• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Parasound 2125 Amplifer

topper

2125_front_792.jpg

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAC2125

Any thoughts, comments, opinions on this new Parasound 2125
125 watt 2 channel amp . . . .

(msrp around $775)

Rope said:
Rather than settle for their classic series, consider a used A23 Halo.

Halo A23

Rope
I anticipated this response when I posted. , , :music-listening:

I've bought from that seller before on e-Bay . . . but can't remember just what.
I'd have to look it up. He's on my 'favorite sellers list'

jamhead said:
What are you thinking of using it for Topper?
In maybe a year or so replacing my Adcom 200 watt 2 ch. that powers my mains
(Klipsch RF 7s)

Just kicking around possibilities right now . . . . In no hurry to make a change

For your Klipsch's, I would look at something with a lower noise floor. That amp is good, but I think better can be had for less money.

I believe you'll need something that can also handle lower impedences as well. If I recall, your RF7's swing fairly wildly...dipping to 2 or 3 ohms, although they are very sensitive.

Well, I typed a long response a second ago but when I hit submit, I had to Log in and my message was gone.

So, my condensed message is as follows:

I looked at amps a couple years ago and researched many engineering papers to learn about designs and their benefits/drawbacks. I wanted to know all I could about amps as I found them to be "mystical" in that people would exclaim how different they sound but couldn't explain why. So, although my speakers are far different than yours, I was looking at the following amps due to their ability to handle lower impedences AND having a very low noise floor. (among having several other attributes that are required).

Parasound Halo: A23
B&K Reference 125.2: Stable and low impedences and very quiet
Parasound HCA series: According to Parasound, this is "slightly" less than their Halo line. I like their 1000a.
Anthem MCA series: Same amp as their Statement A2, according to Anthem, except not a fancy faceplate. Again, stable down to 2 ohms and low noise floor.
My personal favorite: ATI. They aren't well liked by some here, but I find that mine has easily driven my 86db / 4ohm speakers without issue to loud volumes. Low noise floor (silent, actually) and stable down to very low impedences.

Those were my choices at the time.

jamhead said:
Well, I typed a long response a second ago but when I hit submit, I had to Log in and my message was gone.

So, my condensed message is as follows:

I looked at amps a couple years ago and researched many engineering papers to learn about designs and their benefits/drawbacks. I wanted to know all I could about amps as I found them to be "mystical" in that people would exclaim how different they sound but couldn't explain why. So, although my speakers are far different than yours, I was looking at the following amps due to their ability to handle lower impedences AND having a very low noise floor. (among having several other attributes that are required).

Parasound Halo: A23
B&K Reference 125.2: Stable and low impedences and very quiet
Parasound HCA series: According to Parasound, this is "slightly" less than their Halo line. I like their 1000a.
Anthem MCA series: Same amp as their Statement A2, according to Anthem, except not a fancy faceplate. Again, stable down to 2 ohms and low noise floor.
My personal favorite: ATI. They aren't well liked by some here, but I find that mine has easily driven my 86db / 4ohm speakers without issue to loud volumes. Low noise floor (silent, actually) and stable down to very low impedences.

Those were my choices at the time.

I have been using my B&K Reference 125.2 for about 5 years now and have had zero problems and enjoy the way they drive my Studio 60's.

I recently bought a Parasound HCA-1000A, have not really used it yet, but will soon with my Studio 20's. I will report how I like it once I start to use it.

Sorry to Highjack this thread.....

B&K Components was aquired by ATI about this time last year. I see that they have plans to continue the product, however have not seen evidence of this.

Decent deals can be had on their amps on Audiogon and Ebay for about half the orgional selling price new.

My buddy Ben (aka: 4rings4life) has a B&K outfit on his 2 channel rig. Heeman is right about the deals on them. I think he got his off the Gon. Both a preamp and power amp for maybe less than $500.

That, along with his Vifas, is one hell of a setup for what he has in it.

I bought my B&K Reference 125.2 for $800 new in 2007.

I recently bought the B&K ST 3140 (a 3 channel amp) to power my rears and center for $300 that sold for $900 new. It was in mint condition with the origional box.

There are some great deals out there.

I paid $325 for the Parasound HCA-1000A on ebay last Feburary. I think this amp sold for about $700 new.

:text-threadjacked:

heeman said:
Sorry to Highjack this thread.....

B&K Components was aquired by ATI about this time last year. I see that they have plans to continue the product, however have not seen evidence of this.

Decent deals can be had on their amps on Audiogon and Ebay for about half the orgional selling price new.

ATI manufactures amps for many "name brand" companies and has purchased some companies as well. They have purchased Theta as well.

Here's a previous link on the topic:

http://www.theaudioannex.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1207

Dollar per watt, you won't find a better amp, and ATI's are built like brick shit houses.

Rope

Back