• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Next Gen Amazon Fire TV about to hit market?

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
I went to Amazon to quickly compare the current Fire TV to the new Apple TV 4K, but none are available except as refurbished units.

Maybe they are about to launch a new model?

Hmm, wonder if a new one is one the way that supports HDR and Atmos. Related, was there any mention of Atmos support with the new Apple TV 4K?

I would drop Vudu and switch everything over to Amazon in a hot second if they supported UV.

Haywood, I don't understand. You don't want the Amazon Fire TV for some reason?

:nyah:
:moon:

This thread belongs in the Source Component II section under Video. Sorry.

So I have seen several rumors out there that the next generation Fire TV will be a full-features Echo with an HDMI output for Fire TV capabilities. While this is very intriguing and probably a great idea - the room I want to put it in already has an Echo in earshot in the kitchen. So, adding a second Echo to a common area cannot be a good idea. However, if I want the top video features (4K, HDR, Atmos, etc,) I have to get the model which includes Alexa. If I chose to get this (if the rumors are true), then I could remove the Echo Dot from my Kitchen area, but I use Echo in the kitchen far more often than when I am in the seating area watching TV, so I'd have to shout from the kitchen to get responses from Alexa across the room next to the TV. Bummer.

So I have seen several rumors out there that the next generation Fire TV will be a full-features Echo with an HDMI output for Fire TV capabilities. While this is very intriguing and probably a great idea - the room I want to put it in already has an Echo in earshot in the kitchen. So, adding a second Echo to a common area cannot be a good idea. However, if I want the top video features (4K, HDR, Atmos, etc,) I have to get the model which includes Alexa. If I chose to get this (if the rumors are true), then I could remove the Echo Dot from my Kitchen area, but I use Echo in the kitchen far more often than when I am in the seating area watching TV, so I'd have to shout from the kitchen to get responses from Alexa across the room next to the TV. Bummer.

The Echo devices are supposed to be smart enough that if more than one hears a command, only the closes will respond. I agree that it’s still silly to have two devices in close proximity.

I wonder if there is a Fire TV with built-in Echo capability ... how will that work?
I keep my STBs inside a cabinet. I also tried using a Dot on the TV stand but it simply wouldn’t work when watching TV or playing music since it was too close to the speakers.

You could just turn off the mic on one of them.

You could just turn off the mic on one of them.

If I tell my echo device to turn off the mic, how do I turn it back on again if it isn't listening to me? This reminds me of my wife, AI is getting too realistic.

If I tell my echo device to turn off the mic, how do I turn it back on again if it isn't listening to me? This reminds me of my wife, AI is getting too realistic.
This you will have to do the old fashion way, and hit the button on top.

Although I realize after I posted you were being a little sarcastic, so you probably already knew that.

The Echo devices are supposed to be smart enough that if more than one hears a command, only the closes will respond. I agree that it’s still silly to have two devices in close proximity.

I wonder if there is a Fire TV with built-in Echo capability ... how will that work?
I keep my STBs inside a cabinet. I also tried using a Dot on the TV stand but it simply wouldn’t work when watching TV or playing music since it was too close to the speakers.
Interesting. I keep my Dot on top of the TV stand under the TV which puts it w/in 6" of my right speaker. I don't have issues with it hearing or understanding me. The only rare exception is when it's something odd (like adding an unusual item to my grocery list) and the sound is pretty loud.

With multiple types of devices starting to appear with Alexa built in, they're going to have to get really good at only one device responding at a time. If this does come out someone could have a Fire in the living room, an Echo in the kitchen and an Ecobee Thermostat somewhere in between. One Alexa command could easily be heard by all three devices.

John

Interesting. I keep my Dot on top of the TV stand under the TV which puts it w/in 6" of my right speaker. I don't have issues with it hearing or understanding me. The only rare exception is when it's something odd (like adding an unusual item to my grocery list) and the sound is pretty loud.

With multiple types of devices starting to appear with Alexa built in, they're going to have to get really good at only one device responding at a time. If this does come out someone could have a Fire in the living room, an Echo in the kitchen and an Ecobee Thermostat somewhere in between. One Alexa command could easily be heard by all three devices.

John

Ecobee thermostats can be controlled by Alexa, but do not have Alexa built directly in (unless there is a new version I don't know about). I've had one for maybe 8 months and really like it a lot. Having sensors around the house really helps too, especially during times of day when only one floor is occupied.

Back