• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New From SVS: The Legato Dual Cylinder

Zing

Retired Admin
Superstar
"The new audiophile stereo subwoofer system from SVS!"

:text-link:

sta800h_front_300.jpg

LagatoSystemComboWEB.jpg

Hmm, having twin cylinders they should have called it the Double Barrel ShoTGun or something like that. I have no clue what a Legato is?

Running true stereo subs with the Hsu would also require an outboard crossover or a receiver with stereo independent l/r sub outs. The vtf-15h doesn't have a crossover outpu.

Run the front L/R preouts from the receiver to the HSU subs.

Rope

Fully adjustable (frequency and slope) phase-correct speaker/sub digital crossover
Dual digital PEQs with adjustable frequency, cut/boost, and Q values
Adjustable digital delay on main speaker line-level outputs to time-align the speakers and subs
Room gain compensation control with adjustable frequency and slope
Each tested extensively via custom SVS Audio Precision™ scripts to ensure spec compliance

:twocents-mytwocents:
At that price I would favor going with HSU . . . .

DIYer said:
TitaniumTroy said:
I have no clue what a Legato is?
That's "legacy" in Italian.
WHAT?!?! Please tell me you didn't look that up.

While legato does indeed have Italian origins, it does NOT mean legacy, it literally means tied. More commonly, it's a musical term where notes are played together smoothly, as opposed to staccato where they're played separately.

Zing said:
WHAT?!?! Please tell me you didn't look that up.

While legato does indeed have Italian origins, it does NOT mean legacy, it literally means tied. More commonly, it's a musical term where notes are played together smoothly, as opposed to staccato where they're played separately.
I looked it up in two sources, Italian-English dictionary I have and babelfish online. They both show as "legacy". Now, its meaning and how that meaning is used may be different. Kind of like the word "ass", it has its own meaning but how it's used describes something else. :think:

Rope said:

Rope
You'd need a Y adapter because the Hsu has no RCA or speakers level output. More importantly you would also be sending full range to the speakers which probably isn't ideal. I spent time on the phone with Hsu before I nought mine. They told me that they didn't intend he 15h to be used in a true stereo configuration and to do so you'd need an external crossover.

Seems nice and I'm sure it meets the expectations set forth by SVS. My disappointment lies in the language I'm seeing on the site which is following the marketing terms typical of companies that SVS was the opposite of at conception. Now I see cables and terms like ultra high end associated with them. Been a while since I looked there, but it seems to be more entrenched now across the board and they seem to want to be perceived differently now.

It's all fine and good, it's their company. But in my opinion they should be concentrating on making more furniture grade cabinets than "ultra high end cables" if they want to switch their image to that of "audiophile" quality. I'm sure the price per performance ratio is still high, just seems they want to move on from their origins.

I get the feeling that someday a "high end" brand will spawn from SVS which will cater to the "audiophiles" who are believers in "ultra high end" cables and things of that nature.

Legato

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search
This article is about legato in music. For other uses, see Legato (disambiguation).

Legato.In musical notation the Italian word legato (literally meaning "tied together") indicates that musical notes are played or sung smoothly and connected. That is, in transitioning from note to note, there should be no intervening silence. Legato technique is required for slurred performance, but unlike slurring (as that term is interpreted for some instruments), legato does not forbid rearticulation. In standard notation legato is indicated either with the word legato itself, or by a slur (a curved line) under the notes that are to be joined in one legato group. Legato, like staccato, is a kind of articulation. There is an intermediate articulation called either mezzo staccato or non-legato.

The subs are passive, so I wonder if you can just get those but buy the electronics used to save money.

Towen7 said:
Rope said:

Rope
You'd need a Y adapter because the Hsu has no RCA or speakers level output. More importantly you would also be sending full range to the speakers which probably isn't ideal. I spent time on the phone with Hsu before I nought mine. They told me that they didn't intend he 15h to be used in a true stereo configuration and to do so you'd need an external crossover.

Please school me, why would I need a speaker level output for true stereo subs?

Rope

Rope said:
Towen7 said:
Rope said:

Rope

Please school me, why would I need a speaker level output for true stereo subs?

Rope

Hmmm...

I'm trying to think of how it could be done properly WITHOUT it.

If it's "true stereo subs" that's the goal, and assuming that you might want to do this from within a 5 or 7 channel (not counting sub) system, then presumably one sub is to get only the bass-managed bass for the front left channel, and the other the bass-managed bass from the front right channel. How else would you properly set those subs' levels in relation to their respective front sibling unless you had some level control for them? If those two subs were to receive any other bass signals (like bass-managed sound from any other channel, or the LFE) would this not mean that you would not have "true stereo subs"? Otherwise you could simply bass-manage everything and pass it all, including the LFE, to that pair of subs, using only the receiver / pre/pro's "sub" level control. But again, wouldn't that be defeating the purpose?

Personally, and unlike others (who's views I can respect), I've never been a believer in the value of having "true stereo subs" (mostly because I don't think I can hear a difference) so I've never invested much thought in it until now. I'd always thought that the simple way to achieve it, with a pair of identical subs ontaining their own crossover / level controls, would be to pair each sub with each speaker as described above, feed it only that channel, and level balance it against that speaker, using either line or speaker level connections. But in the case of a completely passive sub....

I'd be interested to hear other ways of doing it.

Jeff

My two subs are "true stereo" in that I have a fully active 3-way crossover system where the subs are acting as the LF drivers. I do not use the LFE channel; rather the LFE is mixed (by the pre/pro) into the L/R main signals, which are split 3 ways by the (external) crossover before going to the subs/amps.

And no, I have not compared this to the more common system of multiple mono subs on the LFE channel and/or bass-managed from the mains. So I really have no idea if stereo subs are any better... it's just the way my system is set up given that I already had the 3-way crossover.

Must be a little confusion here. At first, I thought Rope was correct, but then after a more thorough reading, I see what Towen was talking about. If the HSU have no output, it would be very difficult to run in stereo, as both the speakers and the hsu's would have to get a full range signal to get any kind of bass. That is what is nice about SVS subs, both the speaker level and rca outputs have a crossover of 80hz, so it is easy to setup a stereo configuration. Getting them to play nice is another thing.

Back