing:

Well. I am not happy with the results. It is difficult to just play drums. I'll post something soon.

Would also love to see/hear you & your stepson to a "battle".....kinda like playing "horse" in basketball.....you do a "run" then he does it....
I want my son to view this........I'll be showing him this thread....he still is playing his beginners drum set.
He got 1's on his solo's (snare & marimba) this spring (beginner's Band 6th Grade).

I started reading this topic long ago and never finished until now. Excellent read and pics. Very cool.

Flint, were some of those T-Fusors ones I had previously had? I know it has been some time since you took them off my hands.

Hello...

My name is Franklin Flint, and I am an addict.

Since my last posting I have purchased three new snare drums, all top end models I could never afford or justify before, even when I was making a great living as a drummer.

One is a Pearl Piccolo Free-Floating snare with a copper shell (God it is gorgeous and pleasent on the ears).
plfc1435c-xl.jpg

Another is this absolutely amazing Ddrum "Zebra" Canadian Maple snare which has the "WHACK" I love in a snare:
1222970126493_diossd6.5x14zebra.jpg

And the third is a stunning Pearl all maple snare I simply cannot justify keeping since I have a version of it from 1985 which has been my favorite go-to snare since I got it:
lg_324410.jpg

But that's not all.

I have totally fallen off the wagon and purchased cymbals, stands, drums racks, and even thrones!

Cymbals: Zildjian 20" A series Med-Ride; Zildjian 14" A Custom Fast Crash; Zildjian Swish Knocker; Zildjian 18" K Dark Med-Thin Crash; Paiste 2002 Thin Crash

Stands: Two Straight Cymbal stands, Two Boom Cymbal stands, One two leg Hi-Hat stand; Three Clamp-on cymbal arms; Two snare stands; One cow-bell holder arm

Racks: One Pearl ICON 1-sides rack with wings; 6 rack mounting clamps; three boom cymbal arms

Thrones: One Roc-n-Soc round Throne; One Roc-n-Soc bicycle seat throne (gotta sell it)

I think I need help. Seriously.

Part of what is driving this is:
1) I have joined a band made up of people my age with serious musical talent but no desire to try to be rock stars - we just want to make music, write, record, and play a few shows for fun. We play at the guitarist's house, but his drums kinda suck, so they need supplimenting.
2) My step son has gotten serious about practicing and learning to be a decent drummer. He plays lefthanded, so it is difficult for me to show him what to do on his kit. So, I setup my old classic kick from my pro days opposit him and we play together. This is how I taught and learned from my fellow professional drummers back in the day.
3) There seems to be a plethora of killer deals on serious high end drum gear in Austin.
4) I get a mad rush every time I purchase another killer instrument or piece of gear. And setting it up and using it for the first time is like, well, getting a new lover.

Very cool! I'm nowhere near qualified to judge how good those are, but they sure are purty! Glad you're enjoying yourself, too, and being able to exercise your old skills. I think everyone should have a musical hobby.

Flint, you can afford it, you are financially stable and secure and you are a reasonably stable guy. Enjoy yourself brother. I have absolutely no need for a new(er) and Bigger boat but if I could weing it I would have one.

Those are some pretty extravagant new snares there...............

Enjoy them, but don't pound too hard!!

Hey.... I've been riding high on getting to start a new job (with a healthy raise) and the big wins I managed to rack up during my recent week in Las Vegas (blackjack has been very good to me). So, I bought some suits, shoes, and such for work, and...

I just picked up a used Pearl Reference 18" Floor Tom for less than $600 in perfect condition. The finish (purple craze) doesn't match my main kit (vintage sunburst), but the shell materials, hardware, bearing edges, and such are a perfect match to blend together. So, I picked up some new heads at Guitar Center and I'll be grabbing a mic for close miking (likely the AKG D112) to make it easy to record. I love my Reference Series kit, but I missed having a 18" floor tom. I love that deep, resonate, boom of a large floor I can bang with my stick! Now I have that.

Yeah!

I'll try to post photos as soon as possible.

Back