• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

PS4 Announced

The chassis design isn't meant to appeal to us. Their primary demographic doesn't care about integrating it into a home theater rack. The vast majority of game consoles find homes sitting next to the TV so a slim vertical chassis makes sense.

Just curious, what don't you guys like about it. I've never owned a Playstation, so it looks fine to me, but it would be nice to have a game system that was more home theater friendly, at least in the looks.

For me, I'm tired of these overly flashy designs. I realize that HT geeks aren't the core target audience. But as these machines become more and more powerful, they can truly be the hub of an entertainment system. But I don't want it to look out of place in my gear rack. The more stealthy in appearance the better. I'm certain that's highly unlikely, but I don't want a god-awful design like that pictured above either.

Does it work? The last one supposedly done "everything", but I found it would/wouldn't:

stream audio from my computer
updated veerrry slow
wouldn't log onto Netflix
constantly wanted to update
did I mentioned the updates were slow?
DVD/BD playback varied
Bluetooth remote lost connection (not the batteries).

The first 6 months were awesome, but then it got to the point I got pissed every time I looked at it. I can't remember the DVD, but when it got to the point I couldn't get it to play one of my kid's DVD, I decided to sell it only to learn everyone that would like a PS3 wanted a Xbox 360 instead.

I didn't have to pay for mine, but still lesson learned.

Thanks Batman, that's what I thought. It would be nice if all game consoles at least had a version that looked more like a piece of theater equipment rather than a gaming system.

My PS3 works fine for streaming, but the interface is a bit clunky and lacking for navigating a media library. I mostly just use it for disc playback and use my Roku for everything else.

I wouldn't pull the trigger on the PS4 before seeing what has been cooked up with the new Xbox anyway. I'm also in no big hurry for either.

I am really looking forward to seeing the new Xbox, because of all the rumors of an integrated multi-tuner CableCARD DVR. If those rumors prove to be unfounded, I probably won't bother with either platform, but will invest in building a more powerful media server with a CableCARD four-channel tuner build in. I already have software that works with Windows media center that can remove all of the ads as it transcodes recorded shows to mp4 and puts them in a directory accessible to PLEX media server for playback on my Roku boxes.

I'll be shocked if the next Xbox comes with a cable card tuner. Even if it does, there is no way that CATV providers are willing to let the Xbox take the place of their DVR. More likely is that the Xbox will work with IP based services, or as a STB as Uverse does.

The cable companies have no choice if it is CableCARD compliant. That is how TiVo works.

Back