• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Onkyo 708 - has a nice noise floor.

nelmr

Hey guys, I just wanted to let everyone know that the 708 appears to have a great noise floor. I was using my Sony Walkman MP3 player hooked up the front inputs via the headphone out and cranked the receiver all the way up (+18 on the relative scale). I had to do this because I forgot I had the volume limiter turned on in the MP3 player. While there was some slight hiss very close to the 93.5dB sensitivity speakers, none could be heard at the listening location 8 feet away.

I was quite impressed, as I could hear hiss on the Denon 3310 at +4dB (also on the relative scale) from the listening location when cranking it with nothing playing from a source (I didn't get to try it with the MP3 player like I did on the Onkyo).

Nevertheless, I'm quite pleased. I would have though cranking it all the way up would have introduced quite a bit of hiss. For example, on my car AUX in with this MP3 (it has a weak preout level compared to say my wife's zune), I get quite a bit of hiss.

So anyone looking for a low noise AVR, you might want to give this one a look.

I'm interested on hearing more about this receiver. My Denon 2802 just crapped out and my wife has approved a ~$500 replacement. The 708 seems to be at the top of my list. What other models did you consider besides the 3310? Also, does the 708 do HDMI passive pass thru? I couldn't find info on this online and I need this, as my wife often uses the tv and insn't interested in using the receiver.

It does have pass thru on HDMI, but I don't really require it as I always use the TV with the HT system. From the manual for verification:

"When set to “On”, regardless of whether the AV receiver is On
or in Standby, both audio and video stream from an HDMI input
will be output to the TV or other components via HDMI connection
(HDMI pass through function). When the HDMI pass
through function activates in standby mode, HDMI THRU indicator
will light."

The other model in this price range I was looking at was the Pioneer 1120. However, it is not rated to drive 4ohm speakers if that is important to you, neither does it have Audyssey (but I don't use it anyway). It's rated higher in power output, but I doubt it really does any better. It may even not put out as much as the 708.

I wholeheartedly recommend the 708. I really can't find anything cons with it (other than it's looks, which are kind of ugly to me, but that matters the least IMO).

Looking at slick deals, you may be able to get this receiver for $549 at newegg + free shipping + $50 gift card using the promo $50GC

That promo code didn't work.

I really want to go ahead and order it, but I may see what kind of sales there are after Xmas. Hopefully I won't regret waiting.

Andy,

Amazon is currently selling for the 709 for $537.98 free shipping from 6ave.com. That's $11 cheaper.

Not sure if this was meant for me, but yes, I am still in the market. I haven't made a decision yet. I am considering the Pioneer VSX-1120-K as well. Part of me wants to just give it a month or two. For the most part of my adult life, when I really wanted something I moved fast. I usually found a better deal after I made my purchase. I have a new baby at home and can live without my receiver for a while. I have another system in my office that can get me by. I may wait it out and see what deals come to me as I wait.

Andy just be careful of the Pioneers, they use universal crossover points. So if you have mismatched speakers like alot of us here do, then you can only pick one crossover point, while Denon and Onkyo allow you to adjust the crossover of each speaker independantly.

MatthewB said:
Andy just be careful of the Pioneers, they use universal crossover points. So if you have mismatched speakers like alot of us here do, then you can only pick one crossover point, while Denon and Onkyo allow you to adjust the crossover of each speaker independantly.

This post is freakishly coincidental on the timing. I am considering ordering the Pioneer VSX-1120K tonight. I'm really torn on the decision to make a purchase. In the ~$500 range there are alot of choices, and none of them seem perfect. I keep feeling like if I wait long enough a great deal on a model outside of my price range may become available. I read about the crossover on the Pioneer. I don't think it's a huge deal for me. I have 3 Studio 20's across the front and a pair of Polk f/x in the rear. I would think my crossover point would be pretty close on the rear. Even if the desirable crossover on the rear is slightly higher, I'm not sure how big of a deal that would be for me. I listen to music in 2-ch. For some reason I am nervous about HDMI issues on the Onkyo. I may limp by on my 13 year old Sony ES receiver until the time is right. Supposedly, a replacement for the VSX-1120 is due around April.

Andy check Audiogon and look for a Denon 3808ci used they should run about 500.00 and is a great receiver.

MatthewB said:
Andy check Audiogon and look for a Denon 3808ci used they should run about 500.00 and is a great receiver.

I picked up a 4310 at a shockingly low price on Sunday...only $385. It was open box, but so far all is well. This receiver rocks!

Maximo said:
WHAT! A 4310 for $385. That's a sick deal. You suck man. seriously.

I know, it's almost embarrassing. I was reading over at AVS that BB Magnolia was clearing out all of the non-3D receivers for really low prices. They began at the end of November, but inventory was low. They were selling new 2310, 3310, and 4310 for $199, $299, and $549 respectively. Some stores further marked down the open box units. I just lucked out big time.

Like you another piece of gear, Matt. Jeeze! You could open a store with all the crap you've got.

Back