• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

"New" 5.1 receiver

Razz

I'm outdated on the latest models and features and would love your input guys....

A friend of mine needs a new A/V receiver for his living room.. needs nothing fancy.. only 5.1 will be used.

It needs to convert HDMI to component out!!! His TV has no HDMI input and he's not changing it. He want to connect....

1. XBox One
2. Direct TV
3. Blue Ray Player
4. VHS player (yes he wants to still keep this!)

He is hoping to keep it around $400
I know that can easily be done but would love your input on best models.

Thanks guys!!!

I don't think I've ever heard of a receiver that takes HDMI and can output over component.

lulimet said:
I don't think I've ever heard of a receiver that takes HDMI and can output over component.

Oh damn!
That's a problem.
Xbox one doesn't have a component out.

Hmmm, that's an interesting situation. I have the same thing in my basement cuz my Mits only is pre HDMI and will only accept component video. I'm definitely gonna follow this thread.

Russ no reciever will convert HDMI to component it just won't happen because of HDCP laws but your buddy can buy a HDFury 2,3 or 4 which your friend can plug all the devices via HDMI to his receiver than a HDMI cable out from the receiver to the HDFury which has one end HDMI and output as component. The HDFury strips the HDCP encryption and thus allows the conversion to component.

There is one thing to note and that your buddy will have to disable all video processing done in the receiver and just use it as a video pass thru. Any video processing done before the HDFury may cause it not to work. I have my PS3, Directv DVR, HD-DVD and Appletv all plugged via HDMI to my Marantz preamp then HDMI out to my HDFury 2 then component out from the HDFury to my DVDO video processor and component out from the DVDO to my Pioneer HDTV which was built one year before HDMI.

My HDFury would not work after the DVDO because of the video processing done and would not work after my Marantz till I shut off all video processing in the Marantz. But since your buddy is going direct from the reciever to the HDFury to the TV just tell him to shut off the processing in the reciever and he'll be good to go. Must used HDFury's go for around 80-100.00 and if you plan on keeping older component video TVs this is a must have. Mine works great and since I use mine before the DVDO video processor it comes into the processor as HDCP free component and my DVDO then can make video adjustments to the image for a better picture.

If your buddy buys one used on eBay or Amazon make sure it comes with the VGA to component cable dongle and the power supply. It will work without the power cable but some report issues with certain gear if you don't use the power supply.

If you have any questions just let me know or give me a call.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 1,381
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,381
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,381
Just checked and Amazon has none for sale and eBay has two. One currently bidding at 50.00 and one brand new at 220.00

Great link Chuck. I know the device was made illegal to be sold in the states for awhile so they must have finally found a loop hole in the law (which is evident by eBay selling them again as for awhile they would pull all HD Fury posts).

Russ I'd go with Chucks link as it is brand new and comes with everything needed (along with warranty). If your friend already has an HDMI receiver than he won't need to upgrade and he can use 180.00 of that 400.00 for the HD Fury and the remaining 220.00 to buy you Cap'n and cokes as thanks.

Does his TV have DVI?

You can use one of these from Amazon....

51PdaaTE3UL._SX450_.jpg

I use one on my '03 Mitsubishi CRT and it works fine.

Linky----> http://www.amazon.com/Importer520-P...d_sim_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1HV6CH579V8J5G7V0R9Y

Dennie

"This cable is not a converter and will not convert HDMI digital signals to analogue signals"

^^ gangsta Pauly don't give a shit!! :happy-smileygiantred:

PaulyT said:
"This cable is not a converter and will not convert HDMI digital signals to analogue signals"

EDIT: I just saw the cable. This is for the converter I posted....

It converts HDMI VIDEO to the older DVI VIDEO connector. It will only help if Razz's friend has a DVI input on the TV.

Everything would go to the receiver and then the Video would go out HDMI and into the converter on the back of the TV. If he has one.

Dennie

Back