• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Oppo BDP-93 expected out before Christmas

emoxley

Oppo's new player will offer streaming and 3-D, wireless N networking, and be a better build quality. Price is supposed to be the same as the BDP-83 ($499). They are working on another higher end "SE" model of the 93 too, but it will be a little while before it's available.

I read about it at a satellite forum: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=184352
I just hate it was Audioholics that did the review.......... :)

Sweet!

I like that they are going to design a 93 SE from the ground up.

In 6-12 months that's on my list!

D

Thanks for the info. I've been looking at players lately. I really like the dual HDMI output.

Wish they could do an upgrade to the 83 for streaming. Love my 83 and not ready to spend $500 on another player but if I could find someone to buy my 83 I might just get it.

I dont think you'll have any problem selling the 83. Especially if you list it before or right after the 93 hits the market.

I had a feeling they would come out with a new and improved version just months after I bought my BDP-83 SE. I think I'm gonna pass on the new SE when it comes out though, mainly because 3D isn't even on my radar and probably won't be anytime soon. Don't need streaming, don't need wireless networking.

soundhound said:
I think I'm gonna pass on the new SE when it comes out though, mainly because 3D isn't even on my radar and probably won't be anytime soon. Don't need streaming, don't need wireless networking.

:text-+1:

This is good news for me, as I'll soon be in the market for an Oppo.

Perhaps there'll be an influx of used 83 SE's then....as I, too, have no interest in streaming.

I would love to have the streaming ability. Wasn't that one of the items Oppo Digital had promised through firmware upgrades for the BDP-83? Sounds as though greed has reared it ugly head once more. :angry-tappingfoot:

Rope

BTW, Oppo will be getting no more of my money. :eek:bscene-buttred:

Rope said:
I would love to have the streaming ability. Wasn't that one of the items Oppo Digital had promised through firmware upgrades for the BDP-83? Sounds as tough greed has reared it ugly head once more. :angry-tappingfoot:

Rope

Why?

jamhead said:
Rope said:
I would love to have the streaming ability. Wasn't that one of the items Oppo Digital had promised through firmware upgrades for the BDP-83? Sounds as tough greed has reared it ugly head once more. :angry-tappingfoot:

Rope

Why?

Netfilx!

Rope

jamhead said:
Can't a 60 dollar Roku do the same thing?

Possibly, however I paid $500.00 for that ability with the Oppo 83, plus, I have no idea where I'd put the Roku.

Rope

Rope said:
jamhead said:
Can't a 60 dollar Roku do the same thing?

Possibly, however I paid $500.00 for that ability with the Oppo 83, plus, I have no idea where I'd put the Roku.

Rope

Valid point.

My plan all along was to go with the SE and get a Roku later for streaming. I still may, as the new Oppo's should drastically reduce the value of the lowly 83's...

Not sure I like the look of the new Oppo's as well.

Rope said:

Rope

Can you point me to where Oppo promised Netflix streaming? All I remember them saying was that the player could be updated via firmware but that no plans to do so would be announced unless and until they secured partnerships with Netflix and various other streaming services.

And what lead you to believe that Oppo wasn't greedy? Do you think that they produce disc players for the sheer satisfaction of it?

10 months! Obsolescence, like the years themselves, keep speeding up...

Rope said:
I would love to have the streaming ability. Wasn't that one of the items Oppo Digital had promised through firmware upgrades for the BDP-83? Sounds as though greed has reared it ugly head once more. :angry-tappingfoot:

Rope

Towen7 said:
Can you point me to where Oppo promised Netflix streaming? All I remember them saying was that the player could be updated via firmware but that no plans to do so would be announced unless and until they secured partnerships with Netflix and various other streaming services.

I don't recall stating Oppo promised Netflix streaming, although they did promise streaming with the current 83 with firmware upgrades. However, I did think Oppo was a cut above the competition when it come to greed, yes, I was wrong.

Rope

Rope said:
I don't recall stating Oppo promised Netflix streaming, although they did promise streaming with the current 83 with firmware upgrades. However, I did think Oppo was a cut above the competition when it come to greed, yes, I was wrong.

Rope
OPPO has delivered network support (DLNA has been working in either public beta or official production code since late last year). They never promised Netflix because they weren't sure the hardware platform would do it. They only said that they would investigate it and do what they could. The reason they didn't go beyond the existing DLNA support is the inability of the hardware (which was developed in late 2008 with no thought to these features) to support Netflix and similar services. If the hardware had been able to support it, they would have done it.

Thanks, gonk! Welcome to the forum, BTW!

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Back