• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

PS3 outsells Xbox360 in lifetime sales

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
You long time members of this little clique may remember my relentless posting about the sheer superiority of the PS3 system over the Xbox360 back when they were being launched. I pointed out that the performance and technology that went into the PS3 was vastly higher end than the Xbox360 and that it would prove to be the winner.

Well... now the data is out that to date, the PS3 has sold 1M more units worldwide than the Xbox360. Keep in mind, this data doesn't care that the Xbox 360 was launched a year before the PS3. So, if you average the units sold per year on the market, the PS3 is way ahead of the Xbox360.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/01/14 ... bal-sales/

So, how's them apples?

But seriously, I am already seeing rumors about the next generation models and the PS4 looks, once again, to be far more innovative and advanced than the Xbox720.

Winner?

That implies that MS "lost" despite selling close to 80 million units. That would sound silly unless the reports that MS has spent $10 billion on Xbox are true. How many of those units were to the same buyer? I myself have purchased three Xbox machines (after one had the red ring of death).

Still. These gaming systems are more about the platform than the gaming hardware specs. I owned both Xbox and PS3 and decided that the Xbox platform of online services and integration with Windows Media Center was better for me. I have no reason to believe that Sony's platform will be better for me than the next Xbox regardless of the hardware specs.

It isn't really about the hardware. The power of the new Xbox is the fact that it is built on Windows 8 and will have a very robust Media Center-based full-house CableCARD DVR inside. If the PS4 doesn't have that capability, the Xbox wins.

What are the sale numbers in North America, the market that matters the most?
30 million units sold in NA is better than 50 million units sold in the rest of the world. Some poor Asian or African kid can only buy one or two games a year, while a kid in NA probably plays 10-15 games a year.

McDonalds sells the most hamburgers, that don't make em good.. lol.

I still prefer the xbox for gaming, hands down.

The PS3 is a better audio/video/data streaming solution.

D

:angry-cussingblack:
Doghart said:

D

That's interesting because I box my xboxes based on their ability to connect to media center on my HTPC. If PS3 could do that, I would have gone with those for a one box solution.

Does PS3 charge for access to things like pandora and netflix? Bc M$ does.

I only use my Xbox for games.

I had both but had more Xbox games so I sold my PS3 last Christmas.

Maximo said:
Doghart said:

D

That's interesting because I box my xboxes based on their ability to connect to media center on my HTPC. If PS3 could do that, I would have gone with those for a one box solution.

You know what, you're right. I thought I was streaming stuff through my PS3, but i actually was ripping media to it...

I use my xbox to stream from my media center PC... so confused.... :p

D

Maximo said:
There is no Pandora app on PS3 but you can use the PS3 web browser to listen to Pandora. Sony doesn't charge for the online service.

You have to pay for xbox Live to get the apps to work. It costs $50 a year but you can find it on sale for $35 pretty often.

PlayStation does have a free service. But to get access to the whole options, its $5 a month (about the same as XBOX Gold).

I don't understand the point of this thread. The Wii, whose hardware is inferior to either console, sold way more units than either one of them. I would also hazard a guess that the PS3 sold alot of units mainly for the bluray player, which at the time was one of the best and one of the cheapest. People are going to buy the console they feel comfortable with.

Maximo said:
Doghart said:

D

The PS3 is fully DLNA compliant and works with most media server software for streaming music, photos and videos from your PC.

The point is that Flint was right when he declared that the PS3 had superior hardware. We can talk about how the Xbox works better for us, for whatever reason, but the point remains. The PS3 has better specs and has now sold more units in less time than Xbox.

You actually can stream both live and recorded TV to a PS3. Sometime in the near future, I plan to switch to Comcast and get a Silicon Dust HD Homerun Prime network attached CABLECard tuner. The PS3 is one of the only devices on the market certified by CableLabs to act as a client. I am going to use the Windows Media Center on my PC to record content and push it to my network with Plex. I'll be able to use the PS3 to watch live programming or to watch the recorded shows I push with DLNA via Plex. This is assuming that I'm dealing with Copy Freely material, of course.

Towen7 said:
The point is that Flint was right when he declared that the PS3 had superior hardware. We can talk about how the Xbox works better for us, for whatever reason, but the point remains. The PS3 has better specs and has now sold more units in less time than Xbox.

...But why bring it up when the wii clearly sold more units? From what I remember as well, wii were being sold for a profit, while both companies were losing money on their consoles. Isn't that the goal of business, to make the most money? Or is someone just trying to take a dig at Microsoft?

I love you guys!

The goal is to see what the conversation about the two consoles is today. There was once a huge console war and people got very passionate about which was going to win. Rarely did that conversation get to which was preferred by the individual making an argument (not a fight - an argument). Now that we can look back on historically, the facts are that the PS3 really did win the console war in every aspect. I wanted to see what the sentiment was among this audience about that.

Now I have answers.

And the Wii was never a direct competitor to either, so that is a silly comparison which has little to do with the old format war.

I guess I can sum it up like that.

I see so many people only considering today, right now, immediate opinions, when looking at technology or taking stances which are only important on the multi-year timeframe. During the console format war (and the BluRay / HD-DVD format war) most emotionally invested folk were caught up in that mind set. They were not considering anything other than the immediate opinion they formed shortly after looking at the options.

Now we have a chance to look back and learn from that experience and hopefully form opinions differently in the future. After making arguments on this issue, sometimes showing incredible emotion about it, shouldn't we look back and see what the outcome was? Whether our opinions at the introduction of the products were right?

I will admit that I was 100% wrong about the success of the iPhone. I have studied that phenomena to death - how was I so wrong? What were my expectations or considerations which led me to be so wrong? Maybe next time I can better predict what the outcome will be when a revolutionary new product launches. But this is my job. I am a technologist with a responsibility to predict which new techs we need to pay attention to before they become huge winners or massive failures. If I want to get better at this, I have to study it over and over.

Why did SACD beat DVD-A? Why did HDMI win? What's the deal with LTE? CDMA? etc. Is a tablet going to your personal computer completely in the next year, two years, five years? When will broadband plans be affordable enough that we are always connected to the internet with effectively unlimited data usage? When will spinning hard drives become obsolete?

Fun!

How do you figure that the wii doesn't fit in there? I agree, for serious gaming, the other two are far superior, but it is still a game console. It sold more units than the other two, at a profit, and Nintendo got it right, it was fun to play. I don't remember anybody here saying their console was better than anybody else's console, so if there is a format war here, you brought it.

I'm not sure in the game console arena there's a clear cut "winner" either way. Okay sure in regards to hardware specs and total unit sales, perhaps one could conclude there was a "winner." But it's fairly well known (at least last I heard) that both Sony and MS take a loss on every console sold expecting to make that loss back and then a whole lot more on games, accessories, licensing, etc. So someone won in regards to total profitability also (although I couldn't say who.) I don't think either company is putting the other out of the gaming business in the foreseeable future anyway because both have massively huge fanbases, game exclusives, successful online platforms and most importantly, both consoles fit into different consumers' lifestyles. In some cases BOTH products fit into a household's lifestyle for a plethora of reasons. In my mind, both are winners. One may be clearly superior on paper, but I gotta say, I rarely see it in a majority of real world circumstances.

Back