• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New Blu-Ray

I thought of buying another bluray player with built in wifi but just decided to keep the PS3 in the bedroom and buy an appletv to get my wifi. More options with the apple, but I already owned the PS3. Now I know the PS3 does wifi but it got too damn hot to run more than an hour, so went with the appletv fOr 100.00

Towen7 said:
Huey said:
Towen7 said:
Ive used those with mixed results. As a matter of fact I have a few laying around that I dontplan on using anytime soon. LMK if you want to try them out.

I might be interested. What brand and how much are you looking for them?

Netgear
I think I have 3 (maybe 4) of the single line adapters and one 4 port adapter. I'll round the m up tonight and confirm. I'll send you a PM once I get my hands on em'.

All I have are Linksys units, I wonder if they would play nice with each other?

JeffMackwood said:
I guess I haven't been following the specs and features for the latest BD players. The 2 year old Sony BDP-S560 that I use in the family room HT came with wireless built in. I guess they're taking that feature out of the lower end models (and making it a costly extra). In any case I only wanted the wireless feature because it was going to be a pain to run a cable to it - and it's only ever used for automatic firmware updates anyhow.

Jeff

When I first got a streaming bluray player, that was all I used mine for as well, but I now stream a movie from time to time. I got away from wireless more for the squeezebox and dropouts. With being able to see anywhere from 10-15 networks in my neighborhood, the signal interruptions were horrendous at times. Some type of wired system was the only way I could listen to the tunes and not get frustrated.

Huey said:
When I first got a streaming bluray player, that was all I used mine for as well, but I now stream a movie from time to time. I got away from wireless more for the squeezebox and dropouts. With being able to see anywhere from 10-15 networks in my neighborhood, the signal interruptions were horrendous at times. Some type of wired system was the only way I could listen to the tunes and not get frustrated.

Routers and network cards have the option to choose (I'm thinking 6 or more) different "channels" to address that type of problem. i.e. pick the one with the least traffic. Did you try that?

Orbison said:
Huey said:

Routers and network cards have the option to choose (I'm thinking 6 or more) different "channels" to address that type of problem. i.e. pick the one with the least traffic. Did you try that?

Yes, on a G network, it is usually best to choose either channel 1 or 11, but when there are that many networks, it is going to be hard to pick one that won't have interference. That's the problem with living in a house with small lots.

Huey said:
on a G network, it is usually best to choose either channel 1 or 11

Ummm... why? Just wondering. Mainly because I've spent the past few days fighting with my wireless bridge, and this morning discovered that the main router was on "automatic channel scan" and was for the moment on channel 1, and it was completely unreliable, and I think the bridge may have been getting confused by the random changes of channel. I turned it onto manual channel 10, all is working fine now. I haven't gone through every single channel to test performance, though.

Because the default is usually 6 and most people don't bother to change it. 1 an 11 are the farthest away from 6, and it is usually recommended that you be at least 3 channels away from the nearest network. When there is a network on every channel though, it makes it tough to find one that won't interfere with yours.

Back