• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Paradigm CC V2 vs CC 450

Playing devil's advocate for a second and putting purist sound quality aside, do you have any logistic and aesthetic concerns? I noticed you mentioned earlier that if you went with a Studio 20, you have to raise the height of your display? Will that be problematic in some fashion? Are there any other placement issues that could arise?

If not, go with the options that makes the most financial sense. Or go with the option that will be most pleasing to the eye (after all, you're going to be staring at it a hours at a time). Or go with the option that sounds best (after all, you're going to be listining to it for hours at a time). Those are really your only three choices.

With my setup, the CC (MTM) will be the better looking, however that is the case in most systems, in fact when I look at photo's of most systems the majority are MTM Centers.

My room is an acoustic nightmare. A wall of windows on the left side and openings for hallways and kitchen, in fact there is only one real corner in the whole room.

The single Studio 20 will be about $100 less or maybe less than the CC (MTM).

The 5.1 will mostly used for watching movies and concerts. I will be using the 2.1 for music listening.

One last question: what's your #1 priority? Sound quality, appearance or convenience (ease of implementation, expense, etc.)?

Sound quality, however that is a very relative thing, right???

If there will be a huge difference in sound between going with the Studio 20 Center vs. the CC, then I would go with what ever would sound best, however if the difference is not so big, I would probably go with the CC.

Just think, someday I mayne in the financial place to have a dedicated home theater, than I can have all the acoustical treatments and make all the RIGHT component decisions, however this is not going to happen in the DEN.

heeman said:
Sound quality, however that is a very relative thing, right???
Relative, schmelative, subjective, schmubjective. It's what YOU deem as good that matters. What if we tell you the Studio 20 is what sounds best and you don't like it?

If you're in a position to try both and make a decision, that would be the best course of action. If not, ask all the questions you can (like you're doing), gather all the info you can (like you're doing) and make the best decision you can. No one's going to take away your birthday because you chose a speaker that someone else wouldn't have.

Zing - That is exactly the point.

What sounds great to you may only sound good to me and/or vise versa.

I have no way to compare both of them in my home, unless I buy both of them, figure out which I like better and try to resell the other. Don't think I want to go down that road.

That being said, since I have no experience with a 5.1 HT Setup either will probably due well.

On another note, I guess setting up the AV Receiver will just be another challenge, when you try to get things right all the time.

Thanks for all of my questions, however here is one more:

WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE?? :angry-banghead:

heeman said:
That being said, since I have no experience with a 5.1 HT Setup either will probably due well.
I agree. I think you'll be happy regardless which one you decide on. And since so many of us are suggesting the Studio 20, I think your decision is all but made.

If you need me to be a bit more clear as to what my opinion is, let's try this...

BUY THE STUDIO 20 AND USE IT VERTICALLY! :handgestures-thumbup:

heeman said:
No Problem.........I just need to sort this out!!!

As usual, I am being accuse from my better half, of "make this more of a big deal than it needs to be" She says "Do you think WE will really notice the difference if you buy the CC or the Studio 20 for the center?"

Help me out here guys (I have to admit it, but she is probably right, I do this will all major purchases and projects), but they usually turn out just right! :music-rockout:

I'm going to throw a monkey wrench in all this and suggest maybe just going with a phantom center (ie: no center speaker at all) for your setup. If aesthetics are a big concern (or a very close second), then I would just not bother getting a center speaker. A few reason why:

1) It costs nothing since you are not making a purchase
2) It will sound better than a traditional center speaker since they're no lobing issues to deal with (as long as you sit in the sweet spot)
3) it will be more pleasing to the WAF, since she won't see another speaker in the room
4) more than likely, your wife won't know the difference between running "no center" to having a center speaker.

Don't get me wrong, I do think identical speakers across the front are the best bet, but if you're going to be the only one sitting in the sweet spot, running a phantom center may be your best bet and will still be a better option compared to a traditional center speaker.

If you already have Studio 20s for the surrounds, you can see for yourself by putting the receiver in 3 channel mode and switching between normal and phantom mode for the center channel. You can also orient the Studio 20 vertically or horizontally to see if you notice a difference too.

Yesfan70 said:
but if you're going to be the only one sitting in the sweet spot, running a phantom center may be your best bet and will still be a better option compared to a traditional center speaker.
That's the rub for me. You've got to be extremely close to the centerline for that to work well. I've gone down this road myself and found off axis listening in a phantom setup is far worse than lobing.

Zing said:
Yesfan70 said:
but if you're going to be the only one sitting in the sweet spot, running a phantom center may be your best bet and will still be a better option compared to a traditional center speaker.
That's the rub for me. You've got to be extremely close to the centerline for that to work well. I've gone down this road myself and found off axis listening in a phantom setup is far worse than lobing.

Exactly and that's the trade off. I think Heeman's situation may be different and that was why I also suggest he experiment with one of his surrounds as a center before making the leap (I'm assuming he already has one pair of Studio 20s for his surround speakers).

The notion I get from his posts is he does a LOT of 2.1 listening and (very little) 5.1 is just for the occasional movie for him and his wife. If his wife is like the rest of our wives, then doing without a center speaker may be his best option. I would still experiment first before commiting to going with/without a center speaker.

On a side note, if he does find he likes a center speaker better, I also vote for the Studio 20.

Here is my wrench................we have decided to use a center speaker and it will be either a Studio 20 or the CC V2 or CC 450.

You guys have been a great help and I appreciate it!!! :handgestures-thumbup:

I don't have the Studio 20's yet, but maybe soon.

Forgot to tell you that my wife is cool and more supportive for the 5.1 system then the new Plasma, since ours is still working.

You rock Barbara!! :angelic-green:

Cool. Since you're going with a center speaker I agree with the others about using a Studio 20 for the center speaker. Going from your previous posts it's cheaper, plus the 20 will be a better match for your 60s.

I believed they're boxed and sold as pairs but I've seen singles available on Audiogon numerous times.

Orbison said:
Can Studio 20's be purchased individually (for use as a center spkr) or only in pairs?

I was at a Paradigm Reference Dealer on Monday in Corpus Christi Texas and he quoted me New Sudio 20's for $749 each. I am 99% positive that you can by them seperately.

After looking at our situation in our Den and various system pictures on the net...........

And looking at moving the Plasma up on the wall and additional 15" or so........

We decided to go with the CC V2. It may not be the best solution sound quality wise, however it is matched well to my Studio 60's.

Next purchase will be the Studio 20's for the Rears. Will most likely buy the Onkyo this weekend!!! :happy-smileygiantred:

It's a good thing the economy is bad? :banana-rock: :banana-dance:

Back