• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

OMG! Our UK friend was right all along!!!

Yesfan70 said:
DIYer said:
Yesfan70 said:
I tried something similar in the late 90s
You too, Yesfan? :scared-eek:

Learn something new everyday...

Nothing like Ash hole's setup, but I tried mine after reading an article on getting EX from Dolby 5.1 in the first issue of S&V by David Ranada. All it involved was running the pre-outs of the L&R surround channels in my then Denon receiver, to a second Dolby ProLogic receiver's LCR inputs and setting the Pro Logic mode to Dolby 3 stereo. The L+R portion of the surround channels were played by the back surround speaker(s) instead of both the LR surround speakers.

It worked with more directional sounds like jets flying overhead and gunfire, but more ambient sounds like rain or back ground traffic all that would collapse to the back surround speakers instead of been played through all the surround speakers. I think I ran that setup for less than a year before going back to 5.1.

Ha! I did the same thing after reading that article, although instead of going back to 5.1, I upgraded the receiver to be able to do true EX.

Huey said:
................Ha! I did the same thing after reading that article, although instead of going back to 5.1, I upgraded the receiver to be able to do true EX.

I had to ride the 5.1 wagon a little longer until I could do my upgrade. :)

Maybe I'm getting old..... but sometimes just putting my system in good old 2.0 sounds fantastic.

Razz said:
Maybe I'm getting old..... but sometimes just putting my system in good old 2.0 sounds fantastic.

I've had a desire of late to downsize and simplify a lot of AV things. The one exception is my little theater where I still want as many channels, pixels, dimensions, and inches as possible. I may not always want to use them, but I want the ability to make that choice.

Razz said:
Yeah but your "2" is "just" a pair of Dynaudio Contour S5.1. If it didn't sound fantastic, I'd be worried! :)

JeffMackwood said:
Razz said:
Yeah but your "2" is "just" a pair of Dynaudio Contour S5.1. If it didn't sound fantastic, I'd be worried! :)

Yeah, I agree.

Hmmm.......7 Klipsch bookshelfs or a pair of Dynaudios Contours. I think I know what I would pick. ;)

Back