• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New receiver inbound

Akula

Famous
My research has led me to a new receiver purchase- I pulled the trigger on a Marantz SR6012 from Accessories4Less.

Right now it looks like a new TV for our theater is < 1 year out (maybe not even 6 months), and with the new models hitting the retail channel it's pretty easy to see what there would be once we do that. The difference between last year's 6012 and this year's 6013 is the model number incrementing- the only features had by the 6013 are available via firmware update to the 6012. So waiting would do pretty much nothing- no new features until this time next year at best and pricing isn't likely to change much either. I had been looking at the 5012, but the 6012 picks up a few extra goodies (like eARC support and coverage for all the HDR formats) that should help future proof it. It also appears to do well as a preamp if I get the bug to go separates (but then, my Denon 3808 would have done the same and I never bothered).

Looks like I should be seeing it about middle of next week. I've already updated my Xbox One to a One X, so if and when we get a new TV down there I should be ready with some good stuff to look at (between that and the built in TV apps for streaming). May even put a 4K Apple TV down there as well.

That is a phenomenal receiver. I bought the 6010 a couple years ago and absolutely love the thing. You are going to have a big stupid grin on your face when you set it up. Congratulations and a hearty, "You suck!"

Awesome News!!!

What triggered the update?

We've been considering updating the theater a bit. We'd be going to a 4K display (right now the 65" LG OLED is the leading candidate, but wow, it's spendy), and the video section on my trusty old Denon 3808 can't handle 4K resolutions. We have everything running through the receiver (I have never used the speakers on that old Mitsu DLP, I have no idea what they sound like) since everything but the TV is off to the left side (the previous owner, when he built the room, put a bunch of large cubbyholes over there- stupid idea, but this is the only thing I could think to do with them) and we have just a single HDMI running over to the TV.

I could buy everything all at once, but I'd kinda rather do it a bit piecemeal- makes the individual chunks easier to swallow and then stuff is easier to dial in. Instead of trying to set everything up at once, I can do all the AVR setup and calibration, then when we get the TV I can focus on that.

Congrats Akula! I need to get off my butt and do the same thing, and like you, for the 4K passthrough and switching.

One little thing that might save you some time. Set the speaker sizes before running the auto calibration if you do not want all of the speakers set to small.

We've been considering updating the theater a bit. We'd be going to a 4K display (right now the 65" LG OLED is the leading candidate, but wow, it's spendy), and the video section on my trusty old Denon 3808 can't handle 4K resolutions. We have everything running through the receiver (I have never used the speakers on that old Mitsu DLP, I have no idea what they sound like) since everything but the TV is off to the left side (the previous owner, when he built the room, put a bunch of large cubbyholes over there- stupid idea, but this is the only thing I could think to do with them) and we have just a single HDMI running over to the TV.

I could buy everything all at once, but I'd kinda rather do it a bit piecemeal- makes the individual chunks easier to swallow and then stuff is easier to dial in. Instead of trying to set everything up at once, I can do all the AVR setup and calibration, then when we get the TV I can focus on that.
Do we have pics to support this? No pics, it didn't happen. :)

Do you have pics of your existing setup?

No, it's really not that pretty. A lot of crap has ended up getting shoved in those cubbies over time. I really need to clean them out, but I've no idea what to put in there. I could have them removed entirely (and gain space on the back side of the wall in the unfinished section of the basement), but then I'd have to completely redo my speaker wiring (which is run behind the walls through smurf tube). I'd end up spending a fair amount of money to have to rebuild that wall and rework a bunch of other things.

Back