• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Question about potentially improving the way Bose sounds?

AndySTL

My parents have had a Bose Acoustimass speaker set (i.e. they don't have the Bose player, they use a standard receiver) that they've had for about 15 years. Everything was wired in their walls and installed properly and they're actually quite happy with it. I was wondering if they could possible improve their sound by adding a second higher quality sub to their setup. For example, could they crossover the new sub to operate from 0 hz - 100 hz and the Bose sub/sats to operate from 100 hz - above? I know the Bose systems have poor performance, but is it limited to low freq range? Would this augmentation just be lipstick on a pig?

Re: Question about potentially improving the way Bose sounds

I don't doubt for a second that adding a good sub will improve the performance of your parents system.

My meager beginnings with HT was with small Yamaha satillites including an 8" sub. I added a JBL PB12 which made a appreciable difference.

Rope

If they are not using the "Bose system" and just using the speakers they should replace the sub completely. The "Bose Module" is not meant and can't play below 100Hz so they are missing a lot a information/sound.

Don't use both.. that's for sure. But getting a small sub to replace it will do wonders for their sound. Maybe an 8" or even 10" if they can swing it.

wait a min... what is the frequency response of the sat speakers?

Razz said:
If they are not using the "Bose system" and just using the speakers they should replace the sub completely. The "Bose Module" is not meant and can't play below 100Hz so they are missing a lot a information/sound.

Don't use both.. that's for sure. But getting a small sub to replace it will do wonders for their sound. Maybe an 8" or even 10" if they can swing it.

But the Bose Module plays in a range that the cubes cannot handle. I'm not sure what the range is on the cubes, but let's say it's 150 hz and up. Could it be something like this?

New sub: 0-100
Bose Module: 100 - 150
Bose cubes: 150+

Does that make sense?

How is it wired now? Is the Bose module connected to the receiver's sub out?

im a bit rusty,

but wouldnt a somewhat inexpensive sub can also replace it that is capable of 200hz and below...

sony comes to mind, its not the best one, but can do.

My folks had the acousticrap system and if my memory serves correctly you could only use the speakers with the Bose bass module. I recall the bass module consisted of three 5.25" speakers and could achieve bass down to about 50Hz. Since your folks are using a regular receiver make sure it has bass management. I would hook the regular channels using the bose bass module and then hook up a decent 12" sub set the speakers to be crossed at 80Hz to the outboard sub. So the sub would handle 20-80hz the bass module from 80-150hz and the speakers 150Hz on up. This should give your folks more oomph and lower distortion than that Bose bass module trying to do anything below 50Hz.

I would bypass that bass module completly and just use a small sub to cover 20-150.
Those Bose "Modules" absolutely suck.
Im betting a huge improvement this way.

BTW Matt,
I think what you are are saying works well with your system but your system is obviously much higher quality then a "bose module"

Towen7 said:
How is it wired now? Is the Bose module connected to the receiver's sub out?

I can't remember. It's been so long since I've had the receiver pulled out of the cabinet. I think it may not be connected to the sub out.

I also think that running the cubes without the module may not be an option. The module contains the crossover for all the cube. I think all five speaker connections run from receiver to module and then from module to cube. This is why I don't think they could replace the module with another sub.

Adding a subwoofer will do nothing to replace the missing midrange and top end treble of the Bose system. It won't cut the upper bass boost of the bass module. It isn't going to reduce the distortions in the primary listening band of 500Hz to 5kHz. All it will do is add impact and depth to the bottom end, the lowest 5% of the sound spectrum.

No... I recommend a slow and carefully planned transition to a proper pair of speakers which sound natural and real. They can also be small, like the little Focal speakers I have grown to appreciate.

Flint said:
Adding a subwoofer will do nothing to replace the missing midrange and top end treble of the Bose system. It won't cut the upper bass boost of the bass module. It isn't going to reduce the distortions in the primary listening band of 500Hz to 5kHz. All it will do is add impact and depth to the bottom end, the lowest 5% of the sound spectrum.

No... I recommend a slow and carefully planned transition to a proper pair of speakers which sound natural and real. They can also be small, like the little Focal speakers I have grown to appreciate.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to figure out. If the shortcomings were more than just the bottom end. I guess the old saying is true, No highs and no lows, must be Bose.

I don't think they care to make any changes, so they can continue enjoying what they have. I was just hoping to give them an unexpected boost.

It still seems to me that if the satellite speakers are running from the receiver to the module and the module is doing the cross-over.. you can simply remove the module and run the satelite speakers direct from the receiver. Let the receiver do the crossing over, it was made to do just that.
Then add a new small sub covering your low end and cross it over at 150Hz.

To me this will sound a LOT better.. AND...It's the first step toward eventually getting a new sound system as Flint suggested.

In doing some quick research, it looks like the response on the cubes begins at 280 hz. I don't think their receiver can be crossed over that high. Even if it could, I'm not sure any new sub could effectively cover 0 - 279 hz. The module allegedly has a response from 50-200. So the current setup has a gap from 200 - 279. Oh well, I think this may end up being a waste of time.

maybe find a good deal to replace the front 3 to something like the Focal's or KEF small speakers. Something that can crossover easier with a proper sub. I know they don't want new, but I doubt they'd kick up much fuss if you showed up with the stuff. No doubt they will hear a difference. Hell, that Jamo system I picked up for $200 would trounce the Bose in a side by side.

AndySTL said:
In doing some quick research, it looks like the response on the cubes begins at 280 hz. I don't think their receiver can be crossed over that high. Even if it could, I'm not sure any new sub could effectively cover 0 - 279 hz. The module allegedly has a response from 50-200. So the current setup has a gap from 200 - 279. Oh well, I think this may end up being a waste of time.

you can consider changing the center channel too, and go from there.

how 'built in' is built in tho, i remembered your original posting saying its already configured and stuff.

you can just change the fronts and work with the surrounds.

Yeah... with the satellites crossing over that high I retract my idea of just replacing the Module with a sub. :oops:

Thanks for the responses guys. They definitely don't want to replace the system. This was just an idea I had. They'll be fine as-is.

Back