• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Oppo BD83SE

Oooooohhh, I like how this forum doesn't even make you wait 30s between posts!

Not to highjack....I'm no video expert...I own the BDP80 & 46" Sony LCD.........outstanding player (I'm using the analog outs & let the 80 do the audio decoding).
But from what I remember, the 83 unit has a better video chip (not that the 80 has a bad one).
But I think you would be hard pressed to notice any difference between the two units on a 52" or larger screen.
But I'm an "old fart".......you young whipper-snappers........may have better eyes...

Zing said:
It just ocurred to me - I have Autoplay set to on, thinking that when a disc loads, it plays automatically (which it does). Now that I think about it, I'll have to change that to Off and see what the result is.
DINGDINGDINGDING! You may have just answered my issue about having to turn on my TV and navigate to play a DVD-A or Bluray "music only" disk. I'll have to play with that tonight! :text-thankyoublue:

Believe it or not, even though I've had the 83SE for a while now, I just got around to tinkering with the AIX Calibration Disc last night and I noticed an anomaly.

In the system setup/channel identification section, I heard the tones in each and every one of their offerings and the correct corresponding codec was displayed on my pre/pro except for the DTS HD MA track. My pre/pro was displaying DTS HD MA but I couldn't hear a thing from any channel.

Has this happened to anyone else? What kind of problem does this indicate?

That hasn't happened to me, but I have identified other bugs in the BDP83SE. One of the most annoying is that if you don't use a center channel, and set all speakers to large, the player won't output 7.1, but will fall back to 5.1. Also, I use the volume control in the player to set my overall playback level, and this control defaults to maximum volume every time the player is turned off. You have to manually hit the volume control on the remote to lower the volume back to where it was.

I have reported both of these to OPPO, and I must say that they are less than responsive in correcting either fault. I don't care for the attitude of their customer service people.

Otherwise the player sounds great and produces a great picture.

Zing said:
Believe it or not, even though I've had the 83SE for a while now, I just got around to tinkering with the AIX Calibration Disc last night and I noticed an anomaly.

In the system setup/channel identification section, I heard the tones in each and every one of their offerings and the correct corresponding codec was displayed on my pre/pro except for the DTS HD MA track. My pre/pro was displaying DTS HD MA but I couldn't hear a thing from any channel.

Has this happened to anyone else? What kind of problem does this indicate?

My AIX disc is the same, it provides a 7.1 sound track in both DTS HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD. It's been awhile, I believe you have to select multichannel, don't remember for certain.

Rope

soundhound said:
I use the volume control in the player to set my overall playback level,
What kind of attenuation, in digital or analog domain? I heard about digital volume control done by reducing bits but wouldn't that compromise sound quality?

DIYer said:
soundhound said:
I use the volume control in the player to set my overall playback level,
What kind of attenuation, in digital or analog domain? I heard about digital volume control done by reducing bits but wouldn't that compromise sound quality?

The SE has two analog outputs; 7.1 and stereo L/R (which is independent from the L/R on the 7.1 outputs). When listening to the stereo outputs for music playback, I run the volume on the player to full and use the potentiometer volume control on my preamp to set playback level. Actually though, more often than not, I stream audio from iTunes on my computer, playing Apple Lossless files. I use this sound card: http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/asus_xonar_essence_ststx_soundcards/index.html.

The 7.1 volume control could degrade the sound all it wants at any position other than full up since I don't care about movie sound quality all that much.

Back