• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Parasound Halo P5

Razz

I have been thinking about getting a 2 channel pre-amp for direct listening instead of using my Onkyo 886.
I want to squeeze a bit more out of my 2 channel listening without dropping thousands of dollars. I also wanted something stream-lined that has it all and no need to buy a separate out board DAC and bass management.

Last year, Parasound came out with a replacement in the Halo line.. The P5.

http://www.parasound.com/p5.php

They have added an on board DAC and bass management! And some other nice stuff too.
This really seams to be just what I'm looking for. Reviews are top notch so far too. And best part is.. it all comes in at $950!!! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

So.... do you guy think I'll hear an improvement over just using "direct" from my Onkyo 886?
Thoughts?
Suggestions?
Alternatives?

no... I'm not going to further treat my room! :teasing-neener:

giphy.gif

Hard to say... looks pretty slick though. With most things audio, the real test is "try it and find out!"

Yeah, the P5 is a nice piece and reasonable priced. And you'll get Flint's seal of approval since he loves Parasound :D
Just do it.

Geez, not only does Razz re-appear after a lengthy sojourn elsewhere, but he buys his way back in by asking us to help him spend a grand of his cash!

I love this place!

Jeff

This may sound like a stupid question but how do you connect two pre's (one for 2 channel music and the other for surround sound movies) to one pair of speakers? Is there a bypass function that just passes one through the other when it's off?

Never mind ... I looked it up and it work as I assumed it must.

Towen7 said:
This may sound like a stupid question but how do you connect two pre's (one for 2 channel music and the other for surround sound movies) to one pair of speakers? Is there a bypass function that just passes one through the other when it's off?

Home theater bypass input for surround sound integration

If you have a CD player with multiple (simultaneous) outputs (I think Oppo does this?), then you could instantly do A/B switching between your 886 and the parasound, which would be cool. Just remember the voltage/volume matching issue.

Some good questions asked.

Maybe this one's a dumb one, but...

Why not just use the Zone 2 output on the 886?

I use it within my main HT to form a separate stereo / 2.1 system - when I don't want to fire up the whole works.

Jeff

Good stuff guys..

I'm starting to reevaluate all this... and am starting to want a few more things in my whole system.. such as internet steaming, specifically, the ability to steam hi resolution files. This set up will leave me lacking.

Sorry guys.. I spent like 4 hours looking into this last night and started realizing how my system is a bit behind the times... even though for what it does sounds fantastic (but maybe room for improvement is my whole point here)

I'm starting to lean into the Marantz Pre/pro 8802. Apparently it's leaps and bounds above the already highly acclaimed 8801. And it might even increase my 2.1 channel listening. At least that's what some of the reviewers seem to think. Still weighing options here..

No real need.... just a desire.

love the input! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

The new Marantz pre pro is out? I was thinking it will be out in the next couple months along with the rest of the receiver's (5010,6010, etc)

Yeah Barney,

And it is getting some serious stellar reviews. People at AVS were comparing it too far more expensive pre-amps.. and the Marantz was coming out on top. They made some big advancements in this one.

That 8802 has an upgrade for HDCP2.2. So make sure to get the 8802A (prepro with the upgrade). That unit has been out since Q4 2014, right ?

I think it was supposed to be released late Q1 this year. I'd love to try that thing out. I've been dying to upgrade to an 11.1 Atmos setup in the old HT.

What kind of speakers would you buy for the Atmos channels...outdoor speakers? :violence-torch:

Only If I were setting up an Atmos system outside because ... what kind of fool would ever, ever, ever dream of using a speaker for anything than it's designed purpose?!?!

I'd look for a speaker that specifies indoor use, as an overhead speaker, with an Adcom GFA 555 amplifier, in rooms around 4,000 cubic ft with wood wainscoting and tan walls.

Back