• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

OMG! Our UK friend was right all along!!!

Well, I know my moviegoing experience has been incomplete without wondering if I'd end up with a speaker in my lap if they didn't secure them properly.

Ive been to several Atmos presentations at theaters and it is impressive. I'm not sure it'll ever be a killer selling point for the mass market. Now that I think of it, the majority of my non-Audio Annex friends don't use more than three of the now "standard" eight channels of audio from their receivers.

I find it interesting how the entire market shifted to smaller speakers as surround sound took off and its subsequent requirement for more speakers. And then more optional speakers. And now even more optional speakers are being proposed.

I'm probably in the minority but I'd rather have fewer but larger speakers than smaller but more speakers.

Zing said:
I'm probably in the minority but I'd rather have fewer but larger speakers than smaller but more speakers.
Kinda like quality over quantity? I'm with you on that.

I'm sure all of us here would agree. That said, we've seen that to the average consumer convenience trumps quality every single time. If Atmos fails to gain traction in the mass consumer market (and I believe it will) it'll be because of how inconvenient it has to be to mount/power/feed overhead speakers. It's inevitable lack of success won't have anything to do with people choosing fewer better speakers.

Towen7 said:
It's inevitable lack of success won't have anything to do with people choosing fewer better speakers.
Agreed. Wholeheartedly. I was merely lamenting that, essentially, 5 is enough for me.

I haven't read the article(s) in their entirety, so forgive me if I'm overlooking the answer....is Atmos just another DSP that the receiver/preamp generates after accepting/decrypting what's on the BD? Or are certain BDs going to be encoded with the extra channels?

All of the theaters I've been to that have Atmos have been pretty damn impressive. But you'd have to have a pretty large space to implement it at home and be worthwhile. If future BDs are encoded with additional discrete channels it would be pretty cool to demo.

Also further proof that there will always be the "next thing"...

Batman said:
But you'd have to have a pretty large space to implement it at home and be worthwhile.
Uh...., have you seen the photos of "Our UK friend" a.k.a. Ashley's home cinema? :eusa-whistle:

Atmos in the theater has up to 64 discrete channels. For home environments Atmos supports 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.2, 7.1.4, and 9.1.2 speaker configurations. But the answer is that Atmos is both discrete channels and DSP Because, as I understand the process, the engineer using Atmos mastering tools to define a point in space (X and Y coordinate) and the software determines which available speaker(s) to route the sound through.

So here's the solution to the "how do I string cables to this darn thing" problem.

You know those recharging mats that Flint loves so much that he's lining his clothes with them? Well for a one-time cost just wrap your whole friggin house in the material. Upgrade your home's electrical service to a couple of MWs. Power it up and voila! Everything that's rechargeable in your house is.

So those ceiling mounted speakers? Make them wireless for the signal, and rechargeable battery powered.

I'm sure all that extra EMF exposure is harmless, but just in case buy a canary. If you find him hanging upside down from his perch, you may want to back off a bit on the surround channels.

This idea's a freebie, and now openly in the public domain. Therefore Monster cannot patent it and prevent you from using it.

Go for it!

DIYer said:
Zing said:
Kinda like quality over quantity? I'm with you on that.

Agreed. Like what has been mentioned, Atmos is all discrete. Ashley's setup was just a hodge podge of prologic receivers daisy chained to get all those crazy channels via matrixing. I tried something similar in the late 90s when EX (6.1) was new on the scene. I liked it, but some of the ambient sounds (like rain, traffic, etc) would collapse to the center surround speakers instead of being played through all the surrounds. Mine was just two extra speakers for the back surround, nothing like his where he was getting 10+ extra channels from 5 discrete channels.

Sometimes less is more.

Saw this past week that the new Yamaha Aventage receivers will have Atmos built-in.

DIYer said:
Yesfan70 said:
I tried something similar in the late 90s
You too, Yesfan? :scared-eek:

Learn something new everyday...

Nothing like Ash hole's setup, but I tried mine after reading an article on getting EX from Dolby 5.1 in the first issue of S&V by David Ranada. All it involved was running the pre-outs of the L&R surround channels in my then Denon receiver, to a second Dolby ProLogic receiver's LCR inputs and setting the Pro Logic mode to Dolby 3 stereo. The L+R portion of the surround channels were played by the back surround speaker(s) instead of both the LR surround speakers.

It worked with more directional sounds like jets flying overhead and gunfire, but more ambient sounds like rain or back ground traffic all that would collapse to the back surround speakers instead of been played through all the surround speakers. I think I ran that setup for less than a year before going back to 5.1.

Back