• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Oppo BD83SE

Zing

Retired Admin
Superstar
I am tickled pink with this new player. Im still not used to having a single disc player for so many formats but otherwise I'm loving it - and its features.

I have it connected three ways: HDMI for movies; Coaxial digital for CDs and 5.1 analog for multichannel music. Once my headphone amp arrives (no Rope, I haven't even been notified of shipment yet :x ) I'll connect the stereo analog outs to the WA6.

The only hiccup I've seen so far is, when I use the HDMI for CD listeing, I get sporadic dropouts. The music will go silent for a second or two and then come back on. It's really a non-issue because I can use another output - and I frequently use the analog output because it sounds that much better than digital.

003-2.jpg

Sweet! I've sorta thought about getting a BDP80 for BD and SACD playback, since I'm getting irritated by how loud the (old model) PS3 gets. But I don't do enough of either to justify the cash at the moment...

PaulyT said:
Sweet! I've sorta thought about getting a BDP80 for BD and SACD playback, since I'm getting irritated by how loud the (old model) PS3 gets. But I don't do enough of either to justify the cash at the moment...
BDP80 will work fine, unless you have >52" screen. No fan noise to worry about. :cool:

Zing said:
The only hiccup I've seen so far is, when I use the HDMI for CD listeing, I get sporadic dropouts. The music will go silent for a second or two and then come back on.
I remember reading about that somewhere else. Does it only happen with CD and not other media?
BTW, 83SE put extra emphasis on their analog output design. Using other output for stereo listening would defeat the purpose of paying extra for it.

DIYer said:
I remember reading about that somewhere else. Does it only happen with CD and not other media?
BTW, 83SE put extra emphasis on their analog output design. Using other output for stereo listening would defeat the purpose of paying extra for it.
Yes, only with CDs. And yes I realize that about the analog outputs. It was merely trial and experimentation using the HDMI for CDs.

PaulyT said:
Interesting. Why the 52" cutoff?
I've read it somewhere. At least you and I don't have to worry.

PaulyT said:
To be honest, I'm not even sure where the video decoding/scaling in my system is taking place, whether it's the source (PS3), pre/pro (885), or TV (Toshiba Regza)... :oops:
AND YOU'RE AN ADMIN OF A HOME THEATER FORUM?!?!?!?!? :angry-banghead:

:teasing-neener:

This isn't the fuckin' VIDEO annex!

Hey, it happens occasionally. But only when it's appropriate and necessary for the proper expression of whatever profound thought I'm posting.

But you really should save those "proper expressions" for the Free For All sections. :twocents-mytwocents:

Zing said:
But you really should save those "proper expressions" for the Free For All sections. :twocents-mytwocents:

Yeah, true. I'll try to behave.

:text-imnewhere:

Will Zing please answer the fookin question of why not the 80 on a screen larger than 52 inches? Enquiring minds want to know. :text-imnewhere:
Rob

Huey said:
Will Zing please answer the fookin question of why not the 80 on a screen larger than 52 inches? Enquiring minds want to know. :text-imnewhere:
Rob
Here's Oppo's link on it. The term "small" or "large" screen is determined at around 50" as I noticed at retailer sites, thus 52" (standard increment).

Alright, I have something that irks me about this player. Actually, my old 981 did it too so maybe all Oppos do this.

While it's paused, if I skip a track, it starts playing that track immediately - it doesn't stay paused. Is this an intentional design feature or can I I disable that somehow?

It just ocurred to me - I have Autoplay set to on, thinking that when a disc loads, it plays automatically (which it does). Now that I think about it, I'll have to change that to Off and see what the result is. Maybe I just answered my own question.

Pauly - notice how I didn't start a new post with my realization? :eusa-whistle:

Back