• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Plasma Project

constantly hear about the concerns with heat but almost always see TV's mounted over the fireplace, lol.

I never understood the concern over heat with a plasma over a fireplace. It's not as if we're talking about temps in the high triple digits.

Batman said:
I never understood the concern over heat with a plasma over a fireplace. It's not as if we're talking about temps in the high triple digits.

Heat is the biggest threat to any electronics and adding more heat to the heat already generated by the device makes for a shorter life. Smoke and ash compounds the problem with mounting flat panels on fireplaces.

Rope

^ yeah okay....but it's really not direct heat in a confined area. Nor, I don't believe, are the surrounding temps created by a fireplace exceeding the internal operating temps. At least I've never heard of a tv failing for this reason. I'd give a bit more credence to the concern over a wood burning FP I guess, and definitely more concern to the smoke and ash I suppose. But still not enough to take a fireplace install out of consideration if that's where I wanted it. I'd be more apt to take viewing angle/distance into consideration before heat. Of course every single install I've performed or viewed was over a gas FP so perhaps that is why I don't have much concern over this...

Viewing angle/ distance is definitely my biggest concern since I don't use the fireplace anyway. The display is definitely higher than I would like for it to be. The bottom of the display is 56" off the ground but I sit 16' back so its not horrible.

Dangit Rope, why didn't you tell me that sooner???

Serioulsy though I was painfully aware of all of that and tried to take that al into consideration, but my room didn't leave me many options, so I am stuck with it now. LOL

Randy said:
Viewing angle/ distance is definitely my biggest concern since I don't use the fireplace anyway. The display is definitely higher than I would like for it to be. The bottom of the display is 56" off the ground but I sit 16' back so its not horrible.
:text-link:

Not trying to be combative or bust balls, but if you want a fireplace mount and display life is not a concern, or broken neck ,have at it.

Rope

Wont be getting the couch, just commented on the fully reclining feature.

Display life??? Why is display life an issue? I don't use the fireplace and have no intention of using it.

Randy said:
Wont be getting the couch, just commented on the fully reclining feature.

Display life??? Why is display life an issue? I don't use the fireplace and have no intention of using it.

Comment was not directed at your mount. If you remember correctly, the first question I asked in this thread was whether you ever used the Fp.

Rope

Well the FedEx man brought me the new addition to the project. I should get it hooked up and running tomorrow.

Excellent. I love the look of these things. Not that looks matter much... :laughing:

Ya, it looks great just don't work. Check the New Receiver thread for how this exchange goes. I'm not all together pleased and I really miss brick and mortar stores. Fuvk the internet...

So I guess it is finally complete. Or near enough to call complete. I got all the bugs worked out and everything is working. I am going to add a blu ray player sometime in the future, but for now it is good.

I got the ARC issue figured out and changed the HDMI on the display to HDMI 2. Apparently Panny only does ARC over HDMI 2. BOO

I got itall calibrated, ran Audyssey through the Marantz and then went back in and did some tweaking. The surrounds were super hot after Audyssey, but now they are spot on.

I am very happy for now.

Geez, you gotta be breathing a sigh of relief after all this.

Blow off your homework, kick back, open a cold one and call it a job well done...with an emphasis on done.

:eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Back