• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Need CD storage rack - suggestions?

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
Well my den is overflowing with piles of CDs and I need to get them put away. I've already filled up my ~1000 tower rack, probably need room for ~500 more at least. I've looked at the "disc socks" (or however you spell it) system, but that's too expensive and frankly I'm too lazy to remove booklets and art from all my jewel cases, not to mention the relatively large number of cardboard or other style cases that you can't just remove the art from. Plus I want the cases still because I take them in the car. So I want a more traditional rack of some sort.

I absolutely do not want it to have slots for individual cases, because it's too hard to insert in the middle or otherwise reorder them that way, and doesn't fit double/multiple-CD cases. I don't necessarily need to have them all out and facing the room - that is, I wouldn't mind having them in drawers or something. In fact, I looked at a dresser drawer at Ikea today that would've come close, but I was worried that the flimsy cardboard-ish drawer bottoms would not hold a whole drawer solidly filled with CDs, which gets pretty heavy. But I would not mind having something that looks like a dresser, or at least that general shape, because then, for example, I could put my bourbon collection or other music-related items on top.

So, any suggestions? I'm gonna be searching around, if I find anything interesting I'll also report back here.

Hmm... this one looks promising, ~500 CDs, only $125, reviews seem to say it's pretty good quality (unlike some others on the same site for other items).

Ok amazon sells that same one for $109 with free shipping (or prime). For that price, I'm actually gonna order two of them... will fit nicely along the wall in my den, and that way I can also organize all the videos (my bds and kids' dvds) as well.

:text-link:

Are you driving distance from an IKEA? They definitely have their own "style" (and not like the cabinet you posted) but they do have a pretty large selection.
EDIT: I was gonna suggest you buy for more than 500, they seem to keep multiplying...

I was just at Ikea today, if you had read my OP more carefully. :angry-tappingfoot: They didn't have much that was specific to CDs, aside from some very basic shelves; I wasn't too impressed. But I haven't searched through their entire catalog. Overall I think I'd rather have a number of smaller cases than one monstrous one that holds the entire collection...

My next project will be to get ALL my cds ripped to the media library, perhaps will do this as I reorganize and put them away in these new shelves. I've ripped all the cds I've bought since I started using the squeezebox a couple of years ago (858 albums according to SB's count), but I still have a lot of my older classical cds mainly that I haven't done yet.

That's a nice looking unit, Pauly. :handgestures-thumbup:

But really now, TWO? That's All? :laughing-rolling:

That is only going to hold 1000 altogether. I think the way you pick up new music, buy 4 now and save your self the trouble of trying to find matching ones later! :eusa-whistle:

Dennie :eusa-whistle:

Read my OP there Dog. :eek:bscene-buttred: That's way too much work, and WAY WAY WAY too expensive. I'm not that tight on space.

PaulyT said:
Read my OP there Dog. :eek:bscene-buttred: That's way too much work, and WAY WAY WAY too expensive. I'm not that tight on space.

:text-+1:

I have a friend "Bob", who I refer to as "Bob, the fine craftsman" and I've been talking to him about turning my "media room" into wall to wall shelving units. At least for the "Silver/Gold" discs. I think I'll stick to Ikea's "Expedit" shelves for the vinyl. They can be freestanding in the center of the room and are reasonably priced.

expedit-bookcase__0092703_PE229404_S4.JPG

Dennie

Pauly,

What's your budget? if you can afford something nice, maybe looking into offering from Boltz or Can-Am (Rope uses this brand I think).

I have something similar to this rack (link). Mine holds something like 1500 CDs. I'm getting close to filling it up. If you are looking for something a bit more cheap, then there is this one too (link II)

The thing about the Atlantic units (in the last link), they seem to be reviewed as being a bit unstable but you can reinforce them to make them sturdier. I have thought about getting a pair of the Atlantic 1080 units and bridge them together so as I have one "single" unit spanning the overall width of the wall my collection resides.

The sad thing about those of us with large music collections is the nicer and/or bigger racks are crazy expensive. You either have to improvise on a cheaper unit or make your own.

Pauly if your purchase from amazon doesn't work out, check out AV MECHANICA. Yes the stuff is a bit on the pricey side, but most of the products are made to be expandable, are built like a brick shithouse and will last a lifetime and then some...also you've proven to be pretty handy and creative have you considered building something?

Batman said:
...also you've proven to be pretty handy and creative have you considered building something?

Personally, that's what I recommend. Pauly, you're pretty resourceful. I think you should make your own. I remember a thread Botch posted on his CD rack that looked very nice (maybe he will link it).

Also, if you have a spare closet....go that route. You'll be surprised how cheap it is to convert it and how much you can really hold in one. Look at my old setup.

HTPics7-26-2007005.jpg

PaulyT said:
I was just at Ikea today, if you had read my OP more carefully. :angry-tappingfoot:
I had to re-read your post twice to catch it, d'Oh! :doh: (in my feeble defense, it's spelled IKEA, not Ikea... :teasing-neener: )

Yep. That was the one you built, right?

You did a hell of a job on that Botch. How many does that thing hold....13 rows, about 650?

Thanks guys. I like the can-am drawers, yesfan, I was thinking of something like that - but those are too pricey. Similarly with the av mechanica that Bats mentioned - very cool style! But wouldn't suit my house anyway. And as I said, I don't necessarily need to have everything in one single rack, I don't mind splitting it up - e.g. my tower (1000-1200 cds, I forget exactly what capacity) will probably go for classical and jazz, and these new racks for pop/rock and videos.

You all know that aesthetics is not usually my biggest concern. But I've always disliked the look of an open rack. So the closed unit I pictured above appeals in that way, too. But it's mostly the price, I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to stuff like this; there are things worth spending more $$ on, but CD racks IMHO are not among them. :laughing:

Yes I thought about simply boxing them and putting them in the attic/basement, but I do want to have access for the car (no digital music capability in mine), and because I fairly frequently want to look at the album liner notes esp. for classical and jazz.

PaulyT said:
.......Yes I thought about simply boxing them and putting them in the attic/basement, but I do want to have access for the car (no digital music capability in mine), and because I fairly frequently want to look at the album liner notes esp. for classical and jazz.

A USB equipped headunit was the best thing I bought for my ride. The main issue was theft when I still had my Wrangler. Now I don't take any CDs with me and the only time you'll see a CD in my car is if I just bought it and couldn't wait to get home to hear it.

Pauly, I know you weren't crazy about the ikea offerings but I have 3 of the tall skinny ones. Don't remember which name they were but I'm not going to use them in my new place due to space limitations so you can have them if you like. I'm going to do something like those disc sock things someday. Lemme know if you do and I'll get them ready for your next trip up.

Back