• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Panasonic BluRay player

bmwuk

So why is it that when I hit stop on my player and then play again it will start the whole thing over again as if I just put the disc in?

Selecting stop without setting a "bookmark" will start the BD from beginning, as you well know. If you'd like to start where you left off, you'll need to set a bookmark with the color keys on your remote. Different animal than DVD.

Rope

I probably should've read the instructions. Lol. So the color buttons produc a popup selection or something?

It is not your player, the way you have it hooked up or you. it is a f'ked up lack of uniformity in the format.

The one problem with BD discs is a lack of uniformity in how bookmarking and such works. Some discs are set up for bookmarking (but you still need to get to the "top menu to select it. Some movies allow you to jump to the top menu while others make you go thru the previews.

And some don't even have the bookmark feature.

More and more movies seem to be coming out with prompts asking if you want to start where you left off.

This is a real problem with BD in my opinion and cannot understand why it is not the same for all BDs regardless of the studio.

Without knowing the model specifically, I'd say it's less a bookmarking issue and more a resume feature issue. He probably doesn't have that enabled. Both of my BD players had that feature, including an original Panasonic.

Check your setup menu settings. I'm certain you'll find the resume feature which with one press of the stop button will allow you to resume where you left off with the next press of the play button. Two stop button presses will wipe out the buffer and start it at the beginning.

Zing said:
I'm certain you'll find the resume feature which with one press of the stop button will allow you to resume where you left off with the next press of the play button. Two stop button presses will wipe out the buffer and start it at the beginning.
That's how my Oppo works.

Botch said:
Zing said:
I'm certain you'll find the resume feature which with one press of the stop button will allow you to resume where you left off with the next press of the play button. Two stop button presses will wipe out the buffer and start it at the beginning.
That's how my Oppo works.

In my experience it works that way with DVD but not with many BDs. On my Oppo 93 I have auto resume set to ON and I can resume DVD's but not with various BDs.

Every studio has a different situation when it comes to BD.

BDs with BD-java will not allow an auto resume.

That's weird! I have 300+ BDs and I've never had such an issue (with either player). That's why I think it's a player firmware thing, not a software thing.

Jeff, I have the BDP-83, and I'm always shutting down BD concerts and resuming them the next night, can't remember one that didn't resume.

Zing said:
That's weird! I have 300+ BDs and I've never had such an issue (with either player). That's why I think it's a player firmware thing, not a software thing.

Botch said:
Jeff, I have the BDP-83, and I'm always shutting down BD concerts and resuming them the next night, can't remember one that didn't resume.

Zing

What brand player? If you have The Avengers on BD play it for say 5 minutes, stop it and see if you can play from where you left off. It will take you to the Top Menu and then give you a prompt asking you if you want to resume but it will not just immediately resume like a DVD does. At least that is my experience.

Botch I would assume those concert BDs do not have BD java. BD discs that do not have BD java will auto resume.

http://wiki.oppodigital.com/index.php?title=BDP-83_Features_FAQ

Yes, as long as BD-Java on the disc doesn't prevent it. According to the manual (Advanced Operations / Memory and Automatic Resume) the player will remember the stopping point of up to five discs when they are ejected or the player is powered off. Blu-ray discs with BD-Java cannot be resumed by the player automatically. You have to use the programming on the disc (if such exists) to set a bookmark or some other saved point. The studios are responsible for disc authoring issues that the player cannot override.

Google "auto resume with Blu ray" and see dozens of entries explaining the situation concerning BD auto resume.

I had always thought it was more laziness on the studios part that not every bd did the auto resume, but if I'm reading this right, it's more of a marketing ploy? That's bullshit!

Why don't you guys just finish the fucking movie!!! :happy-smileygiantred: :eek:bscene-buttred:

I have tons of movies on BD and I would say about half of them will resume where I leave off and the other half start over from the beginning.

I have Sony BDP-S580

D

Zing said:
Check your setup menu settings. I'm certain you'll find the resume feature which with one press of the stop button will allow you to resume where you left off with the next press of the play button. Two stop button presses will wipe out the buffer and start it at the beginning.

This. no need to check out the bookmarks or the colored buttons or anything. if its a decent player, it will just resume after you power it back on.

jomari said:
Zing said:

This. no need to check out the bookmarks or the colored buttons or anything. if its a decent player, it will just resume after you power it back on.
I hate to be the contrarian on this but I have the Oppo 93 which I would consider a decent player. If a BD contains BD-Java it will not resume, no setting I can make will change that.

DVDs and non- BD-Java BDs will resume fine but not the others.

Back