• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Playstation 3 Q&A

Just the paid subscription Hulu+ plan, though. (I think it's under media downloads in the PSN store.) Free Hulu doesn't work on the PS3, unfortunately. Not unless you've bought PlayOn to stream it from your computer to the PS3, that is.

Go to the playstation network store and search for hulu, there's a (free) download in there.

PaulyT said:
Go to the playstation network store and search for hulu, there's a (free) download in there.

All I saw was Hulu+. Is it worth paying for? I've found quite a few shows, though older shows, on Netflix but I have no problem giving Hulu+ a try if it has new current shows. Seems the only thing I'll hate about Hulu+ is no CBS shows (was going to try to catch up on Big Bang Theory).

Ah, sorry, misunderstood. I don't know if there's a way to get free stuff from hulu. I tried Hulu+ for a while, but like you was annoyed at lack of CBS, plus there's just too many damn commercials. I'm paying for content already, why make me sit through all that? So I canceled it. But I watch very little TV anyway.

I'm living without cable or sat and have been using Hulu+ (and Netflix). I don't mind the ads so much as the lack of content. I'm canceling.

Towen7 said:
I'm living without cable or sat and have been using Hulu+ (and Netflix). I don't mind the ads so much as the lack of content. I'm canceling.

You're canceling Hulu? That's one thing I like about Netflix is the lack of commercials. If Hulu has them, I'll pass.

The commercials are much shorter than they are for broadcasts and they don't bother me. But yeah, I canceled. I just don't watch it enough. They don't carry some of my favorite shows and not all new episodes are available to be watched on a TV. Some stuff is computer only, some stuff is TV only, some stuff is mobile only, some are combinations...

Give me CBS and some decent cable channels and make everything available on the TV and I'll suffer the commercials. Until then I'm done with Hulu+.

If you have a decent PC with a minimum of a dual-core processor and 4GB memory, you can get regular Hulu on your PS3 via a DLNA server called PlayOn. PlayOn is not free, nor is it particularly cheap, but it does provide access to a lot of web-based video content via the PS3 and other devices. The biggest problem with it is that it is CPU intensive on the PC. PlayOn runs a browser in the background that captures Flash video. It then transcodes that video on the fly to a format your PS3 can use. That transcoding requires a fair amount of CPU and PlayOn can not currently handle HD. Everything you get will be 480p.

Guys I've noticed in the past month, that whenever I turn on my PS3 and hit my Netflix icon, it tells me that that the PS3 media server is under construction and asks me for my logon and password, when it's already on there. So I click enter screen turns black for a second then pops back on and there is my Netflix channels. This has never happened before but it does it all the time now every time I log on. More of an annoyance then anything else. Are any of you guys getting this message?

It does this when it can't get onto PSN. (though why it needs PSN for netflix is a mystery...) You probably need a system software update before you get get onto PSN again; that's what I had to do to get rid of that message when using netflix.

Thanks Pauly. I thought I had my system setup to stream any updates, but I guess that's not working. So I'll check out PSN and download to a usb chip and upload to the ps3.

Not sure if you can do that with a system update... you should be able to download the update via wireless though, just go to the update command in the system menu.

Yeah you can. I did it all the time before I got wifi installed in my house. I'd just download the update and then plug the usb into the front port of the PS3 and the PS3 would look for the update and then download it. But I'll try it your way first.

Fuckin PS3 Network. So I updated my system and all went fine, then it asks me to change my password as mine (and I guess alot f users) has done. So it sends me an email link to update and I click the link and it tells me that the PS3 serevr is down and to try again later (only the link is good for 24 hours. So I call PSN and the rep tells me that for the past three days the server has been down and they don't know when it will come back on. I tell them it's been down a month and they tell me in some areas that is true. Son of a bitch.

That sucks. I was able to update my PSN password and log in a few days ago...

Are you unable to change the password via the PS3? I've read where there were problems with password resets, but I for some reason thought that was limited to those who wanted to change passwords via a computer???

PSN was hacked a month ago and they are making dramatic changes to it to prevent future security issues. You should be angry at effing hackers, not Sony and their network. it is darn near impossible to make an easy to use network with all the expansive capabilities as PSN or Xbox live and not have some security holes. Someone discovered the PSN holes and went apeshit all over them.

I understand Flint, but in the meantime, PSN isnt paying me 8.00/month for my inability to log onto Netflix because the PS3 isnt able to connect with netflix without being able to logon.

Back