• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Questions About Cutting the Cord?

The HOA can insist you get approval on where you put the Antenna, as long as their recommendation will get the job done they can prevent you from putting up a tower in your front lawn.

walls said:
Try moving the Mohu up about a foot, like what Batmn said just a couple inches makes a huge difference. Took me quite a few tries to finally find the ideal spot, I actuall run five tv's off that antenna.
Dang. I wish I knew this last summer; I had plenty of time to play and wouldn't have given up on OTA so quickly... :|

Flint said:
The HOA can insist you get approval on where you put the Antenna, as long as their recommendation will get the job done they can prevent you from putting up a tower in your front lawn.

Yes, they can prevent a tower (note the height restrictions in the rule). Here is the law on the antenna:
"
In addition, antennas covered by the rule may be mounted on "masts" to reach the height needed to receive or transmit an acceptable quality signal (e.g. maintain line-of-sight contact with the transmitter or view the satellite). Masts higher than 12 feet above the roofline may be subject to local permitting requirements for safety purposes. Further, masts that extend beyond an exclusive use area may not be covered by this rule."

So by this law Towen, if where your antenna is mounted & it can receive the signal then your HOA can limit your install. If it couldn't receive an acceptable signal the you have the right to mount it on the south side.

Well the Winegard FS6550A, didn't pull in the FOX HD station either, even outside, so it is going back. It did get 9 more channels than the Mohu Leaf, but mainly stations from Mexico. I am going to try a traditional similar to the Channel Master CM2018. Can't wait to get the ROKU 3, it should be here by Tuesday.

Interesting, did you enter your zip code at antennaweb.org and see if you're aiming in the correct direction for Fox? ~30 miles is well withing range of a lot of antennas. :think:

Weird, I am 45-50 miles from St. Louis and at least that far out of range for pretty much all the channels and the Mohu got all of them for me. Like I said it was a shit ton of trial and error but we finally found the sweet spot.

I'm still in the trial and error stage with my Winegard Flatwave. The location I had it in worked fine for all but once channel if it wasn't raining and that channel was finicky based on cloud cover. This was frustrating, as we are only 15 miles from the towers. I just moved it over about three feet and up about a foot and my signal strength seems better. I'm hoping this will solve my problems.

Batman said:
Interesting, did you enter your zip code at antennaweb.org and see if you're aiming in the correct direction for Fox? ~30 miles is well withing range of a lot of antennas. :think:

Yes Sir! TVFOOL.COM and all that stuff. Speaking with Technical Support at Winegard they said it may be difficult without a direction antenna, that's what I will try next, but not today, I got into a fight with a bottle of wine and a bottle of bourbon last night in the home theater and I lost, big time!

:eek:bscene-drinkingdrunk: :eek:bscene-drinkingdrunk: :eek:bscene-drinkingdrunk:

See ... It's this kind of aggravation that I don't think the typical consumer is prepared or equipped to deal with.

Takes a while to weed through the crap but there is actually good FREE programming, you just have to find it.

heeman said:
I spoke to a Tech Support guy at Channel Master today and explained everything that I tried.

He recommended the SMARTenna CM 3000HD. He seemed pretty convinced that this should do the trick, recommend mounting in the attic, but try inside the house first.

$45 Amazon Prime, it will be here on Wednesday.

http://www.channelmaster.com/SMARTenna_HD_Antenna_p/cm-3000hd.htm

Mounted this in the attic today, guess what, no FOX HD. So now it is boxed up and going back.

When messing with this SMARTenna a week or so ago, there was a spot outside that DID get FOX HD, however would not in a mountable accessible spot.

Next attempt will be a traditional antenna, hopefully mounted in the attic.

Back