• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Pioneer receivers with Bluetooth

-B-

So I'm checking out these Pioneer receivers wit the Bluetooth connection and iStuff app to control them. I'm thinking this is a great upgrade for my bedroom as I have been looking to add a receiver with HDMI switching and an iPod dock as I got an 8gb touch for $100 (brand new) specifiacally for the bedroom as most of my music listening in there is Pandora. The itouch was much cheaper than adding another squeezebox.

The extra bonus is I have a few Samsung Focus windows phones floating around the house plus an iPhone and iPad. Should make for a perfect setup assuming this Bluetooth business works. Anyone have any experience with it? Reviews are mixed, but some people can't hook up a 2ch stereo.

-B- said:
....Should make for a perfect setup assuming this Bluetooth business works. Anyone have any experience with it? Reviews are mixed, but some people can't hook up a 2ch stereo.

What is it you're ultimately trying to do? Are you asking about Bluetooth in general, or the Pioneer's Bluetooth performance?

Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if the Bluetooth receivers are anything like their car stereo counterparts, you won't be able to connect or pair more than one device to it at one time. I don't think I can with my Kenwood headunit in my car, nor am I able to connect to more than one device at once with my phone. I can switch between devices, but I don't think I can connect to all of them at once.

I'm assuming you're thinking of doing some sort of whole house audio with all the other phones, iPod, and iPad. I have a feeling that won't work. That's what I like about the Squeezeboxes. They can run independent of each other, or you can synchronize them for whole house audio if you have enough of them installed.

The performance of the Pioneer gear. I got a sweet buy on the receiver and Bluetooth dongle using web prices. I got $400 worth of gear for $280 at Best Buy, which allowed me to step up one notch in the Pioneer receiver line, I got the VSX- 820-K instead of my original intention to get the 520. I'll report tomorrow how well it works. Basically I'm looking to use my itouch for Pandora for music in my room, which is what I use the Squeezebox for 90% of the time. Moving the Squeezebox to the main system will make it more useful. I got a steal on the itouch btw.. $100 for a brand new 8gb. Perfect for night time and casual bedroom tunes. I'll also be able to use my iPhone, iPad and the 2 Samsung Focus Win7 phones if so desired for the same purpose.....assuming it does what its supposed to.

This receiver will be running a pair of Paradigm Atoms and switching between my HDMI components to use said speakers for TV and PS3 sound. The Bluetooth dongle will allow me to keep the iTouch bedside instead of another remote with a dock. Also, I'll be able to download an app that can control my receiver with any of my i devices.

I think the Pioneer should be more than adequate for that. I don't know if you can run more than one device at once with it. Personally, I would like to know if you can or can't.

Since we're talking about Bluetooth, is there anyway a smart phone can "see" a PS3 when scanning for Bluetooth devices? I'm assuming the controller and PS3 remote are Bluetooth based. The reason why I'm wondering, Is there have been a few times while at a friend's house I was wanting the to hear something new, but it was only on my phone. I was hoping to see if his PS3 would pair with my EVO and stream my music from it to his system. Every time I tried to scan for it, the PS3 wouldn't show up.

Yesfan70 said:
I think the Pioneer should be more than adequate for that. I don't know if you can run more than one device at once with it. Personally, I would like to know if you can or can't.

Since we're talking about Bluetooth, is there anyway a smart phone can "see" a PS3 when scanning for Bluetooth devices? I'm assuming the controller and PS3 remote are Bluetooth based. The reason why I'm wondering, Is there have been a few times while at a friend's house I was wanting the to hear something new, but it was only on my phone. I was hoping to see if his PS3 would pair with my EVO and stream my music from it to his system. Every time I tried to scan for it, the PS3 wouldn't show up.

Like any Bluetooth device, you can have many. There can only be one at a time used for obvious reasons though.

Works like a charm. Only downside is the need to sync after every power cycle or input change. Haven't tested the range yet but so far it's been going great for a few hours steady on Pandora. This is a very cool and convenient setup for my bedroom!

Back