• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

OLED is finally common

I think Sony and LG are moving toward a model where low-end sets will be edge lit LED LCD, mid to upper priced sets up to 65 inches will be OLED and very large sets will be Full-Array Local Dimming LED LCD. Samsung seems to be sticking with LCD across the board for now, though I am baffled that they completely abandoned vastly superior FALD in favor of edge lighting to make the display thinner. I really don't understand why thinner is more important than image quality. Vizio is all about value for the dollar, so I expect they will continue with LCD for several more years, with FALD on their better sets. I'm not sure where the rest of the industry will go.

I tried that and nothing happened. Then I told them Judas Priest was playing downtown and they made a beeline for the back door. Insert your own punch line here...

"Back door" ... he he

:rofl:

I am baffled that they completely abandoned vastly superior FALD in favor of edge lighting to make the display thinner. I really don't understand why thinner is more important than image quality.

Because most of our society seems to be more interested in gimmicky than performance. At least that is my impression anyway.

Sony's flagship FALD LCD set has over a thousand zones of local dimming. Mine only has 128 zones and back-lighting artifacts are very minimal. I imagine that would drop to ZERO with over a thousand zones and brightness is over a thousand nits. I would absolutely put that technology on par with OLED.

Sorry, what is FALD? Sumpin sumpin Local Dimming?

Full
Array
Local
Dimming

Basically the set has a bunch of backlighting "zones" and when that zone is supposed to display a dark image the backlight in that zone dims to make it appear darker. The more zones a set has the better that effect works.

FALD has three advantages over OLED. They cannot quite match the black level (they come close), but they can absolutely match the contrast ratio.
1. Bigger
2. Brighter
3. Longer Life

"Let the Price Wars begin!"

main-qimg-ece3d051d8f497e5a3811779138ecfce-c

We saw some of the LG OLED sets a week ago at the local HT shop (I had made another thread about that visit).

Those who had seen them were saying they were amazing. I thought "Yeah, the new stuff is always amazing. Whatever."

HOLY CRAP. IT'S AMAZING.

Granted, the one I saw first was the top end LG Signature set, but a trip to Best Buy to see the ones that are actually relatively affordable and those are pretty nice as well. I'm still waiting to let the price come down on the things, but now I know what I'd pick if my DLP RPTV died.

I don't think I am going to wait for my old RPTV to die. It grows closer by the day to being replaced.

I don't think I am going to wait for my old RPTV to die. It grows closer by the day to being replaced.

Yeah, mine may not make it to that point either. I'm still waiting for prices to drop a bit more (I'd like to see a 65" OLED for under $2000), but the way things are, that may not take that much more time. I'm already even eyeballing A/V receivers since I'll need something in the theater room that can handle and upscale to 4K.

I may try to go with a 75" downstairs. I think that would be nice. I think that would work well. :biggrin:

The difference between 65 and 75 is not subtle. I had the money for an OLED. I specifically chose to go with Sony's high-end FALD LED set over OLED, because the picture quality gap was not big, the Sony actually did a better job with HD content and the visual impact of the bigger screen was worth the small compromise on the picture. When you do not have the space to properly set up a projector, a really great 75-inch set is about as close as you can get to a theater experience.

In audio the difference between 65 watts and 75 watts is just barely perceptible. Funny how that works.

I hope that you can find something that fits your needs........................................................:nyah:

The difference between 65 and 75 is not subtle. I had the money for an OLED. I specifically chose to go with Sony's high-end FALD LED set over OLED, because the picture quality gap was not big, the Sony actually did a better job with HD content and the visual impact of the bigger screen was worth the small compromise on the picture. When you do not have the space to properly set up a projector, a really great 75-inch set is about as close as you can get to a theater experience.

Yeah, the reason I said I'll likely go 65" is because that's pretty much the next size up. My Mitsubishi RPTV is 57". I am not interested in going smaller (which would mean going to 55", which would be quite a bit cheaper). 75" would fit, but I don't know that I feel the need to go that huge.

I'm still a good long ways out, so who knows. If they get used to making large OLED sets and they really come down in price I'd not rule one out.

Back