• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New From SVS: The Legato Dual Cylinder

Hsu has always been a disappointment in multiple connecting schemes department – true 'stereo' subs configuration will only shine on 2 channel playback after multiple tweaks over a period of time – mixing the HT with stereo only music is a compromise I understand – don’t anticipate the same results – too many variables.

One thing I was wondering about (not that I plan on doing it).

Are "box" style passive subs available? If so, could you run a stacked unit from the controller/amp? Even if the controller/amp doesn't have a mono/stereo switch, you could still probably just split the LFE signal couldn't you?

Seems like that would be a cheaper way to get more output instead of having to buy two powered subs.

This thread (and the nice bottle of wine that I just finsihed) have got me thinking.

If I really wanted to do "stereo" subs in my main HT, all I'd need to do is to add a second SVS 20-39 PC+ to the 2.1 system within my 7.1 system already in place. I've got the space (sorta), it would add some visual symmetry, and a 7th powered sub in that room wouldn't be the sign of any underlying mental illness ... or would it?

Jeff (who highly recommends Beach House South African rose on a hot summer night!)

JeffMackwood said:
...a 7th powered sub in that room wouldn't be the sign of any underlying mental illness ... or would it?
Not at all, Matt... :happy-smileygiantred:

Huey said:
Must be a little confusion here. At first, I thought Rope was correct, but then after a more thorough reading, I see what Towen was talking about. If the HSU have no output, it would be very difficult to run in stereo, as both the speakers and the hsu's would have to get a full range signal to get any kind of bass.

Not all that hard really. As PaulyT is doing, all you'd need is an outboard crossover. The SVS package has a stereo crossover wih high and low outputs built into its amp. The Hsu dosnt have a crossover output, so you need something to limit the bass frequencies going to the speakers. Most modern preamps sum the L/R bass channels into a single sub out. Splitting that would result in each sub playing frequencies from both channels. Even pre amps with dual sub outs are usually not stereo but summed bass from all channels going to two outputs.

My point was simply to point-out that to compare Hsu apples to SVS apples from a price perspective, you need one more piece of equipment on the Hsu side of he equation.

For the record and FWIW, I own both Hsu and SVS subs.

Botch said:
JeffMackwood said:
...a 7th powered sub in that room wouldn't be the sign of any underlying mental illness ... or would it?
Not at all, Matt... :happy-smileygiantred:

LMAO, yeah Jeff and I were seperated at birth, only he got to live the lavish cool world travler lifestyle, while I took the "my life is one day of hell after the other" kinda existance.

Jeff that's all you need is one more sub. With those monster KOSS speakers you have, I don't think you really needed any subs to begin with.

Back