• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

R.E.M. is calling it quits

I never was an R.E.M. Fan.

I guess it's time to pick up a greatest hits compilation CD for my collection.

Any suggestions???

Not an REM fan, so can't say I'll miss them.

I just never felt their music was that interesting.

I never heard of REM, can we put some of their albums in the obscure section?

heeman said:

Any suggestions???

Skip a compilation and get Automatic for the People.

Batman said:
I never heard of REM, can we put some of their albums in the obscure section?

Uh-oh... this reminds me of when the Apple fans get hung up on "iPod Touch" vs "iTouch". Of course, there is no iTouch officially. To be fair, as far as R.E.M. goes, I've probably left the periods out just as often as I've put them in. :violence-torch:

If you do go the compilation route, then I'd recommend getting these two so that you kind of cover the early years (more college-oriented rock) and their later years (all the big hits). They're both fairly cheap when purchased used.

And I Feel Fine... The Best of The I.R.S. Years 1982-1987
51e071g1EkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

In Time: The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003
51bKm12CZwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Never been a huge fan, but never disliked them either. I think I have Automatic For the People somewhere.

R.E.M. is kinda like "house beer" at a friend's house. It may not be the brand you prefer, but you don't mind drinking it if it's offered to you either.

AndySTL said:
heeman said:

Any suggestions???

Skip a compilation and get Automatic for the People.

I half-agree, but get Fables of the Reconstruction instead, when they were still true Alt. Best music ever for 4 am, whether you're still up, or just getting up.

I have Document, Green, Out of Time, Automatic for the People and Monster. I really liked R.E.M. in college, but I haven't bought an album of theirs since 1994.

Comment seen on Facebook:
"Thanks for the Murmuries..."
:happy-smileygiantred:

Comment seen on another forum:

Rumor is that Michael Stipe is heading to the PAC-12.

:laughing-rolling:

I wonder if Kate Pierson of the B-52s is pissed off that R.E.M. has pretty much disowned "Shiny Happy People", a song she sang on? It doesn't even appear on the band's greatest hits album.

She also sings on "Me in Honey" which is a much, much better song. I know someone in R.E.M. once said that a few years after SHP they had a 'what the hell were we thinking' moment. Anyway, I used to be a huge R.E.M. fan but now I pretty much only go out of my way to listen to them when I'm mowing. Bigger fan of the early stuff and their last album I purchased was Up. Anyway I shall recite from memory the into Michael did for "I Believe" off of Life's Rich Pageant in the movie Tourfilm. Actually, screw that, I found it on the Youtube:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyGW6jUGtrM[/youtube]

But yeah, I have that memorized...

Back