• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Oppo BDP-93 Pre-release Purchase Opportunity

Botch said:
And I wanna know if it plays DVD-A's properly; the -83 does not.

I'll have to get back to you on that too, I only have one DVD-A and your guess is as good as mine as to where it is in my house :eusa-whistle:

Botch said:

My 83 has played every disc I've tossed in the tray, although in the early stages some SACD's didn't play properly, but Oppo remedied all those hicups.

What does your 83 do incorrectly with DVD-A?

Rope

Batman said:
Rope I did finally get it integrated into the rack two nights ago but I haven't done much with it so far. I have watched one BD (In Bruges) with the wife last night but other than set it up to bitstream to the 5507 I haven't done a whole lot in terms of determining which scalers do the best job...I'll hopefully have more time this weekend, it's just been tough lately with the holidays coming up, it seems like there's always something more important to do... :|

Believe me, I know how that goes first hand.

Does the 55 contain the same REON precessor as the 885, or did Onkyo best the video chip set with something superior?

What I have found, and keep in mind my display is 720p, if I have the Oppo scale the video signal to 720p. pass that signal through the 885 to my display, I receive a sharper/cleaner picture than having the Oppo send the signal to the 885 to be scaled.

I'm excited to hear the results you encounter.

Rope

Rope said:
Batman said:
Rope I did finally get it integrated into the rack two nights ago but I haven't done much with it so far. I have watched one BD (In Bruges) with the wife last night but other than set it up to bitstream to the 5507 I haven't done a whole lot in terms of determining which scalers do the best job...I'll hopefully have more time this weekend, it's just been tough lately with the holidays coming up, it seems like there's always something more important to do... :|

Believe me, I know how that goes first hand.

Does the 55 contain the same REON precessor as the 885, or did Onkyo best the video chip set with something superior?

What I have found, and keep in mind my display is 720p, if I have the Oppo scale the video signal to 720p. pass that signal through the 885 to my display, I receive a sharper/cleaner picture than having the Oppo send the signal to the 885 to be scaled.

I'm excited to hear the results you encounter.

Rope
HQV Reon-VX is what they list on the Onkyo Pro site for the 5507...

Rope I went in and switched the resolution setting in the pre/pro to "source" so I will let you know my impressions the next time I pop in a BD, but right now I'm whipped... :eek:bscene-drinkingdrunk:

Batman said:
Rope I went in and switched the resolution setting in the pre/pro to "source" so I will let you know my impressions the next time I pop in a BD, but right now I'm whipped... :eek:bscene-drinkingdrunk:

Pissed, or pooped, or pissed and pooped? :laughing:

I'll be really surprised if the Oppo doesn't out flank the Onkyo in the scaling department, however, that may depend on the native resolution of your projector.

Rope

Rope said:
Botch said:

My 83 has played every disc I've tossed in the tray, although in the early stages some SACD's didn't play properly, but Oppo remedied all those hicups.

What does your 83 do incorrectly with DVD-A?

Rope
My Oppo will play DVD-As, but I can hear the laser head move/search in between tracks (doesn't do this on CDs, SACDs, DVDs or BDs) but what's much worse, it doesn't play the first few milliseconds of each track. For example, on Steely Dan's Babylon Sisters, which starts off with a tom-tom triplet, the first hit isn't there (you can hear the reverb of it, however).
Some of you guys recommended I contact Oppo directly, they asked me to send the offending disk to them. I'd just paid almost $50 for it, so I passed; I have noticed though that I can't find a DVD-A that works properly. I've updated the firmware twice, maybe I should check if there's one more update I don't have. It's frustrating, for the money that thing cost... :handgestures-thumbdown:

Rope said:
Batman said:

Pissed, or pooped, or pissed and pooped? :laughing:

I'll be really surprised if the Oppo doesn't out flank the Onkyo in the scaling department, however, that may depend on the native resolution of your projector.

Rope
My JVC is a 1080p projector so I can definitely make a direct comparison in that regard. I have noticed some very minor issues with the player. And nothing so consistent I can label them bugs. The first time I turned it on, I had to turn it off and then back on again to get the tray to open. Hasn't done that since. I don't think that it loads/boots as fast overall as the 83, but it is WAY faster than the Onkyo it is replacing. It has had issues syncing with the 5507 a couple times also but nothing consistent enough to notice that I need to turn things on in a certain order. I'm not worried though, I haven't read anything that would have me believe that Oppo does not have world-class support and I know they have released FW updates to correct issues with single discs...

If you're playing a 1080p blu-ray to a 1080p projector there should not be any scaling going on anywhere. The true test would be a DVD.

John

The Oppo has a 1080p "Disc Direct" feature, which I assume would mean the video signal is sent directly from the 1080p media direct without any scaling. If there's no enhancement setting on the projector, it should see the incoming 1080p signal and display it as such.

As John mentioned, the acid test will be the upconversion of DVD, 480p to 1080p. Adding the additional lines of resolution, minus visible artifacts, is the true test of an excellent scaler.

Rope

The "Disc Direct" feature is an interesting one because it prompts the question, "Do ALL players have a setting like this?" If not, WTF? Also, "Disc Direct" would apply that no color management is going on, either, which is a very good thing, IMHO.

My goal is to get the original data stream on the disc to the projector, bit for bit. It would be interesting to know which players do/don't do this.

John

I have to delve into the owner's manual for this unit and get a grip on the features that are worthwhile setting up/turning on and which ones are not...It's by far the nicest source component I have ever owned and I definitely want to get the most out of it.

Batman said:
I have to delve into the owner's manual for this unit and get a grip on the features that are worthwhile setting up/turning on and which ones are not...It's by far the nicest source component I have ever owned and I definitely want to get the most out of it.

It'll make ur head hurt, don't do it!

When I have questions not addressed by the owner manual, I've found this site quite helpful, and yes, I realize it's for the 83. When the 93 becomes readily available, I'm certain the author will have a comprable site for it.
:text-link:

Rope

Dear Towen7,

Thank you for your interest in our upcoming OPPO BDP-93 Blu-ray Disc Player. The wait is finally over - the OPPO BDP-93 is now available for sale on our website at http://www.oppodigital.com.

Based and expanded upon our award-winning BDP-83 Blu-ray player, the BDP-93 adds 3D Blu-ray support, internet streaming (Netflix, Blockbuster), Dual-HDMI outputs, eSATA, Wi-Fi, RS-232, and a new video processor with enhanced noise reduction. For more information about the OPPO BDP-93, go to http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

OPPO Digital, Inc
2629 Terminal Blvd. Suite B
Mountain View, CA 94043
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

Towen7 said:
Dear Towen7,

Thank you for your interest in our upcoming OPPO BDP-93 Blu-ray Disc Player. The wait is finally over - the OPPO BDP-93 is now available for sale on our website at http://www.oppodigital.com.

Based and expanded upon our award-winning BDP-83 Blu-ray player, the BDP-93 adds 3D Blu-ray support, internet streaming (Netflix, Blockbuster), Dual-HDMI outputs, eSATA, Wi-Fi, RS-232, and a new video processor with enhanced noise reduction. For more information about the OPPO BDP-93, go to http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

OPPO Digital, Inc
2629 Terminal Blvd. Suite B
Mountain View, CA 94043
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

Does this mean Santa is bringing you a 93? If so, perhaps you could give us a concise review, since Bats has only owned his for such a short period of time. :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

Rope

But wait! Oppo has announced a new BDP-95 model due to be released in February with audio & video upgrades over the BDP-93. Just when you were ready to buy the BDP-93 - no price posted on the 95 model yet, though.

Very nice T7, you're practically a Dynaudio setup away from you and I having nearly identical systems...:D now stop humping my ankle ;)

Batman said:
Very nice T7, you're practically a Dynaudio setup away from you and I having nearly identical systems...:D now stop humping my ankle ;)

I keep trying to give him the smaller and way better version of your mains but he just won't give in.... :eusa-whistle:

In all serisousness, I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on the player. I have enjoyed it immensely so far but have only managed to watch and/or demo BDs. I haven't noticed any night and day differences between this and the Onkyo it's replacing besides that the overall user experience is much better. I plan on watching Tron very soon which will give me my first impressions for it's upscaling abilities. I did receive an email that the player's first FW update has been released. But I'm currently in the process of ordering new faceplates for my rack and reorganizing my wiring. Some of this must wait until after the new year holiday. Rope, please exercise some patience ;)

Back