• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Questions About Cutting the Cord?

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
You guys have me very interested in what you are doing to get away from the $$$/Month for Cable/Satellite broadcast.

So being the novice that I am, can someone here help me sort this out.

1. I understand OTA and being able to obtain ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX.

2. How would I be able to get say, Food Network, Fox Sports 1, Home and Garden, etc??

3. DVR would be a must.

4. We do not have Apple or any I stuff.

5. Yes be both still have flip phones.

6. In the HT, we basically watch very, very limited satellite, 99% is Blu Ray.

7. The Den would be the only area we would need this.

If you want just point me to a couple of links, I will read and come back if I need additional support.

:text-thankyoublue:

Cutting the cord can require a bit of a paradigm shift. We almost never watch live television at all. We either watch programming recorded on the DVR or we stream stuff on demand. There is a rapidly decreasing amount of overlap between Netflix, Amazon and Hulu, but the three combined offer a mountain of programming that you could never begin to watch. One of the reasons I like the Roku platform (other than dead-simple ease of use) is the proliferation of channels. There are tons of free cooking and lifestyle channels, for instance. If there are current season shows that you want to follow, a lot are available for sale on a per season or per episode basis from either Vudu or Amazon. This can make economic sense vs. paying for a cable package if the number of shows is within reason. Remember that back seasons are almost always available for streaming on one of the services for free.

Thanks Haywood.

I have been educating myself about all of this and I think we are getting close.

I picked up a Mohu Leaf 50 mile and could not pull in Fox HD which is 31 miles away. So the Mohu is going back, however I am sure there is a antenna solution out there that will let me get the needed OTA Channels.

Just so I understand your DVR Solution is only to record your local channels.

I am considering the SlingTV $20/Month package with a 50% off Roko 3 (3 Month subscription) and go the route like Walls.

My basically bare bones Direct& bill is around $132/Month. With SlingTV and maybe Huluplus we will be saving close to $100/month. We will almost never stream movies due to watching Blu Rays in the HT.

^^I assume you powered up the MoHu with the supplied USB cable and wall wart? If not, it's not gonna pull in shyt.

Batman said:
^^I assume you powered up the MoHu with the supplied USB cable and wall wart? If not, it's not gonna pull in shyt.

Yes sir, I actually power the antenna amplifier through the TV's USB. Received 23 channels, but not FOX HD which is the furthest from us.

I am currently looking for other options.

I did just sign up for 3 months of SlingTV to take advantage of the $50 Roku 3 to try this stuff out.

Are you willing to go rooftop? That'll make a helluva difference. Attics can be very hit or miss. Since the MoHu isn't gonna cut it, you'll probably have to drop $125-150 on an antenna. I can't stress enough how sensitive those fukkers are, 4-6" up/down/left/right and a slight variance in the angle could make all the difference. It can be quite frustrating actually.

Roof Top or at least above the roof line is not allowed in our neighborhood, I will most likely try the attic option. Fun! Fun! Fun!

heeman said:
Roof Top or at least above the roof line is not allowed in our neighborhood, I will most likely try the attic option. Fun! Fun! Fun!

Same here. My HOA wont let me mount anything than be seen from the street. So while on the roof is okay it'll have to go on the BACKside of the house and below the top of the roof. The problem is that the local transmitters are directly in FRONT of the house.

I guess that in theory inside the attic may actually for me since I'd have one less layer of plywood and roofing material to affect the signal.

An antenna on the back of our house is actually favorable for pointing West, I may try the attic first.

Just a note about HOA's not allowing antenna's, sat dish's.....you can install those antenna's, sat dish's, etc. Here's a link from the FCC (show it to your HOA).

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-rece ... vices-rule

Now what the HOA's can prevent is HAM, FM/AM, Radio, antenna's. They cannot prevent you from TV reception by way of OTA.
Also in regards to rental property. If you have exclusive rights to a patio etc, you can install a sat dish and/or antenna. You can't put them in a shared area though.

Try moving the Mohu up about a foot, like what Batmn said just a couple inches makes a huge difference. Took me quite a few tries to finally find the ideal spot, I actuall run five tv's off that antenna.

Check what the output of FOX HD is also. My FOX HD broadcast tower was not full power for sometime. When they went full power it came in great.

I found it.....................

KFXV-LD

Service Designation: LD Low-Power Digital TV Station

So how do I find out if or when they will change the power?

I am within the Min Field Strength Contour. I friend of mine gets it, but with an old style antenna in his attic and he is further out then I am. I am hoping that this new antenna will pull it in!

Barney said:
Just a note about HOA's not allowing antenna's, sat dish's.....you can install those antenna's, sat dish's, etc. Here's a link from the FCC (show it to your HOA).

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-rece ... vices-rule

Friends and neighbors of mine have lost that battle using the same rules you linked to. In the end we agreed to the bylaws and rules of the HOA when we bought the house and they don't prevent us from using an antenna, only where we put it. The HOA makes the argument that we can get acceptable signal reception while abiding by the restrictions, without incurring "unreasonable expense".

Just saying, the HOA can't legally keep you from having an antenna and/or sat dish. The Courts will back the home owner. They can hassel you, use scare tactis etc but the homeowner has the right. You can sue the HOA for harrassment if need be. If you bow down to the HOA, thats your choice.

Not bowing down Barn. I can and, as a matter of fact, do have an antenna. It's just not in the ideal place.

My HOA isn't keeping me from having anything. They're just keeping me from putting it on the south side of my roof.

Back