• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New place, new system

lulimet

We took possession of an apartment two weeks ago and yesterday I put together the system that we are going to use here. Nothing fancy, but it will do the job for the 18 months that we'll be staying here.

Yamaha RX-A830 receiver
Boston A26 front
Boston A223C center
Boston A23 rear
Boston ASW250 subwoofer
Comcast Xfinity X1 DVR
Amazon Fire TV
Xbox One
RCA 55" LED (will probably return it and go with something with better picture)

20150126_101527_zps5xklyq8m.jpg

20150126_101512_zpspstq2hux.jpg

20150126_101446_zpseoi7wrdb.jpg

20150126_101437_zpsvlwl04ju.jpg

20150126_101423_zps70ne1h1h.jpg

Nice receiver shelf. :laughing: Actually it's quite sensible, a good compact system there. How's it sound? I'm not at all familiar with Bostons.

PaulyT said:
Nice receiver shelf. :laughing:
:laughing: Yeah, nowhere else to put it for now. Eventually I will get a cheap shelf system for the components.

How's it sound? I'm not at all familiar with Bostons.
On the warm side. They have soft dome tweeters. Obviously not great sounding speakers but they are good with movies and decent with music. They are good for the price I paid for the 5.1 system.

Deacon said:
I can't imagine keeping the receiver on top of the subwoofer is a good idea.

I either had the choice of stacking my receiver on my Rotel amp in the cabinet, or stacking the amp on my sub in the corner. I tried the receiver on the amp, but you could really feel the heat coming out of the cabinet, so I moved the amp to the sub and have been running it like this for probably 5 years. The amp is 10 years old and still going strong, although I understand this is not the most ideal situation.

AndySTL said:
Looking good. What are the initial thoughts on the Yammy A830?
Very good so far. It has all the features that I was looking for. It is an upgrade to the Denon E300 I was using especially for music. The subwoofer integration is much better with YPAO than with the Audyssey of the Denon.
And I don't have to reset the freakin network card every other day! :banana-dance:

Deacon said:
I can't imagine keeping the receiver on top of the subwoofer is a good idea.

I know a sub's intended use is as a plant stand but we don't have any plants :happy-smileygiantred:

It will not be this way for too long. Getting a shelf rack real soon.

as long as it works in your situation, as mentioned in a previous thread, everyones the exception. we all have variables we have to satisfy and meet.

i love the layout too! very nice and open. much nicer than mine. :(

where do you keep your cd/blu-ray/dvd collection tho?

jomari said:
where do you keep your cd/blu-ray/dvd collection tho?
I have ripped all my CDs, DVDs, and BR discs to 3 NASes and a couple of external HDDs.
I no longer have any discs. I sold my entire music collection (900 CDs) to one person, and sold all the blurays and DVDs on eBay.

My goto distributor just landed D&M Holdings (Marantz, Denon, Boston) Ive been kicking around checking out the M-series just for kicks. My first "real" HT had VR90s in the front and I'd be curious to hear these new products just to hear how the sound has evolved, better or worse. I have no doubt that going from the VR tweeter is much different from the silk dome tweeters in the current stuff.

I can't speak to their better stuff, but the three little Boston Acoustics XS 2.1 systems I put in the kitchen and the girls' bedrooms sound fantastic for their size and cost.

*February 1st update*

Returned the cheap pos RCA TV and replaced it with a much nicer 60" Panasonic Viera. Also I didn't want to spend any money on a component rack, so I just removed the two side shelves of the Ikea bookshelf-turned-TV stand, and put the receiver and the xfinity box in there. The sub is no longer being used a receiver stand. :angelic-green:

And yes, I know I need to clean up the cable mess :teasing-neener:

P1020051_zpsyl2s4jds.jpg

P1020052_zpsg15zbyfm.jpg

I have that TV in my Fam room and master bedroom. Great set for the money. Gotta have 3 HDMI inputs though, that was a little disappointing cause I don't run a receiver in those rooms.

I like the mod to the Ikea cabinet. That looks great!

** If you've seen my family room thread, you know why I have Ikea on the brain.

When I first set up my 5.1 system (before I had a cabinet) I had most of the electronics stacked on a box, and the turntable sitting on my subwoofer. That sounds insane, but when I'm playing an album, I'm only getting stereo thru the mains and the sub isn't operating! :teasing-neener:

Botch said:
...and the turntable sitting on my subwoofer. That sounds insane, but when I'm playing an album, I'm only getting stereo thru the mains and the sub isn't operating!
Having the turntable on top of a giant magnet - separated by maybe an inch of wood - couldn't have done any good. :scared-yipes:

Back