• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Need help with Mobile PreUSB

Towen7

Staff member
I am having trouble setting up my old M Audio MobilePre USB on my laptop. I have downloaded and installed the appropriate drivers from M Audio's site. It's working fine as an ouput device... but it's not working as an input. It's not listed on the "recording" tab of the Windows Sound manager applet.

Even when I use the M-Audio interface it shows as "not connected" and I cant change any of the levels.

What am I doing wrong?

Nevermind.

I un-installed and re-installed the driver and it's working fine now.

Wait..... I have a new problem.

I can't get the Sound System Calibration tool to give me a flat line. I have the output looped to the input. but the resulting frequency response rises at about 2KHz.

RTA.jpg

I lost my 1/4" adapters during the move so I'm using the 1/8" stereo line output to the #1 XLR input.

What should I set the frequency to on the generator bar?

Towen7 said:
I lost my 1/4" adapters during the move so I'm using the 1/8" stereo line output to the #1 XLR input.

What should I set the frequency to on the generator bar?
Have you tried using input #2?

And there's no frequency setting needed for the sound system calibration. Once you get the flat line and move on to perform the SPL calibration, that's when you'll want to select a frequency. I believe any frequency between 300 and 600Hz will work but the most commonly suggested frequency is 400Hz.

What OS are you using? I tried really hard to get my MobilePre to work with my Vista machine, and failed... it wouldn't give a reasonable looking response curve at all. OTOH it's fine with my XP laptop.

I'm using Vista SP1. I reinstalled the driver (again) ant I think I'm getting closer...

RTA2.jpg

And now it's gone to shit again..

Now that you mention it... I was using an XP machine the last time I used TrueRTA. The problem is that I don't have laptops with anything but Vista. Guess I'll have to get some long cables and run TrueRTA from my Windows 7 machine down the hall.

DAMIT!!!

Vista should be fine. Be sure you are using the latest version of TrueRTA which has been tested with the newer Vista/Win7 audio engine.

Also, ensure the levels are high enough. Try increasing the buffers with the audio driving.

Thanks all.

I have the latest version installed. I'll check the levels and get the proper 1/4" cables (so I don't have to use two cables and an adapter. I'm suspecting that the MobilePre itself is wonky. I bought it used several years ago. So if all else fails I'll prepare myself to buy a replacement.

It is common to see these types of issues (FR not flat) if the levels are way to high or way too low. You should see the level indicator LED turn on when the tests run, but not turn red (indicating clipping).

Flint said:
It is common to see these types of issues (FR not flat) if the levels are way to high or way too low. You should see the level indicator LED turn on when the tests run, but not turn red (indicating clipping).

T7 I was getting the same type of response and it's definitely in the levels.

John

Yes, I've got the new TrueRTA, and current MobilePre drivers. I tried adjusting gain levels and such, that's a normal part of my routine. Didn't make any difference. I'll see about the buffering stuff... I was also running off a cheap USB hub on a USB extension cord, which may have had something to do with it, perhaps it didn't have enough juice to do the phantom power properly? Because I'm pretty sure I've used this same Vista computer for RTA before, with the MobilePre plugged in directly, when it was in the HT - whereas now it's in the next room.

If you right click on the application the pull down should allow you to see properties,
Here you will have compatability. You can try to change this to XP?

I have always had issues with getting realtime audio from USB when a USB hub is in the line. As such, I never plug a two way audio device into a hub.

Back