• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

PSA XV15 Then XS30 Now

Re: PSA XV15

The silence is deafening. Hopefully you have an ear-to-ear grin and can't tear yourself away from enjoying the new toy.

heeman said:
You guys are a blast!!!

Without this wonderful job of mine ( :hand: ) I wouldn't have a new sub or a home theater..........

So I just had to suck it up and go back to work!

On the bright side, I should be home in about 2 hrs firing up the PSA XV15..... :eek:bscene-buttred:

You are too awesome Heeman!

Sometimes, REAL life just gets in the way!!!

The new sub is a significant improvement from the 12" SVS.

Low end extension and tightness is where the XV15 really shines.

I got it tuned in really quickly with the limited placement options.

Put in Tron and listened to the typical reference scenes and later we watched Ghost Protocol.

Blown away................. the verdict is still out, however SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT without a doubt!!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

heeman said:

Put in Tron and listened to the typical reference scenes and later we watched Ghost Protocol.

Blown away................. the verdict is still out, however SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT without a doubt!!

It's about damn time...sheeesh. And for the record, I don't want to hear anymore about your wonderful job...blah, blah, blah.

Congrats and happy listening!

Rope

heeman said:

Lower end extension is there, lower distortion (tightness) is there what else do you need to make the call? :think:

Rope said:
heeman said:

It's about damn time...sheeesh. And for the record, I don't want to hear anymore about your wonderful job...blah, blah, blah.

Congrats and happy listening!

Rope

The Wonderful Job statement was EXTREMELY SARCASTIC!!! It has actually been HELL for the past 1..5 yrs..........

This Reno/HT Project has been very good for me mentally and physically.

Carry On.....................

yromj said:
AWESOME!!!! THOU SUCKETH!!!

How does it sound w/ music?

John

This is where I am having some issues..........

It is better than the 12" SVS for sure, however being that I do not have any Bass Traps in the room yet and actually only 1 set of first reflection absorbers, the room is not optimum.

PLEASE, PLEASE Recommend some good reference Music Material for me to use to evaluate this wonderful new addition.

Thanks!

Brian Bromberg's "Wood" is my go-to for bass testing, though it's acoustic bass so maybe not quite as low as stuff with an electric bass. Junior Wells' "Come On In This House" SACD has some seriously low bass stuff esp. in the first few tracks - plus good surround demo and just plain good music, too.

PaulyT said:
Brian Bromberg's "Wood" is my go-to for bass testing, though it's acoustic bass so maybe not quite as low as stuff with an electric bass. Junior Wells' "Come On In This House" SACD has some seriously low bass stuff esp. in the first few tracks - plus good surround demo and just plain good music, too.

Thank you sir, I mean Gangsta!

Over this coming up weekend I will play with the "Gain" adjustment and Cross-Over Frequencies.

Even though I did some measurements with the Radio Crack SPL Meter last night, I need to continue to tune to what sounds right.

Thanks for all the suggestions and suckage.........

If you haven't already noticed, the gain adjustment needs to be set higher on PSA subs compared to most others; usually around the 2 - 3 o'clock position.

CMonster said:
If you haven't already noticed, the gain adjustment needs to be set higher on PSA subs compared to most others; usually around the 2 - 3 o'clock position.

I didn't experience that last night.......12 o'clock on the sub and -1.5 on the AVR got me dialed in. This was after adjusting the Phase.

Alrighty then, never mind. I contacted Tom thinking something might be wrong with mine because I was getting very little output when the gain was set at 12:00. Other people have posted similar experiences in the AVS thread...

Hey, it is great to share info concerning equipment performance and other Audio/Video stuff.......

On a side note, can you recommend a wine similar to the Meritage or Apothic Red Blends.......

You see, that is why I love this place!!

We just had the Decoy Napa County Red Wine last night and it was pretty good and we also like Kendall-Jackson Summation. Coppola Claret is another one to try.

Track / Artist / CD Title (why & how I use this track)
School / Supertramp / Crime of the Century - remastered (full & well-balanced musical spectrum, very dense arrangements, two singers with different tones, somewhat dynamic)

Rikki Don''t Lose that Number / Steely Dan / Pretzel Logic - remastered (well balanced, very live & in your face instrument sound, hidden percussion in the background, very basic to very complex arrangement)

Track #2 / Sheffield Track Record (very dynamic, lots of treble done right)

Oh What a World / Rufus Wainwright / Want One (Extremely big arragement, extremely dense, full power orchestral SPL levels)

XYZ / Hiromi / Another Mind (sounds like real instruments in the room, fast, dense, complex, bass can get buried in the left hand of the piano)

Pengiuns / Lyle Lovett / I Love Everybody (Most natural dynamics of any recording I have, sounds like real musicians in the room)

Before my Heart Attacks + Afraid Himself to be / Jason Faulkner / Author Unknown (Smooth, natural, well intentioned constrasting first track to second on tonality and feeling)

Softly, as in a morning sunrise + Surrey with a fringe on top / Tierney Sutton / I''m with the Band (Live recording, natural dynamics, stunning musicianship, wide frequency range)

Don''t Give Up / Peter Gabriel / So (unbelievable bass sound requiring a very good properly tuned sub to truly appreciate, very emotional, complex mix of Kate Bush''s vocals, natural piano sound)

We Do What We''re Told / Peter Gabriel / So (Vocal harmonies appear to float around the room and fall from the ceiling when the stereo soundstage is perfect, shows flaws in acoustics)

Sunset / Kate Bush / Aerial Disc 2 (dense, detailed, complex, dynamic, full bodied, emotional, and mood altering - shows weakness in resolution and detail). Plus the bass is revealing and impressive.

At the End of the Day / Spock's Beard / V (complex, huge, detailed with lots of fine hidden sounds - lots of styles and instruments played throughout the track providing a broad range of sound and playing)

Surf's Up + Good Vibrations / Brian Wilson / Smile (dense, complex, emotional, and haunting)

The Last Angel / Pallas / The Dreams of Men (big mix, drums are in your face, opera singer blends with music and requires a high resolution speaker to make out details)

Trollywood / Eisley / Room Noises (in your face, punchy, very tight vocal harmonies - can get lost in music on a great system)

Track #2 / Karpatt / n/a (Dynamic, in your face acoustic strings instruments and very dense upper bass from heavy male vocals - requires very accurate upper bass from speakers to really make out the singing)

Let Them Talk / Elvis Costello / Punch the Clock (Dense, detailed, dynamic)
And finally, some silly song from my past.

I played Pete Gabriels' Don't Give up and the bass track sounded much better on the XV15 than the 12" SVS.

I have a couple of the other on the list and will listen to them over the weekend.

Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You

Bonnie Raitt - I Can't Make You Love Me

Bruce Hornsby - Madman Across The Water

These 3 I use as Reference most of the time.

heeman said:
PLEASE, PLEASE Recommend some good reference Music Material for me to use to evaluate this wonderful new addition.
Didn't you recently buy 'Trilogy' by The Weeknd? I know it's not your type of music but I'm certain it will be of great use to you in this sense.

CMonster said:
We just had the Decoy Napa County Red Wine last night and it was pretty good and we also like Kendall-Jackson Summation. Coppola Claret is another one to try.

Agreed.

However (and based on recent experience), I do not recommend it as the eighth bottle shared by four individuals (two of those bottles having been doubles), at 2:30am, as a "nightcap" - especially when the person suggesting it goes by the name of "Babs". This could result in mild headache and an attempt by one's body to reject itself the next day.

Jeff

Back