• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Patience? Online Videos with intro-Advertising

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
Does anyone here find it impossible to sit through the advertisements they force us to watch at the beginning of certain online videos?

I get most of my news from online news sites, and most are moving to showing videos rather than writing out the whole story (I'd prefer to read the story as it fits into my concentrate only when I wanna attitude). Most of those videos start with a 10 second to 20 second advertisement, often the same one over and over and over if you are watching several videos on the same new site. I've reached the point that I just navigate away from the website when those ads start. I realize they have to make money if they are going to give away content for free, but I just cannot take it anymore.

When I am on YouTube and a forced ad pops up, I go somewhere else. Nothing is so important to me that I am willing to sit through ads.

I am getting lazy, bored, or so overstimulated that even a 5 second break from been spoon fed what I asked for is too much.

Yes. Yes! YES! I can't stand it! I'll tolerate a 15 second ad and that's it. If it's more than 15 seconds, I immediately click on another news site with the hopes that some cookie will essentially say "This guy didn't like waiting for your ad so he went to a competitor's site".

:angry-cussingblack:

I hate when I click on a story and it's a video, I won't watch as usually there is music on or something and I don't want to turn it off. I would rather there just be a print version of the story.

I've read a study that static ads in the sidebars have NO effect on viewers, that's why sites are going to "you gotta sit thru this first" video ads.
With live disk recording, allow one to skip commercials, I can easily foresee a time when commercials go to "scrolling banners" on the bottom, or top, or sides of program material. I hope I'm wrong.

If the videoclip that I want to watch is just a short one (maybe a minute or less), and if I find a fairly long commercial at the beginning that I have to watch, I'll often just give up and go somewhere else. I understand they need to make money, and I don't mind a quick "sponsored by XXXXX", but no way will I sit through a commercial that's just as long as the video I want to surf.

If you're not willing to sit through an ad, are you willing to pay for the content?

Short ads don't other me because I realize that it has to be paid for somehow.

Towen7 said:
If you're not willing to sit through an ad, are you willing to pay for the content?

Good point.
I do remember when I first paid for cable, and I watched the Bangles over and over on MTV, and there were no commercials. Not long after, I was paying to watch commercials. hmmm

I too have a problem with paying for content AND having to watch commercials. It's one of the reasons that I don't have cable TV anymore.

Towen7 said:
I too have a problem with paying for content AND having to watch commercials.

And that's exactly why I canceled my hulu+ trial subscription. At least with cable tv, I can record it and skip over commercials (mostly automatically with Beyond TV). But my regular TV watching is almost down to zero now, only occasional Simpsons or NCIS, that I could probably get off the internet anyway.

I'd rather read the content and the ad be on the side, there is no need for it to be a video. That coming from me says a lot as I'm not much of a reader.

Towen7 said:

:text-+1:

C'mon guys would you expect anything different especially with "free" material? It's just the typical business model.

Hell you have to sit thru commercials when you pay $12 for a movie theater ticket, why should free material on the interwebs be any different.

What if the website had he ability to process micro-transactions angave you the option of watching the video ad free for a nickel, or free with a single 20 second ad?

By the time that type of transaction were completed, you could likely have watched the ad and the video, I'll keep my nickel... :happy-smileygiantred:

You're catching on...

But what if the transaction were instant? The question is really about determining if 20 seconds of your time is more valuable than a nickel, or if the content is.

If there were an option to view commercial free TV/video for a flat monthly fee, say $40.00 - $50.00, I wouldn't hesitate for a second. Riding myself from exposure to all the crap marketer's bombard us with daily would be well worth the money spent.

I haven't purchased a new Blu-ray movie for more than six months because of the shit I'm force fed before I can view the main feature, which is what I paid $20.00 for in the first place.

Rope

what surprises me is we aren't seeing commercials on streaming video from NF or Amazon.

It's on BD and DVD's so it is only a matter of time before we see it on streaming content.

And though I don't like it - it is capitalism in action.

Back