• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Onkyo TX NR708

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
I just ordered the Onkyo TX NR708 from Newegg.com for $599.00; no tax; no shipping!! :banana-dance: :banana-rock:

Excellent! I have been biting my nails for a week wondering if you were gonna get something soon! Just kidding...

I believe you will truly enjoy that thing once you get it setup and calibrated. A good receiver will be forgotten once you have it running as you like so you can simply enjoy the audio for video you got it to play in the firstplace.

:text-bravo: :text-bravo: :text-bravo:

Congrats, and you suck! :happy-smileygiantred:

I am seriously considering this:

(4) - Studio 20's and the CC V2 and the SVS PB12-NSD Driven Solely by the Onkyo for the 5.1 System.

AND

Keep the Studio 60's driven with the B&K Power Amp for my Stereo 2 channel listening???

What do you think, or should I just keep the 60's as part of the 5.1.

Way over thinking this................

Are you planning on having second system for 2-channel audio? If not, then I'd use the 60's as mains.

Then again, I don't even know why I posted this. I said buy a Denon; you bought an Onkyo. I said buy a 20 for your center channel and you bought a CC v2. :teasing-neener:

So yeah, buy 4 20's to use with movies, keep the 60's for music only, use your SVS for movies and buy a Hsu for music. Use your new Onkyo for movies but get a Yamaha for the music. Be sure to use a Harmony One remote for movies but buy a URC for when you listen to music. :laughing-rolling:

Zing said:
Are you planning on having second system for 2-channel audio? If not, then I'd use the 60's as mains.

:text-+1:

Like Zing said, unless you've got a great place for a separate 2 channel system, I'd use them for the mains and also enjoy them for 2 channel music.

Dennie

Oh yeah, Congratulations on the Onkyo, I've heard good things about them. :text-bravo:

Dennie

heeman said:
I am seriously considering this:

(4) - Studio 20's and the CC V2 and the SVS PB12-NSD Driven Solely by the Onkyo for the 5.1 System.

AND

Keep the Studio 60's driven with the B&K Power Amp for my Stereo 2 channel listening???

What do you think, or should I just keep the 60's as part of the 5.1.

Way over thinking this................

If I were you, I would use the Studio 60s as the FR and FL speakers in the 5.1 rig, then use them for 2 channel music when you need music.

I am a STRONG supporter of the principle that the best two channel systems can also be part of a 5.1 or 7.1 system.

Thanks everyone for your support and advice! :text-thankyoublue:

I will still use the 60's as my mains in the 5.1 system powered by the B&K power amp. I have my eye on a B&K 3 channel power amp on ebay??? HUM???

Calibration and set up of the Receiver will be the next major task.

I also need to find the best Ceiling Mount for the Studio 20's. The Omini Mount looks like a good system, just concerned about screwing into the back of the 20's!

heeman said:
... just concerned about screwing into the back of the 20's!

It's ok, there's a separate port for that. :scared-eek:

Well my plans were to set-up the system this weekend, and I will however the is a defect with the Onkyo. It is a cosmetic defect. A peice of debris under the front display lens. Appears to be a small flake of cardboard or paper. :angry-tappingfoot:

Shippint the unit back to Newegg for replacement.

Will continue with mounting the rear speakers and finishing up the Flexi-Rack.

THIS SUCKS!!

Not cool! :handgestures-thumbdown: That's why I always inspect everything for functional and cosmetic defects upon receipt even if it's weeks or months before install. Sorry to hear about this heeman...Just get into some other stuff this weekend :eek:bscene-drinkingdrunk: or

Well, I'm glad you saw it before you got it all hooked up.

Let's hope the turn around time is quick and you can be up and running next weekend!

Keep us posted,

Dennie

Flint wrote:
"If I were you, I would use the Studio 60s as the FR and FL speakers in the 5.1 rig, then use them for 2 channel music when you need music."

"I am a STRONG supporter of the principle that the best two channel systems can also be part of a 5.1 or 7.1 system."
I have a 5.1 system with my FR & FL towers powered by a 2 channel Adcom, and center by a mono Marantz. (Denon receiver)
. . . It sounds very nice for stereo listening, or in 5.1 mode.

So I support Flints statements.

I would seriously put a small cooling fan to draw out the immense heat from the back right section of that Onkyo. Onkyo receivers run very hot and the best thing I bought for my 805 was my cooling fan.

MatthewB said:
I would seriously put a small cooling fan to draw out the immense heat from the back right section of that Onkyo. Onkyo receivers run very hot and the best thing I bought for my 805 was my cooling fan.

I will not be using any of the onboard amplifiers in this receiver. I will also have this on top of a rack.

Do they still run very hot in the pre/processor mode?

heeman said:
MatthewB said:

I will not be using any of the onboard amplifiers in this receiver. I will also have this on top of a rack.

Do they still run very hot in the pre/processor mode?

The amplifier section of the Onkyo is still active even though you're not engaging it in the amplification loop, so yes.

You could pop the top and extract the amplifier fuses from the Onkyo

Rope

You should be ok. I have heard thatthe 05 seires receivers ran hot. I gotta believe they have fixed that by now.

Maximo, no they haven't fixed the issue. They still run very hot. It has nothing to do with the actual amp section but the video processing chips that generate the most heat, hence why my suggestion on placing a fan on the back right side where those video chips are located.

Back