• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Pulled the trigger! Shure SE846 - in BLUE!

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
As most of you know, I am a fanboi for Shure's IEMs, have been forever, it seems. I current have in my possession one pair of the SE315 IEMs which are stored in my 1998 F150 and get used mostly in the gym, and two pairs of SE535 IEMs, one pair on a standard cable and the other pair on the Android compatible Mic/Cable. I carry the two sets of SE535s in my carry-on bag when I travel and use them ALL the friggin' time. Hell, I recently flew from Barcelona to Austin and realized I wore the SE535 IEMs in my ears for over 19 hours straight without removing them. Seriously!

I use them with the Large Black Foam expanding ear sleeves.

Well, ever since the announcement of the SE846 version of the Shure IEMs, I developed a very painful boner for them which has not gone limp once. I have desired them deeply. Today I placed an order for a pair, in BLUE!!!

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/ ... -earphones

I am very tempted to go to an audiologist and have custom molds made for the ear sleeves. After spending this much on IEMs, it only makes sense, right?

111853941576_1.jpg

According to the shipper, I should have them by Thursday evening.

YEA!

Flint said:
I am very tempted to go to an audiologist and have custom molds made for the ear sleeves. After spending this much on IEMs, it only makes sense, right?
Anything less would be comparable to filling the gas tank of your new Maserati with water.

Wow! I haven't spent that much even on full-size headphones (well, at least not on any single one). I look forward to your review!

Considering the vast amount of my life spent with IEMs in my ears, I think this is good investment. I spend more time listening to music on planes and in airports than anywhere else.

Yeah, that makes sense. Invest where it's important to you.

Congrats Franklin!

I'd love to have a listen to them (with a stock / non-custom ear sleeve) at a future GTG.

Jeff

Dang! I was so excited to be able to break them during my many flights this past weekend, but they didn't arrive. Why didn't they arrive? The shipper did everything in their power to ensure they wouldn't arrive. I paid extra for rush FedEx shipping, but they didn't come in when they should have - well, they did come to my house, but I wasn't there. Despite my carefully written special instructions insisting the drive NOT require a signature and to leave the package on the doorstep, the shipper checked the "signature required" box AND paid for business day delivery only. So, it was shipped requiring my signature to my residence only on weekdays is a 100% guarantee I will NEVER receive the package from the driver. DAMN!

I finally got the time to go online and raise hell with FedEx, which they were very kind to try and help, but that meant redirecting the package to Arlington, VA, where I was going to be since I left Austin on Saturday after missing the driver two days in a row. Normally FedEx would have charged me for the redirection of the package - full price for shipping from Austin to Arlington, but they were VERY kind to me and covered the cost. Kudos to FedEx for covering the additional cost.

THEN!!! Guess what!!! GUESS!!!

The package STILL required my signature AND could only be delivered on weekdays. So, again, I was guaranteed to never get it even after shipping to Arlington. What a screw-up!

So, I called FedEx, was whiny and demanding and repeating the story all over again with the new info, and they took mercy on me (kudos to FedEx) and they shipped the package to a FedEx (Kinkos) storefront about 2 miles from my home in Arlington. Today after work I got off at a different Metro station than usual, walked to the FedEx store, and signed for my package. The weather was really nice, so I chose to walk the two miles to my house, and it was pleasant.

It should have arrived last Thursday, and I am pissed I didn't get them then, but here I am five days later, and I have my new top of the line super-duper fancy IEMs.

I have registered them with Shure and put the proper foam sleeves on them, but I won't get to really listen to them for a day, or so. I am swamped tonight and have many calls to make to Asia.

Included were the two sets of filters for a "bright" sound and a "soft" sound, the tool for installing them, and all the normal array of sleeves and adapters, and an attenuator. What I really liked was the great cable they shipped with these, which is thinner yet beefier feeling than the standard cable I got with my lower end Shure IEMs. To my surprise they included a spare cable identical the one installed on the IEMs. They also put everything in a really kick ass waterproof plastic case like fishermen and adventure seekers pay top dollar for. I can use that in my travel bags to carry stuff - perfect size for my rolling PC bag!

The blue color is perfect for a nerdy guy like me, but I imagine most people would find them too garish.

I hope to try them out on my commute into the office tomorrow, but that isn't a perfect situation for critical listening. I will try to make time tomorrow night to seriously put time into them.

Yea!!!

I will be writing Amazon about the shipping issues. I think they should have to repay me for the rush shipping I didn't get to enjoy.

i get this a lot. especially with packages that matter or are time sensitive to me.

give them a call instead of an email, and let them know the importance of the delivery. at this point you can get your shipping cost back, a month of amazon prime (which was 8.99 worth i think), or both.

all in all, i normally go with the prime, or if they can replace it for me.

hoping to hear from you about the iems. :happy-smileygiantred:

I have a love/hate relationship with Amazon's shipping and customer service departments.

I'm glad you finally got your new headphones Flint.

Flint said:
I will be writing Amazon about the shipping issues. I think they should have to repay me for the rush shipping I didn't get to enjoy.
Do you have a FedEx "SNR" sticker on your mailbox(es)? A scan of the sticker's barcode becomes your signature - when one is required.

They're easy to get and save a lot of hassles 99% of the time. The other 1% is where the sender checks / specifies that SNR stickers are not acceptable - which has only ever happened to me once (for a Government of Canada shipment containing my new passport) - or when duties / taxes are owing (and you've not contacted the courier to pay them before the package gets loaded onto the driver's truck for delivery).

Other courier companies have similar programs in place, and I've got stickers on my mailbox for those that do. UPS, however, is the most anal-retentive bass-ackwards courier company in the world and should be avoided at all costs. (I've been consistently saying this for over a decade - and nothing has changed with them to change that opinion.)

Jeff

How do the "SNR" labels work for those w/o accessible mailboxes? Our neighborhood has all the mailboxes at a single spot. They are like post office boxes where only the mailman can put anything in it. As such all FedEX deliveries have to be brought to the door.

I didn't get a sticker, note, whatever, on my door until the last day they attempted to deliver when the note said the package was going to be held at the FedEx office about 2 miles from my place. Sucks big green donkey dicks, y'know.

Okay... tonight after work I went into the TV studio in my office and hooked up my phone and my two sets of IEMs (SE535 and the new SE846) into matching headphone amps in the mastering/editing room and spent about an hour with them. Listening only to WMA Lossless tracks on my Samsung S7 Edge feeding their Mackie mixer which fed the Presonus headphone amps I made these observations....

The overall timber between the 535 and the 846 is very similar, except the 846 offers deeper bass and more obvious treble (using the default filters).

The midrange of the 846 IEMs is clearer with MUCH cleaner and more accurate reproduction.

The upper bass is similar between the two.

The deep bass was more extended and more dynamic than the 535.

The overall impression is that the 846 is as transparent as I have ever heard from any speaker or headphone. With instruments and sounds just existing in my ears - no hint of the nature or characteristic of the IEM. This is my holy grail - accurate reproduction of the source.

I am definitely saving up for customer molds!!!

Okay, guys, it has been over a week and I have logged about 15 hours with these IEMs. They are still the best sounding IEM earphones I have ever heard. I am starting to think they may be the best sounding headphone of any type I have heard.

Flint said:
Okay, guys, it has been over a week and I have logged about 15 hours with these IEMs. They are still the best sounding IEM earphones I have ever heard. I am starting to think they may be the best sounding headphone of any type I have heard.

Wow!

I can sum up the sound like this: perfectly accurate

Everything sounds real. By that I mean, every sound effect, every musical instrument, every voice sounds real, like I am in the room where the sound is being made. Perfectly.

The bass is completely invisible - except when it is strong in the content. Then it rattle my head. The treble is natural, smooth, and clean. The midrange is detailed, dynamic, and perfectly balanced. The upper bass is natural and clear.

I am blown away.

I really think I need to have custom molds made.

Back