• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My (temporary) living room system

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
Just in case I want to have some Christmas music at ~135dB SPL... ;)

Yes, this is my live sound system. This room was used for band rehearsals for a while but (long story) that's probably not gonna happen anymore. But hey, while I still have the gear, may as well get some use out of it. Eventually I do plan to have that Heresy + tube amp system in this same location. Someday...

You'll see my new (to me) squeezebox, normally sitting on top of the (closed) mixer case. It's one of the original white V3 Slim Devices branded units, pre-Logitech. But still, plugged it in, hooked to wireless, did a firmware update, and I was up and running in 5 minutes. Sweet.

Despite a pretty crappy noise floor - obvious hiss from the (powered) speakers even with everything else off - this isn't a bad system for home listening. With these large speakers spread apart this far - about 12' - the soundstage is IMMENSE. It's kinda fun. And imaging isn't bad either, despite total lack of any acoustic treatments. Horn tweeters helps here, some, I'm sure.

Attachments

• lr-1.jpg
    lr-1.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 876
  • lr-2.jpg
    lr-2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 876
Pauly, are those the self-powered QSCs? (I don't see a power amp). Those are supposed to be the bee's knees as keyboard amps...

Right now, basically it's a really fancy RCA->XLR adapter. ;) I just set the volume on the mixer and speakers themselves to a "loud" level when the volume on the SB is 100%, then use the SB's own volume control to adjust from there.

Yeah for a change the cats weren't around... they do sit on the big speakers sometimes, or in the window. Fortunately they mostly leave the Christmas tree alone - except one cat has a tendency to pee on certain things, which is why the tree skirt isn't under there yet. Sigh.

Pauly you cranking your Hanna Montana albums at 135db must just be manna from heaven for you. :handgestures-thumbup:

MatthewB said:
Pauly you cranking your Hanna Montana albums at 135db must just be manna from heaven for you. :handgestures-thumbup:

:angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:

Fortunately, my kids are too young to have been involved in that craze... thank God. Though Wiggles aren't much better.

PaulyT said:
Fortunately, my kids are too young to have been involved in that craze... thank God. Though Wiggles aren't much better.
Don't be so sure yet. Wait till they hear about that Beaver guy or whatever his name is.

Back