• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

OK here we go....

walls

Well the wife and I spent quite a bit of time evaluating the 80 Sharp, the better of the two models available, and honestly aside from its overall size we were not impressed with the pic quality. It is juust slightly "blurry' and has considerable color problems in the flesh tones. Mind you we were left alone with the set in a display room where I we watched ota high def and some blus. I did in fact mess with almost every option on the set and could never get it to be as crisp a picture as I am used to seeing on other sets.

My wife pointed out a 65" Samsung LED that just looked plain stunning and at almost half the price. She then said that quite possibly with the money we "saved" by buying the Samsung we could upgrade our 7 year old projector sssoooo..........

I am seriously considering the 65" Samsung, smaller then what I wanted but the pic is just plain fantastic, probably the best I have seen.

Now as far as projectors go I am gonna stay in a tight $3000 or less budget. I could care less about 3D and just want to focus on best overall bang for the buck 1080p pic quality. I am not a fan of DLP because of 1. moving parts to break and 2. I had one of the first 4805's for a little while and was made dizzy by the rainbow effect.

Any thought on the Panny 8000u ?

1080p
extremely high contrast
bulb rated at 5000 hours, as apposed to most that are 2-4 thousand.
Panny reliability

What series Samsung, Walls? The ES8000?

As for the PJ, I honestly don't know how you could go wrong with either top end model from Panasonic or Epson. And they're both in the sub-$3000 range.

I believe it was this one,http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+65%26%2334%3B+Class+-+LED+-+1080p+-+120Hz+-+Smart+-+3D+-+HDTV/4848187.p?id=1218551143892&skuId=4848187 but the bezel and stand seemed thinner then in the pic and it was silver. I wonder if maybe we were looking at one of last years left over models?

I like the lenz shift and placement possibilities of the Panny as well. I have a 106" screen and the projector mount is right around 11' from the screen so the panny will mount right where my Z3 hangs.

:text-threadjacked:

Hey Zing, what's your throw distance with the Epson?

:text-thankyoublue:

walls said:
I believe it was this one...but the bezel and stand seemed thinner then in the pic and it was silver. I wonder if maybe we were looking at one of last years left over models?
Do you recall what its base or stand looked like? Do either of these look familiar?

440x330-d8000_front.jpg

samsung-es8000-tv.jpg

I still prefer Panasonic for being more reliable and best bang for buck. I don't know if it's just coincidence or a revealed flaw that I know of 3 Samsungs just recently that are under 2 years old and broke. I knw a lot have luck with them as well, just an observation. For me and everyone I know with a Panasonic I've only ever seen one tank, and it broke straight out of the box.

65" Panny ST series Plasma can be had for $2200. CNET editor's choice.

Get it while you still can.

D

Not gonna do a plasma, I watch way too much espn and 240 films. I was always worried about the Mits with burn in and always took precautions and dont want to have that hanging in my head all the time. lol.

Went grocery shopping at WalMart tonight and actually really also like the Visio 65" led, the 240hz model, was under $1600.

walls said:
Not gonna do a plasma, I watch way too much espn and 240 films. I was always worried about the Mits with burn in and always took precautions and dont want to have that hanging in my head all the time. lol.

Went grocery shopping at WalMart tonight and actually really also like the Visio 65" led, the 240hz model, was under $1600.

Im never careful. My boy plays video games etc etc. i've had more image retention on my 32" lcd than both 42" panny plasmas. Your mileage may vary, but I dont think its worth fearing

walls said:

Burn in is not an issue with plasmas anymore.

Zing said:
walls said:
I believe it was this one...but the bezel and stand seemed thinner then in the pic and it was silver. I wonder if maybe we were looking at one of last years left over models?
Do you recall what its base or stand looked like? Do either of these look familiar?

440x330-d8000_front.jpg

samsung-es8000-tv.jpg

Looked like the one on top, only it was all silver/chrome.

walls said:

There you go. I'm of the opinion lately that one shouldn't spend big bucks for a top of the line set that is used for casual viewing, like the way I use my living room TV. Since you have a dedicated theater, get one that meets your size/feature requirement and spend the extra cash in the theater.

I have a 67" Samsung LED Light Engine 1080p DLP set that I bought in 2007, which I still love. I have never found it to be too small in a living room setting. 65" will look a hell of a lot bigger in a real world setting than it appears in the store. People who walk into my house almost always comment on the size of my TV. It dominates my smallish living room.

Shopping for flat panels by actually watching them on a show room floor is tough. Problem is that they usually have had nobody spend any time tweaking their PQ. If you can give a few a look on a first pass, then do some research, then go back and "calibrate" (meaning switching off "features" that degrade the pic etc.) before giving them a final look, all the better.

Just for fun, where I've managed to get hold of the remote for a set at a BB or equivalent, I've spent ten minutes or so doing this and have had customers / staff go "wow" when they see the picture compared to how it was.

Making a flat panel choice solely as a "passive" customer: really really tough!

Well the new TV purchase is officially on the backburner until I get my shop back in order. Priorities.

Got a Samsung 7150. 60" came with glasses and a wireless keyboard, nice damn TV.

Also gonna order a new Panny 8000 projector, will post pics when its all up and running.

walls said:
Got a Samsung 7150. 60" came with glasses and a wireless keyboard, nice damn TV.

Also gonna order a new Panny 8000 projector, will post pics when its all up and running.

Inaugural STL GTG?

walls said:

And.....you suck!

Back