• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Place my subwoofer?

… you call yourself an audio nerd, join a forum of folk specifically to discuss audio, and then tell us your wife calls all the shots? You're like the guy who joins the Corvette club but drives a Miata.

But seriously.... Your drop ceiling is already a bass trap. You can vastly enhance its performance by rolling out layers of fiberglass batting above the tiles and replacing all of the ones along the edges of the ceiling with different tiles which are not solid. That would be an amazing bass trap.

Then make a real effort on speaker placement and listening positioning. Get away from the walls and ensure everything is symmetrical between left and right.

The rest, like absorption panels for early reflections and diffusors for slap echo are icing on top of that cake.

… you call yourself an audio nerd, join a forum of folk specifically to discuss audio, and then tell us your wife calls all the shots? You're like the guy who joins the Corvette club but drives a Miata.

But seriously.... Your drop ceiling is already a bass trap. You can vastly enhance its performance by rolling out layers of fiberglass batting above the tiles and replacing all of the ones along the edges of the ceiling with different tiles which are not solid. That would be an amazing bass trap.

Then make a real effort on speaker placement and listening positioning. Get away from the walls and ensure everything is symmetrical between left and right.

The rest, like absorption panels for early reflections and diffusors for slap echo are icing on top of that cake.
I joined the Miata club...and some people seem to drive Corvettes and some Ferrari's...

Any specific R value (or above a certain R value) for the fiberglass? Is there a minimum area to cover? I'd probably be buying a pack or two and put them in over the course of time.

Regarding not solid tiles...meaning thin PVC type ones similar to this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Genesis-Drifts-2-ft-x-2-ft-Lay-In-Ceiling-Panel-751-00/203397620

I joined the Miata club...and some people seem to drive Corvettes and some Ferrari's...

Any specific R value (or above a certain R value) for the fiberglass? Is there a minimum area to cover? I'd probably be buying a pack or two and put them in over the course of time.

Regarding not solid tiles...meaning thin PVC type ones similar to this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Genesis-Drifts-2-ft-x-2-ft-Lay-In-Ceiling-Panel-751-00/203397620

Just plane ol' fiberglass batting, save money, but the more you use the better. Position it in the corners first, as high as it can go, then move away from the corners as you use up the fiberglass.

I am on my phone, so I cannot really see the sample tiles you linked to.

But, you want a tiles that are light, thin, open and/or not acoustically reflective. Bass should pass right through the tile. Heck, just a sheet of Kraft paper would be great. I think Heeman used fabric of some kind.

You owe me half a scotch and an entire roll of paper towels. And possibly a new laptop. I'll let you know about the latter tomorrow when it comes out of the bag of rice and works normally.

You owe me half a scotch and an entire roll of paper towels. And possibly a new laptop. I'll let you know about the latter tomorrow when it comes out of the bag of rice and works normally.

No, you owe me $12.95 per month for subscription to my entertainment.

Back