• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

NAD AV Receivers

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
I've been just a little unhappy with my Yamaha RS-V765, it sounds just a bit harsh with the volume cranked and doesn't have the "clean", loud sound that my 1979 CA-810 Yammie Integrated Amp had with my Large Advents. A couple discussions during different GTGs all brought up the possibility that the new amp just didn't have the "oomph" to play cleanly.

Every review I've read about NAD amps/receivers say pretty much the same thing:
- awesome power
- very musical
- low frills/gewgaws/features/extras/baubles/bangles/beads
After looking a bit, I'm very interested in the T 758: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_745T758/NAD-T-758.html?showAll=N&search=Nad_t758&skipvs=T

151411.jpg

It only features 15 watts/channel more than my Yammie, but again the reviews state they measure power differently, more "true-to-life" (interestingly, its "Full Disclosure Power" is 110 watts/channel, all channels driven, according to their specs but only 110 watts/channel, two channels driven, according to the Crutchfield review above).

I can't recall that anyone here uses a NAD receiver, but anyone had experience with them before? Know any stories? Thanks!

Botch,

My only experience with NAD is with a CD player that was bought, actually 2 were bought over 20 years ago. 1 for me and 1 for my brother. Both are still working never with any issues. I have always heard/read that NAD Amplifiers were conservatively rated.

Personally, If I was going to drop $1K, I would purchase the Outlaw 975 Pre/Pro (I have this unit) and look at ebay for separate power amps.

I had a similar issue with Old Yamaha vs. New Yamaha. My old now retired Yamaha Integrated Amp sounded wonderful with my Studio 60's, it had one beast of a power supply. When we retired it and replaced it with a New Yamaha receiver, it did not have any where near the dynamic response and the Studio 60's sounded like cardboard. When we added the B&K Components power amps, even Barb said "Wow, our speakers are back".

Good luck on what ever you decided.

:twocents-mytwocents:

Thanks Keith, your experience falls right into my same situation. When I unboxed my new Yammie it was so cool to see the same "Natural Sound" logo on the front (after 30 years), even in the same font (although I prefer silver components to black) but it just doesn't sound as good. :(
Guess I've had the same experience with their Synths; my DX-7 was, of course, an absolute Classic and I still have it; the TX-77 was cool but a little more difficult to program (than pure FM?!?!); my final Yammie synth, the EX-5, was a buggy POS (I still have it too, only because no one will buy it).
Yamaha's "motorsports" wing is following a different trajectory. My FZ-6 ('07, bought in '07, used with 1,400 miles) has been a dream and the newer rides (FZ-09, FZ07) are getting even higher accolades from the press.
Might be a Business Master's thesis in there somewhere... :geek:

I recall NAD and Proton equipment marketing in the '80s touting 'high headroom' dual voltage amps. Do they still use the 'dual voltage' design?

In my experience, Yamaha receivers and amps are among the cleanest, most natural and transparent audio components on the market. if you are getting a "harsh" sound, then either the amp is being pushed too hard, or you room acoustics are very poor and the room is being saturated with treble reflections.

I would consider a larger amp, more efficient speakers, or better room acoustics rather than assuming that all things Yamaha are inherently harsh.

:twocents-mytwocents:

With NAD receivers handling 4 ohm loads, excellent quality, and great longevity are a given.

scubabob said:
I recall NAD and Proton equipment marketing in the '80s touting 'high headroom' dual voltage amps. Do they still use the 'dual voltage' design?
If they are, they're not bragging about it in their latest marketing; don't know. :shhh:

Flint said:
I would consider a larger amp,
The whole point of my OP

more efficient speakers,
Nope, a lot of money in those Monitor Audios and they sound fantastic at lower volumes

or better room acoustics rather than assuming that all things Yamaha are inherently harsh.
Nope again, same room that I loved my CA-810 in for 15 years or so, the acoustics haven't changed.

I'm not assuming "all things Yamaha are inherently harsh", just that the new receiver (at a higher power rating) sounds more so than my 30-year old integrated amp. Keith's experience sounds identical.

Sounds like if anyone will have opinions on the NAD, it'll be me (if I end up getting one) :happy-smileygiantred:

Botch said:
Sounds like if anyone will have opinions on the NAD, it'll be me (if I end up getting one) :happy-smileygiantred:
I do believe Mr. Botch got himself a new receiver!

Congrats!

Zing said:
Botch said:
I do believe Mr. Botch got himself a new receiver!

Congrats!

Stop That! :angry-tappingfoot:

Yes, his Yamaha does have pre-outs. I too think he should try an external amp first but it looks like his mind is made up on the new NAD receiver.

I think Botch caught the upgrade bug and is giving us a lame excuse to upgrade :D

A good stereo amp with a solid 150+ watts per channel would be an upgrade he could use for years, even if you does buy a new receiver later.

So you guys are suggesting I take the main left/right pre-outs, go through an external, higher-powered stereo amp, and let my Yamaha continue to power the center/rear channels?

I cannot find a full "test bench" test report on the Yamaha RS-V765, but doing simple math (not scientifically perfect), I can easily conclude that while the receiver's amp section is really damn good for each channel individually, it cannot sustain 95 watts for all channels simultaneously. That means if you are pushing it hard with lower impedance speakers (or complex loads) and the content calls for significant output on all channels at the same time, you will experience clipping in the loudest channels (usually front and center get the most demand).

If I recall correctly, you frond speakers are 4 ohm. That alone could justify a new, good, solid amp. In a perfect world, the only amp upgrade one should do when the current amp is too small should provide a true doubling of power which offers 3dB SPL of added output. When going from almost any receiver to a well made stand-alone amp you get benefits without any increase in power (due mostly to most stand-alone amps' abilities to handle complex loads and their strong sustained output in complex passages).

As such, I believe that if a very, very good receiver with 95 watts isn't enough, rather than get another receiver with a mere 15 watts of additional power (check out this online "peak SPL" calculator http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html ), or 0.7dB of additional sustained output before clipping, I would get a good stereo amp with nearly a doubling of output - like 150 watts or more.

If you like NAD check a used C-275BEE stereo amp which gives you great performance with >150 watts per channel.

Or, if you like my favorite "mid-line" brand, Parasound, try to find a 2250v2 which gets you considerably more output at 250W.

I've been doing that for years. I use a Marantz MM-9000 to drive my mains and run the center and surrounds off my Onkyo TX-SR805. This provides way more headroom than I would get by using either the receiver or the five channel amplifier by themselves.

Back