• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

OLED is finally common

Well upon reflection the current display downstairs is a 55" so a 65" would be a noticeable improvement. A 75" might be too big.

Yeah, the reason I said I'll likely go 65" is because that's pretty much the next size up. My Mitsubishi RPTV is 57". I am not interested in going smaller (which would mean going to 55", which would be quite a bit cheaper). 75" would fit, but I don't know that I feel the need to go that huge.

I'm still a good long ways out, so who knows. If they get used to making large OLED sets and they really come down in price I'd not rule one out.

All jokes aside, my wife thought I was nuts when I said I wanted a 75" set, but she really liked it once I got it installed.

Yeah, mine may not make it to that point either. I'm still waiting for prices to drop a bit more (I'd like to see a 65" OLED for under $2000), but the way things are, that may not take that much more time. I'm already even eyeballing A/V receivers since I'll need something in the theater room that can handle and upscale to 4K.

I just realized that if I go 4k I will need to upgrade my preprocessor or not run the TV through it. Right?

All UHD players thus far have dual HDMI outputs so you can run video direct to the display and audio to a non-4K AVR/prepro. The Oppo 203 also includes an HDMI input that can be used for a second 4K source and you'd only need one HDMI run to your display for the two sources (bigger deal for projectors than televisions).

Last edited:
I just realized that if I go 4k I will need to upgrade my preprocessor or not run the TV through it. Right?

As Haywood says, yes. I'm not sure how good the scaler is on most of these sets- they always look fantastic with a native 4K source, but as we learned with the first round of HDTVs, if you feed it a non-HD source stuff can look pretty nasty. I would expect they could scale 720p and 1080i/p sources decently, but maybe not SD resolutions. I have generally made sure I had a receiver with a good scaler in it so I could just scale stuff up to a resolution the TV actually displays well. It's a little easier to get a receiver with a quality scaler than it is to make sure the TV scales things well. Or at least, that has been the case in the past. Maybe TV makers have improved their game, but since displays have been in a constant competition to keep the price down (to an extent most other components haven't experienced), I'd be surprised if this still wasn't true.

So I'm pretty much mentally adding $800ish to the price of any OLED 4K set for a receiver with full analog to HDMI conversion and 4K upscaling.

All UHD players thus far have dual HDMI outputs so you can run video direct to the display and audio to a non-4K AVR/prepro. The Oppo 203 also includes an HDMI input that can be used for a second 4K source and you'd only need one HDMI run to your display for the two sources (bigger deal for projectors than televisions).

That is only true of disc players. The same does not apply to any of the streaming boxes. If you want 4K HDR from Netflix, Amazon and other providers, you need HDCP 2.2.

Can the Oppo split the audio for a device plugged into the input?

Last edited:
That is only true of disc players. The same does not apply to any of the streaming boxes. If you want 4K HDR from Netflix, Amazon and other providers, you need HDCP 2.2.

Can the Oppo split the audio for a device plugged into the input?

Well, thing is, with a good chunk of the streaming services (at least Netflix and Amazon, the two big ones), if the TV can display such things then chances are you can stream directly to the set without needing an outside device, making HDCP capabilities moot where that is concerned. I'm not sure if there are any OLED displays that aren't Smart TVs capable of streaming directly. If the set will take it directly, I just use it that way.

Well, thing is, with a good chunk of the streaming services (at least Netflix and Amazon, the two big ones), if the TV can display such things then chances are you can stream directly to the set without needing an outside device, making HDCP capabilities moot where that is concerned. I'm not sure if there are any OLED displays that aren't Smart TVs capable of streaming directly. If the set will take it directly, I just use it that way.

That strategy will work fine for the major services like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Vudu and YouTube. Things get dicey quickly after that with a patchwork of app support on different platforms. Our Sony supports most of the apps we use, but not all of them. DramaFever is a big gap for my wife. The good news if you do add a streaming box is that the better ones have an optical out for audio, so you can just run the HDMI straight to your TV. Since streaming services do not support advanced audio codecs, this is not a huge issue. It is mostly just a pain in the ass to set up.

Back